Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 08:37 AM

804 posts, read 545,848 times

Advertisements

OKay here is a really big idea.

Why not change the MTA card system to count the amount of rides instead of money?

This way when a person purchases any of there cards they do not have to be concerned with the lack of cash.

It would be just like the forever stamp. One ride, one price.

Nothing would change at all. We would not change at all. People can double swipe or even triple swipe a ride.

The 30-day cards would still work the same way.

Right now in many tourist areas I can see a push for a new card ( simular to the citibank offer ) where they hook up the card directly to a bank account.

I just want the knowledge if there was an emergency a person could use there card without having to consult a token booth. Sometimes people are not presented and changing money to rides would create a safer environment.

Besides. Your money is in there banking system already collecting interest in other markets. Why not keep your ride for when you need it. Just like a ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 08:47 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
OKay here is a really big idea.

Why not change the MTA card system to count the amount of rides instead of money?

This way when a person purchases any of there cards they do not have to be concerned with the lack of cash.

It would be just like the forever stamp. One ride, one price.

Nothing would change at all. We would not change at all. People can double swipe or even triple swipe a ride.

The 30-day cards would still work the same way.

Right now in many tourist areas I can see a push for a new card ( simular to the citibank offer ) where they hook up the card directly to a bank account.

I just want the knowledge if there was an emergency a person could use there card without having to consult a token booth. Sometimes people are not presented and changing money to rides would create a safer environment.

Besides. Your money is in there banking system already collecting interest in other markets. Why not keep your ride for when you need it. Just like a ticket.
No good - Metrocard can be used for rides of different value (subway, express bus, air train, path train)

There is no benefit to this idea. What I want to see is a software update on the metrocard machines that gives you the option to combine metrocard values

Old 01-08-2018, 10:15 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
No good - Metrocard can be used for rides of different value (subway, express bus, air train, path train)

There is no benefit to this idea. What I want to see is a software update on the metrocard machines that gives you the option to combine metrocard values
Doubt there will be any software changes to metro card machines since the system seems to be moving towards a different technology that will eliminate cards and the machines entirely.

OP, you can already set it up so your card is automatically replenished and you never have to worry about lack of cash.it’s called EasyPay.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:48 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Doubt there will be any software changes to metro card machines since the system seems to be moving towards a different technology that will eliminate cards and the machines entirely.

OP, you can already set it up so your card is automatically replenished and you never have to worry about lack of cash.it’s called EasyPay.
or make sure there's always >=$2.75 on the card

Looking for 2.75 $ is no different than looking for 1 ride on the machine readout

Old 01-08-2018, 05:05 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
If they get rid of the unlimited monthly option it will definitely be the final straw that breaks the camel for me! I would see zero value in living here.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:34 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,577,158 times
No, because if they do, they will have another excuse that more funds needed to improve on this. Just fix the constant delay first. After the delay is fix, then we can talk about other issues. MTA is so dumb.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:33 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I think the metro cards were the biggest waste of time and money, what was wrong with the tokens. running the card thru, sometimes id doesnt, and you bang intot he turnstile, or the money expires, or you think you have enough and you dont, and somehow you always end up paying for more than you need.

with the token, you either had it or you didnt.

they calim no more waiting n lines, well, you wait on line for a metrocard.

i thin a great idea would be to be able to use your credit card, kinda like the toll less plazas at the bridges and tunnels.
Id rather get a bill at the end of the month.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:13 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
Not everyone has credit cards. Not everyone can even use the credit cards they currently have. Tokens sucked cuz it was one ride per token. Unlimited rides is the best way to go if you use it a lot and I hope that doesn't go away. I was truly disturbed by an article in the NT times today about the rampant homeless population sleepong on the trains after midnight. I know that it happens, but it's SO bad now and especially bad with the recent cold snap. they were saying that on some lines, there were 5-6 people camped out in EACH car of the train after midnight. I felt a sigh of relief because I noticed that in the last few weeks the stench on the trains has been SO awful, i get on a train look around and see no homeless people and I kept thinking maybe it's ME who stinks, but apparently it's the lingering miasma leftover from their night stays on the trains. Can the MTA PLEASE start sanitizing and airing out the cars before rush hour in the morning? it's SO bad. I'm tempted to go back to smoking cigarettes again so I can lose my sense of smell. It's this combination smell of urine, feces, sweat, feet, rotting garbage, rotting wounds, and who knows what else, but I am sure many of you know the smell I am speaking of. It's unbearable. I nearly vomited on myself the other morning.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:12 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,432,160 times
The MTA Has A $450 Million Plan To Replace The MetroCard With Contactless Payments - Business Insider

Old 01-11-2018, 09:57 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
my wife wanted to change her senior metrocard from manually adding money to auto fill from a credit card . they had to issue a new card and it took 5 weeks . they can not just take your card and link a credit card .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: