Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 7,650 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I was hoping to visit Pelham Bay Park and then go into Manhattan for the weekend. If I can I was planning on driving to the park on Friday and take the metro into Manhattan where I'll stay until late Sunday. Is it possible to park on the street near the metro station for the duration of the weekend? Is it hard to find parking on Friday evening/night if I arrive late? Is this generally a good idea, or is there a different metro station that would serve my purposes better (as I could easily drive from Pelham Bay to a different park of the Bronx, though I would hope to take 4, 5, or 6 into Manhattan if possible).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 12:21 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_visitor View Post
Hello everyone,

I was hoping to visit Pelham Bay Park and then go into Manhattan for the weekend. If I can I was planning on driving to the park on Friday and take the metro into Manhattan where I'll stay until late Sunday. Is it possible to park on the street near the metro station for the duration of the weekend? Is it hard to find parking on Friday evening/night if I arrive late? Is this generally a good idea, or is there a different metro station that would serve my purposes better (as I could easily drive from Pelham Bay to a different park of the Bronx, though I would hope to take 4, 5, or 6 into Manhattan if possible).

Thanks!
Where are you coming from that you have to drive to Pelham Bay Park? Quite frankly, the best thing would be if you could take public transit TO Pelham Bay Park and then the subway or the BxM8 express bus from there. Weekends tend to be problematic with track work, so the subway from Pelham Bay Park may be a long ride.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Where are you coming from that you have to drive to Pelham Bay Park? Quite frankly, the best thing would be if you could take public transit TO Pelham Bay Park and then the subway or the BxM8 express bus from there. Weekends tend to be problematic with track work, so the subway from Pelham Bay Park may be a long ride.
Rural Massachusetts. Not particularly close to any form of public transit to get to Manhattan, and I've yet to find a bus that really does a good job of getting me to NY in a timely manner from my location. I'd be staying with a friend in midtown near one of the 4/5/6 stops, which is why I was looking for things near the line. The BxM8 bus looks pretty good, though the Sunday service is a bit far from where I would be staying. When you talk about the track work, would the trip be on the order of an hour and a half or longer? If it's longer the bus starts to look better, but if it's 1.5 hours or less I can deal with that.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Rural Massachusetts. Not particularly close to any form of public transit to get to Manhattan, and I've yet to find a bus that really does a good job of getting me to NY in a timely manner from my location. I'd be staying with a friend in midtown near one of the 4/5/6 stops, which is why I was looking for things near the line. The BxM8 bus looks pretty good, though the Sunday service is a bit far from where I would be staying. When you talk about the track work, would the trip be on the order of an hour and a half or longer? If it's longer the bus starts to look better, but if it's 1.5 hours or less I can deal with that.
Me personally I would try to drive to some place in MA that I'm familiar with and find a Bolt bus or something from there, but if that isn't at all possible given what you've stated, then you have to look at parking in Pelham Bay... Have you been there before? Some parts of the Bronx do have issues with car jacking, though Pelham Bay isn't a neighborhood that I think of in such instances, but still. My main gripe is you're going to park your car there for two days, jump on the subway or express bus and then come back. Westchester Avenue isn't a good spot IMO because it's a commercial area and under the El. A side street could be a good option, but some side streets can be a little too quiet up there, making your car an easy target. I feel like a better option would be to park in a parking lot somewhere where there are a lot of people that come and go so that your car won't stand out.

Back to your question about the 6 train. The 6 makes all stops on weekends, so you will be looking at a 45 minute to an hour commute to Midtown. Depending on the time of the day the BxM8 may be faster and definitely more comfortable. The cost is $6.50 each way and it runs every 30 minutes on Saturday and every hour on Sunday. Here is the schedule:

BxM8 express bus: http://web.mta.info/busco/schedules/bxm8cur.pdf

Old 12-11-2017, 06:58 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
Probably easy to find a place to park on a residential street around there but not late in the evening or at night.Get there late afternoon or early evening.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Probably easy to find a place to park on a residential street around there but not late in the evening or at night.Get there late afternoon or early evening.
This is good to know. Is it that I'll just have to park further away, or is it really hard to find parking at all late in the evening/at night? If it is the former, are there places that are consistently more likely to have parking at night?

Old 12-12-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
This is good to know. Is it that I'll just have to park further away, or is it really hard to find parking at all late in the evening/at night? If it is the former, are there places that are consistently more likely to have parking at night?
It's both. That's what I recommended what I did.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:00 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,197,063 times
But why Pelham bay park!? Like so many other parks in NYC even in the Bronx I feel Van Cortlandt is nicer

Old 12-15-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
But why Pelham bay park!? Like so many other parks in NYC even in the Bronx I feel Van Cortlandt is nicer
Pelham Bay Park is the largest park in NYC, and triple the size of Central Park, so there are things to see and do there. I knew a guy that would bike up in Pelham Bay Park. He lived in Morris Park.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:24 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,197,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Pelham Bay Park is the largest park in NYC, and triple the size of Central Park, so there are things to see and do there. I knew a guy that would bike up in Pelham Bay Park. He lived in Morris Park.
It's not very user friendly it's separated by highways. Technically it is the largest but much of the park around orchard beach is not really useable. It's just not a well planned or developed park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City