Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,978 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I don't know if this helps anyone or is useful but I noticed that there is a lot of talk on this forum about the affordable housing lottery process but all goes quiet once people have won. I think this is because the process is so long and daunting. When you win, you feel like something must have gone wrong or it's going to be taken away so you stay quiet as not to "jinx" it.

I got in to an 80/20 building a couple of months ago. The entire process took about 10 months, from interview to city approval, with more waiting than seems healthy for anyone haha. I got all of my paperwork in on time, and it seemed like months would go by with no word and then all of a sudden, get this in by friday! Cue scrambling followed by more silence! I am self-employed so I was asked for every document under the sun (bank statements, letters from employers, multiple years of tax returns, etc.)

As for the building itself, it is a "luxury" building with a doorman. I did notice that my unit has some different-brand appliances and fixtures, not those advertised in the market rate units on the website. This is totally fine, but I know the question has been asked on this site before! As far as my lease goes, it falls under the rent stabilization laws for 20 years until the building is no longer participating in the tax incentive program. There is a spot in my lease that says I will comply with annual recertification if asked but there are no riders attached and it doesn't say specifically what that means. So I guess I will find out next year.

I'm not sure what other information I have that is useful but I feel incredibly lucky and it has enhanced my life in so many ways. My commutes are easier and I have more freedom to pursue my business. My advice is, although discouraging, continue to enter the lotteries. I never dreamed I would get one and I did so keep on keeping on. Also, whatever you can do to keep your finances in order is helpful! When you jokingly label your venmo or chase transactions, it becomes difficult to explain transactions! Same goes for your credit. Clean it up now if you have issues or do what you can to strengthen it!

Take care, everyone! And happy new year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 09:50 AM

252 posts, read 306,922 times
Wow, the New Year Troll has really cleaned up their act. This post is actually sort of believable but then no

Old 12-31-2017, 09:56 AM

48 posts, read 31,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by househunter1234 View Post
Hi everyone!

I don't know if this helps anyone or is useful but I noticed that there is a lot of talk on this forum about the affordable housing lottery process but all goes quiet once people have won. I think this is because the process is so long and daunting. When you win, you feel like something must have gone wrong or it's going to be taken away so you stay quiet as not to "jinx" it.

I got in to an 80/20 building a couple of months ago. The entire process took about 10 months, from interview to city approval, with more waiting than seems healthy for anyone haha. I got all of my paperwork in on time, and it seemed like months would go by with no word and then all of a sudden, get this in by friday! Cue scrambling followed by more silence! I am self-employed so I was asked for every document under the sun (bank statements, letters from employers, multiple years of tax returns, etc.)

As for the building itself, it is a "luxury" building with a doorman. I did notice that my unit has some different-brand appliances and fixtures, not those advertised in the market rate units on the website. This is totally fine, but I know the question has been asked on this site before! As far as my lease goes, it falls under the rent stabilization laws for 20 years until the building is no longer participating in the tax incentive program. There is a spot in my lease that says I will comply with annual recertification if asked but there are no riders attached and it doesn't say specifically what that means. So I guess I will find out next year.

I'm not sure what other information I have that is useful but I feel incredibly lucky and it has enhanced my life in so many ways. My commutes are easier and I have more freedom to pursue my business. My advice is, although discouraging, continue to enter the lotteries. I never dreamed I would get one and I did so keep on keeping on. Also, whatever you can do to keep your finances in order is helpful! When you jokingly label your venmo or chase transactions, it becomes difficult to explain transactions! Same goes for your credit. Clean it up now if you have issues or do what you can to strengthen it!

Take care, everyone! And happy new year!
wow, you are an Angel truly amazing interpretation of your entire experience.
I so happy I read your post. Thank God for all your blessings many more to come. Happy your quality of life has significantly improved. Thank you so much for this explanation. And continue to enjoy your apartment and your peaceful life.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:27 AM

6,690 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful01 View Post
Wow, the New Year Troll has really cleaned up their act. This post is actually sort of believable but then no
LOL i was thinking the same thing. What's up with all of these new "I-won-a-housing-lottery" accounts?

Old 12-31-2017, 10:34 AM

48 posts, read 31,899 times
I am blessed to be part a wonderful community here this forums are very insightful.
Blessing to everyone
You’re all amazing individuals. Keep the positivity

It should be more tiring wasting all that energy and time ... busy being a TROLL

Old 12-31-2017, 10:35 AM

387 posts, read 559,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
LOL i was thinking the same thing. What's up with all of these new "I-won-a-housing-lottery" accounts?
For real lol this person must really be bored and have lots of time on their hands. Doesn't it get tiring managing several accounts? Lol

Old 12-31-2017, 11:58 AM

6,690 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deslove View Post
For real lol this person must really be bored and have lots of time on their hands. Doesn't it get tiring managing several accounts? Lol
I have a feeling that they're a "regular" here on this forum and is just creating new fake accounts to mock people in housing lotteries. The person probably is just tired of reading about housing lotteries and is getting everyone back with these fake posts.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:27 PM

252 posts, read 306,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesisMi View Post
I am blessed to be part a wonderful community here this forums are very insightful.
Blessing to everyone
You’re all amazing individuals. Keep the positivity

It should be more tiring wasting all that energy and time ... busy being a TROLL
So we're not supposed to assume you're a troll when in the past couple of days with little actual status updates of these lotteries (hence the weather/coat threads) that you're not partaking in some mischief creating multiple accounts claiming your housing lottery success? Yeah not buying it

Old 12-31-2017, 12:37 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
What a strange thing to create a troll account for.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:37 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,463,111 times
I thought this post sounded credible. You guys are so jaded (ha, ha joking, ok?). The only thing that discredits the post was the correct grammar and spelling, as if too much care went into it for it to be real...but as someone else said, it's a strange thing to create a troll post for. It's not like that dual personality with two names who rants on the E. 39th Street thread, and doesn't know enough to change the writing style for the two identities.

Last edited by Moving415; 12-31-2017 at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City