Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 11:53 AM

881 posts, read 615,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Thats not true at all.
Someone maybe looking at a certain neighborhood based upon price point but never actually been there before.
So they figure why not use the friendly internet to see what I can find out about the area.

Back in my hey day I would move to neighborhoods I never been before cause they were affordable for me. I'd get the village voice and find listings I could afford and go see the apt and move.
Would've been nice to have the internet then to have people tell me about the area.
Indeed -- too bad political correctness turned the helpful "Sketch Factor" app into vaporware.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Not going to lie, I only go to the South Bronx when there is a Yankee game or in a car with the window's up. Feels like you are in a safari watching tigers in their natural habitat, sometimes you get that eerie feeling you don't belong there when people start staring at you every block you drive by.
Speaking of safaris...did you know that at least one African tribe has hunters who will literally steal meat from lions??

It's so funny...some documentary captured it on film, where the three or four hunters weren't getting any game and decided to just intimidate a lion into leaving his kill!!

Look for the video (sorry, can't recall the program's name)...the dudes were all laughing about it over their roast that night...apparently this is a time-honored technique!

Old 12-15-2017, 11:58 AM

954 posts, read 939,552 times
It’s all relative. I bet there are a lot of people in the world who wouldn’t feel safe in the middle of Times Square in the afternoon on a Saturday.

I think this might have a been a better representation of ENY Street toughs:

Better wear that ribbon!!!

Old 12-15-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Yeah. If I've never been to an area and just know it's reputation, I'll ask those who actually live there whether or not it lives up to it's "bad reputation". Neighborhoods change. Places like Flatbush had this reputation but I found it to be ok.
When I went to Paris in another life, I kept trying to look for the slums...didn't notice any -- but that's 'cause I was using NYC criteria; later I found out that the perfectly fine though nowhere near luxurious neighborhoods were the very slums I was looking for!

Quote:
And growing up, the area around City College was really horrible but people have told me now it's not the case.
I still think it's horrible but definitely not like how it used to be, yes.

Quote:
And people who grew up in the Pomonok projects are quick to add that it used to be a nice place but now has turned straight up dangerous ghetto. So... I understand why people inquire about an area. It changes.
And as far as ghettos go, there's nothing in Queens that compares with East New York. Arguably the most "old-fashioned ghetto" part in all Queens, the Ravenswood Houses, now abut shiny new luxury high-rises...gentrification is a good thing overall -- and I say that as a homeless loser!

Old 12-15-2017, 12:11 PM

375 posts, read 323,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
And as far as ghettos go, there's nothing in Queens that compares with East New York.
Yup!...and I'd go as far to say the surrounding areas like Canarsie and Brownsville as well. The ghetto is still STRONG in these areas!

Old 12-15-2017, 12:35 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,758,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
Now this is a great point: I myself never realized my "male privilege" until a fellow runner who's female mentioned how she didn't run on Astoria Park's excellent regulation track at night (I was living in Astoria in another lifetime) and I was stunned, until she explained how she as a woman had to consider the fairly dark paths and even streets around the otherwise well-lit track...and so it dawned on me that I as a guy never worry about that stuff..
DING DING DING. You win the prize for voicing what others have yet to grasp. Multiply that by being a parent of a tween girl.

Also, I think if your physical appearance varies greatly from the area you are in, people pay special attention to you. It can be good, but as a woman, it's almost universally unwanted attention.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:25 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
DING DING DING. You win the prize for voicing what others have yet to grasp. Multiply that by being a parent of a tween girl.

Also, I think if your physical appearance varies greatly from the area you are in, people pay special attention to you. It can be good, but as a woman, it's almost universally unwanted attention.
Race also matters. I use to wonder how white women can be so courage as to move into the ghetto by herself and walk around at night. That was until I heard the story of a male person of color in the neighborhood say "when I see a white women, I cross the street because I am scared if she screams by my presence near her the police will shoot me". People of color are targeted for more violent crimes, because the media and police are more likely to turn a blind eye towards it.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:39 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Race also matters. I use to wonder how white women can be so courage as to move into the ghetto by herself and walk around at night. That was until I heard the story of a male person of color in the neighborhood say "when I see a white women, I cross the street because I am scared if she screams by my presence near her the police will shoot me". People of color are targeted for more violent crimes, because the media and police are more likely to turn a blind eye towards it.

At the end of the day, your local gun slinging thug is not thinking about why are Becky and Bob walking through their neighborhood. He's more worried about why Tyrone Biggums hasn't paid him yet for that dime bag.. Or why "Lil DoeBoy" walking around in red foamposites on his blue turf..

Old 12-15-2017, 01:50 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
Yup!...and I'd go as far to say the surrounding areas like Canarsie and Brownsville as well. The ghetto is still STRONG in these areas!
Canarsie? It's not the nicest neighborhood, but I don't think it's in Brownsville's tier at all. Did it do deep dive downhill in recent years?

Old 12-15-2017, 01:56 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Canarsie? It's not the nicest neighborhood, but I don't think it's in Brownsville's tier at all. Did it do deep dive downhill in recent years?
Based on what? Your Google searches? Go on ahead. Tell me I don't know what I'm talking about...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City