Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 03:38 PM

5,466 posts, read 5,735,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Hopefully this will be the end of Facebook.
Think of it like cable service packages.

Facebook, Google, and Amazon will come as a "basic" internet package for $40/mo.

If you want to have access to sports websites without being throttled to hell, you can upgrade to your ISPs "sports package" for extra $30/mo.

If you want to access movie websites, that comes with the "movie package" of additional $30/mo.

But wait! If you want to browse all websites unthrottled (what you are doing now), you can get the "premium unlimited" access at a low price of only $110/mo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 03:42 PM

37,307 posts, read 39,650,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post

Facebook, Google, and Amazon will come as a "basic" internet package for $40/mo.

If you want to have access to sports websites without being throttled to hell, you can upgrade to your ISPs "sports package" for extra $30/mo.

If you want to access movie websites, that comes with the "movie package" of additional $30/mo.

But wait! If you want to browse all websites unthrottled (what you are doing now), you can get the "premium unlimited" access at a low price of only $110/mo!
I think the real test of the waters that will put this in some murky territory will be if a telecom service tries to create a competing content service to something like amazon video or a voip service and essentially throttles its competition. If that happens and is allowed, then there will be a massive incentive for large content providers such as facebook, google, amazon, etc. to purchase a telecom leading to a wonderful buyout and some really nice exec bonuses and stock bumps. Imagine a beautiful world where both the content and the means to reach it are provided in one all-inclusive service brought to you by facebook. For some, dreams do come true!

I imagine while the wounds still fresh, none of the ISPs are going to make a large move towards this. It'll have to wait a bit for when people are less upset about this and the news cycle shifts elsewhere for a while.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:57 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,355,457 times
RICANRICAN has the idea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJUGbENK8OQ

Old 12-15-2017, 04:12 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,352,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post

Nice, so it might end up being cheaper after all.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Nice, so it might end up being cheaper after all.
Yes, G-Dale, it might end up in the internet being free for everyone. You might end up being paid to use the internet. These are all possibilities. I think you should expect that. Very good contributions!

Old 12-15-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Because the major tech firms do shady things then we should make it easier for telecoms to do so as well? How are these things even closely aligned? Why does that seem like a persuasive argument to you again?

This repeal is going to incentivize M&A from the tech sector to the telecoms.

Again though, not the end of the world. People will pay up and it'll likely go up to just as much as there's not enough of a grumble. That's fine and for some of us that's not so bad.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:28 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Because the major tech firms do shady things then it's okay for telecoms to do it? How are these things even closely aligned? Why does that seem like a persuasive argument to you again?

This repeal is going to incentivize M&A from the tech sector to the telecoms.
He talked about the exact same things I talked about earlier such as competition and consumer fallout. I don't know why you have such a hard time understanding how powerful these two things are here in the U.S.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:32 PM

532 posts, read 789,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Why are you downloading rather than streaming movies? The max speed you need to stream any movie is 25mbps

https://www.lifewire.com/internet-sp...iewing-1847401
omfg are you people this dumb? because downloading is better
anyway, i don't wanna argue with people here who probably doesn't know any better
hence why they are defending corporations

Old 12-15-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
He talked about the exact same things I talked about earlier such as competition and consumer fallout. I don't know why you have such a hard time understanding how powerful these two things are here in the U.S.
I don't have a hard time following this--it's just not been historically true. In the time since the 2004 ruling that allowed for greater deregulation, a massive number of ISPs consolidated or went bankrupt and the pipeline portion of it had very little competition. In the time before there was any actual teeth to the FCC with Title 2, there had been actual cases of throttling which you obviously did not know.

I'm for all kinds of deregulation. I'm also for privatization of a lot of things that the US government does under certain conditions. Blah blah blah blah. However, this deregulation makes little sense and his general argument, the one his video is titled after, is that these social media companies censor and do shady things so why the hell not give the telecom companies the ability to throttle. That's not my emphasis--that's his.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:40 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,352,127 times
Sounds like this could open it up for more competition too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City