Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2017, 11:49 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
So safety is only a racial issue to you. Got it.
No, course it’s not. Brownsville and East New York are horrible neighborhoods, among certain other neighborhoods I would advise anyone to avoid if they could. Take out the safety angles and these neighborhoods are still bad in terms of basic retail, services, and amenities.

With that said there are people who will decide any place with a lot of immigrants or Blacks is unsafe.

Of course it depends on whose asking the question and what their intents are.

But if someone has to ask if they can ride the A train st 10pm, NYC isn’t for them. That’s just plain stupid. Why come if you feel uncomfortable taking the train. You can drive your car anywhere in the nation.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:58 PM

881 posts, read 615,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
DING DING DING. You win the prize for voicing what others have yet to grasp. Multiply that by being a parent of a tween girl.

Also, I think if your physical appearance varies greatly from the area you are in, people pay special attention to you. It can be good, but as a woman, it's almost universally unwanted attention.
I had an ex-girlfriend who's half-black and half-white.

She grew up in East New York.

She grew up to hate black people.

Except for her father, who's black from Africa...I got her to go to a psychologist about it...she so disturbed the psychologist she was kind of kicked out of the office -- she had said that if she knew it was her last week on earth, she would get a bunch of guns and go back to her old neighborhood and shoot dead every single black person there.

Even the women.

She really, really hated black people.

Why?

The guys would always literally just grab her. These guys would make Trump look demure in comparison.

The girls were jealous of her because she was a Ford model (and no I'm not doxing her nor myself) and light-skinned, slim, and just obviously not one of them...and those girls would start making trouble for her.

This is what she had to grow up with since age five until nineteen. Constant molestation and harassment in addition to the usual dodging bullets and her pet cats being killed by the neighborhood toughs.

So yeah...I would've never in my whole life imagined how upsetting it could be for a female whose appearance varies greatly...I mean I know it happens with kids but I didn't realize, until this ex-girlfriend, that a lot of people in the ghetto actually remain kids...enfants terribles -- all the sudden impulsiveness of a toddler with all the physical strength of an adult....

And of course, being in a homeless shelter now...I've lived briefly in ghettos before (staying over girlfriends' places days and even weeks at a time) but not until now I have I actually grokked it all...it's nowhere near as bad as the '70s and '80s but who knows if things will suddenly swing the other way....

So I'm a firm believer that the lower orders must be strongly, even sternly, managed -- constantly.

It's like what the apocryphal Military Officer's Handbook advises: enlisted personnel bear constant and considerable supervision.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Race also matters. I use to wonder how white women can be so courage as to move into the ghetto by herself and walk around at night. That was until I heard the story of a male person of color in the neighborhood say "when I see a white women, I cross the street because I am scared if she screams by my presence near her the police will shoot me". People of color are targeted for more violent crimes, because the media and police are more likely to turn a blind eye towards it.
I honestly feel like that sentiment is false and totally made up.

Why, just over the summer, there was an NYT essay by some black guy whining about how non-blacks move out of his way on the sidewalk! If no one had, this Second-Coming-of-Jason-Blair would have penned something on how he's an invisible man and people just walk into him....

And I remember a Time magazine article back from '89 or so, right around the Clarence Thomas hearings, by a Mr. White on, I kid you not, "Clarence Thomas and the Pain of Being Black" (that's the exact title; it seemed strange then and I've remembered it all these years because it was just so odd)....

Oh my Lordy Jesus...!

It's so sad...African-Americans are always complaining about something or other...not enough cops in the hood? "They don't care about us"...lotsa cops in the hood? "Oh we're being occupied!"

Blacks shooting other blacks and selling drugs to destroy the community? "Lock 'em up!" Lock up the dealers and killers and it's "oh they're imprisoning our fathers/brothers/sons!"

Hardly any shops to serve them? "Oh they scared of us!" Open up shops and it's "it ain't for us anyway"....

Siiiigh...on the one hand, the community is obviously suffering from inter-generational trauma (a kind of PTSD in the Jungian "collective unconscious")...on the other, whining about every little thing actually reinforces stereotypes!

At the homeless shelter, I see a very concentrated form of this excuse-making...normal guys, young and decently healthy despite their cigarettes, liquor, and other drugs, who just won't do for themselves...I've read about similar behavior patterns out in "Forgotten America" -- white rural and suburban America -- in various WaPo articles this year...yet the tribe that runs and owns much of the media (certainly way out of all proportion to their numbers in the population) is always highlighting how tough blacks have it (honestly, no one has it nearly as bad as Native-Americans but somehow the tribe of scribes loves harping on how "tough" it is "being black in America," boo hoo hooey).

I'm not sure that's helpful at all.

It's like how the infantry is now open to females...while certainly being female presents its own very real challenges WRT the infantry, how would constantly reminding these females about their challenges help them?? It wouldn't, of course, which is why the Army (and, I imagine, the Marines) don't do it and treat them just as if they were "one of the guys"....

I just don't get it. Don't people realize that by constantly talking about how hard blacks have it, how they can't do this or can't do that because of "racism" -- don't folks realize that this just reinforces the very stereotype of blacks not doing -- anything (for whatever reason)???

It's like (a kind of reversal of) what Anthony Swafford had noted in his Jarhead: you can't really make an anti-war movie because any depiction of combat necessarily glorifies -- and thus promotes -- warfare.

All of us know as adults now that it was necessary for us to get over ourselves and stop blaming our parents for our imperfect upbringing in order to grow up and become adults...I submit that once the black community decides to just get on with life instead of constantly whining about racism, it will finally be accepted as a mature community like any other instead of being regarded as the equivalent of a self-absorbed teenager entranced by his/her own illusory angst.

Last edited by HomelessLoser; 12-18-2017 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: Corrections.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
COOL!!

THANKS FOR LOCATING THAT!!!

It's so inspirational, ain't it...human beings, for all our faults -- we're just something else entirely!!!!!

Old 12-18-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
If you don't feel comfortable in a neighborhood, it likely means that you shouldn't be going there or if you do, you should take certain precautions.
This is not a good attitude; it encourages division -- because if certain parts of the city are to be written off (and that's the inevitable result of holding such an attitude)...well, we know how that goes.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
This has nothing to do with safety for women. I'm talking about safety for anybody.
A distinction without a difference ("six of one or half a dozen of the other")....

As a long-time avid cyclist, I was amazed to see vastly increased numbers of female cyclists during The Aughts. All throughout the '80s and '90s, I would hardly see any. In fact, suggesting we go biking for a date was received negatively.

And then I saw all the bike paths, and all the women started to feel safer (plus it became "cool" and all)...and you know what? Even I benefited, I who didn't need bike paths at all.

Very few guarantees in life, but if women as a whole believe something, it's usually true. (And I say that as someone who sees women's bodies first and foremost so I'm not "white-knighting" here...just an observation I've found to be incredibly true. Moreover, if women ruled the world, it would be the closest thing to a Star Trek paradise possible.)

Old 12-18-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
I too am troubled by the attitude by some on what is supposed to be a “relocation” forum. Some people come here to get info on neighborhoods in which they are not familiar. If everyone is just supposed to “know” or “have street smarts” or “be a native”, then what’s the point of this board?

And frankly some of the native New Yorkers here are the worst when it comes to passing along dated info or relying on preconceived notions. Just because you were “born and raised” here doesn’t mean you know everything.
It's just the minorities (and their virtue-signaling white allies) adopting a sour-grapes type of posture in response to the negative implications raised about their domiciles.

Nothing more than that.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
If you take the subway, at any time a bunch of clowns could step into the train and harass people because they are bullies and not afraid of confrontations with males or females.

A colleague of mine had to be restrained because he got into a pushing argument with another person in the train while we were going downtown to see a client. We just remind him that it's not worth it when we are on the job and it's not worth getting aggravated over a low life that's unhinged.
And there's more of these lowlifes along certain stretches of certain lines due to the neighborhoods along their routes.

Though I also think those "really pink" out-of-town sports fans are the next-worst subway denizens.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Every American should be able to <SNIP>
Well, that leaves out over half the city, then (!).

Old 12-18-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Seine-Saint-Denis.
Is Fort de Nogent located there?

I was walking around the area of the fort (I had business there) and it all looked nice...found out later some of those areas were "slums"...wow....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City