Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 05:57 PM

3 posts, read 17,315 times

Advertisements

I've been reading many of the posts and see that a lot of you guys provide great info, so hopefully I can get some good feedback. I am looking for an apartment for myself and I have narrowed it down to three locations: Pelham Parkway, Pelham Bay, and Riverdale. Pelham Parkway would be my first choice because I lived in Fordham my whole life so it wouldn't be too far from home, and it definitely has a comfortable community feeling with a urban/suburban mixture. I believe it to be a nice area with some greenlands a good place to run and relax, at the same time it has the walkability to nearby amenities, bus to shopping center, or Orchard beach, and towards the Fordham direction as well. So what I've been looking at are locations which i prefer to be close to transportation, quiet with an urban feel, safer than what Im used to, walking distance to shops, corner stores, supermarket, etc.

I work in midtown NY, in my early 20s make about 50k, still studying and will earn my degree soon. I lived with a roommate prior to this for 2 yrs, and now I am looking for my own place with these preferences. I need some advice on how I can go about looking for a place in these areas more efficiently while maintaining these preferences and is suitable for me based on my income. I guess what I'm really being picky about is wanting a more modern apartment or for an apartment in a private house while avoiding broker fees. Most ads on craigslist are appealing, but as most of you probably know, searching there for the right apartment for you is like a needle in a haystack.

Anybody in my position that can provide me with some worthy advice or direct me to the correct path?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 07:42 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
What exactly do you mean by " a more modern apartment " ?
I live in the Pelham Parkway neighborhood and have pretty good knowledge of most of the apartment buildings,rents,etc.The problem is that there are almost no truly new or "modern" apartment buildings in the area. Most of buildings are prewar and the newest buildings were built in 60's and 70's. However, you should be able to find a completely renovated apartment ( new kitchen, appliances, bath,windows and refinished floors,etc) in one of these buildings.Is this "modern" enough for you ? I ask only because I know there are some people who insist on new or almost new buildings,which I don't really understand .

This area of The Bronx is one of the most affordable in the city so you should have no problem finding a place you can afford.The apartments tend to be quite large so you might get by with a studio (around 800 or 900/mo).You could probably afford a 1br too as they are around 1,000/mo.

If you walk around and really look at the fronts of a lot of buildings in the area you will see signs,some small but some fairly large that say either apartment(s) for rent or apartment(s) available. Sometimes they say "apartment available,see superintendent".They almost always have a phone number.I see them every day.Most apartments you find this way are no fee and often the signs say "no fee".

I live in a great little area that is bounded by Pelham Parkway North to the South,Bronx Park East to the West,White Plains Road to the East and Waring Avenue to the North. It is really clean and quiet, has big old trees, is adjacent to the park and only a couple of blocks from the subway and all busses and many,many stores.Most of the buildings are coops but there are a lot of rental buildings and many have signs on them.Walk around and check it out.

There are lots of nice prewar buildings on the Avenues running South of Pelham Parkway and East of White Plains Road( Holland,Cruger,Matthews,Wallace,etc).A lot of them are on the parkway and have nice views.The further East you go here the less convenient it gets re closeness to shopping but still you are only about 5 or 6 blocks away.You are also in the zone that is equidistant from the 2 on White Plains Road and the 5 stops in Morris Park and on Pelham Parkway at Williamsbridge Road.This area of Pelham Parkway is in the process of being designated as an historic district and a lot of the buildings are being renovated.Here is a map : http://www.arch.columbia.edu/hp/studio/2006-2007/pdf/Pelham%20Parkway.pdf (broken link)

There are also a lot of buildings right around the Pelham Parkway stop on the 5 at the Williamsbridge Rd intersection and there is a separate shopping area there along Williamsbridge.

None of these areas are "hip" in any way but are relaxed,convenient and very affordable.

I would start by spending time in these areas,walking around and looking for signs.

Last edited by bluedog2; 07-26-2009 at 07:55 AM..

Old 07-26-2009, 09:16 AM

3 posts, read 17,315 times
Thanks for the reply Bluedog,

I know I can afford living on my own. Just wondering if I'll be able to add to my savings and not have to wipe out my checks every month. I calculated and it seemed possible.

I guess what I mean by modern is the most recently built buildings. I believe I've seen a couple on williamsbridge road with new walls, doors, floors, etc, but they can be renovated as you say, which would probably be modern enough for me.

I'm going to walk around again. I was there not too long ago along Pelham Parkway South and was able to get a few numbers posted on the buildings so I will call during business hours. Not so possible to find a private house this way. Only reason why i prefer that is because I lived in one with a roommate and it has that modern feel that I'm looking for and a convenient walk up. Also, I was able to park my motorcycle in the garage. It's something I just I'm used to. Too bad they don't have a listing for just private houses

Old 07-26-2009, 09:44 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
I have seen apartment for rent signs on 2 and 3 family houses in the area, though not as frequently, so keep your eyes open.Also,I think on Craig's list there may be an option for looking only at " for rent by owner" listings. That might help.
A lot of the 50's,60's and 70's buildings in the area have garages underneath.You usually have to pay extra for the garage space but it might not be too much for a motorcycle.Also,a lot of homeowners rent their garages/driveways to neighbors,etc.
Check out the laundromats,supermarkets,deli's,etc for rental postings on bulletin boards too.I see a lot of them around.
If you are making 50 K you are very comfortably below the 40x rent rule so you should be able to save as well ,unless you spend a lot going out to bars and restaurants.It is a very inexpensive neighborhood to live in.I moved here from Brooklyn and was shocked that everything in all the stores is so much cheaper here.Same with the restaurants.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,396 times
I neeed an apartment for rent in a 2 or 3 family home in pelhem parkway!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City