Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 01:04 PM

881 posts, read 615,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You've been in NYC 35 years and you don't know what neighborhoods are safe and aren't safe up to this point? How? Don't you have friends, watch the news, get info from City-Data?
I didn't say I don't know; I just said it was more and more a consideration for me -- since you believed that folks for whom that's a question are probably not used to an urban environment.

I think safety is a "legitimate" concern for anyone. There are even NYPD veterans who will tell you how they don't "feel safe" working certain precincts as compared to others.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:19 PM

954 posts, read 939,392 times
Quote:
You've been in NYC 35 years and you don't know what neighborhoods are safe and aren't safe up to this point? How? Don't you have friends, watch the news, get info from City-Data?
Seriously, this is what I was thinking. You seriously still have to ask? IMO if your that clueless it’s time to move to the burbs.

It’s one thing asking a friend, it’s another thing posting on a message board.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:14 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
I've always said that there is a difference between being safe in a neighborhood and feeling comfortable in a neighborhood. Those are two entirely different things that people frequently can't always separate. Depending on where you are, who you are, what time of day or night it is, how many people are on the street, and so on, you can easily have one (safety or comfort) without having the other. Or you can have the both. Or you can have neither.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:51 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
There's no longer anywhere in NYC I wouldn't go if I had a reason to be there. There's a handful of neighborhoods I would only go to if I had a reason. There's PLENTY of hoods I wouldn't live in though.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:44 PM

954 posts, read 939,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I've always said that there is a difference between being safe in a neighborhood and feeling comfortable in a neighborhood. Those are two entirely different things that people frequently can't always separate. Depending on where you are, who you are, what time of day or night it is, how many people are on the street, and so on, you can easily have one (safety or comfort) without having the other. Or you can have the both. Or you can have neither.
Yes I would feel comfortable in east new york because I grew up there. But it is far from safe.

How can you ask total strangers to gauge your comfort level? That’s insane.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:48 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
There's no longer anywhere in NYC I wouldn't go if I had a reason to be there. There's a handful of neighborhoods I would only go to if I had a reason. There's PLENTY of hoods I wouldn't live in though.
Yeah that's how I feel too.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-14-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Yes I would feel comfortable in east new york because I grew up there. But it is far from safe.

How can you ask total strangers to gauge your comfort level? That’s insane.
Exactly, I'm from Far Rock, so my comfort level for the hood is quite high

Old 12-14-2017, 08:57 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,196,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
They look more like Princes entourage than NYC thugs....
Wait time out...

Can we talk about how you don't know where this picture is from!?

What kind of New Yorker are you!?!?

You've never seen The Warriors before? What have you been doing all your life?

Old 12-14-2017, 09:02 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Anybody who asks if a neighborhood is safe is not used to living in an urban environment. Plain and simple.

If you have to ask, it's most likely too dangerous for your comfort level anyway.
Thats not true at all.
Someone maybe looking at a certain neighborhood based upon price point but never actually been there before.
So they figure why not use the friendly internet to see what I can find out about the area.

Back in my hey day I would move to neighborhoods I never been before cause they were affordable for me. I'd get the village voice and find listings I could afford and go see the apt and move.
Would've been nice to have the internet then to have people tell me about the area.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Thats not true at all.
Someone maybe looking at a certain neighborhood based upon price point but never actually been there before.
So they figure why not use the friendly internet to see what I can find out about the area.

Back in my hey day I would move to neighborhoods I never been before cause they were affordable for me. I'd get the village voice and find listings I could afford and go see the apt and move.
Would've been nice to have the internet then to have people tell me about the area.
Why would price make you question safety of the area?

There is no such thing in NYC as cheap and safe anymore, anyway

There's people living in NYCHA paying more than me

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City