Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 09:18 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,337 times

Advertisements

Ok lovely folks. It may not feel like it but spring (and warmer weather) is just around the corner!
I would like to make a thread **maybe it could become a sticky** with suggestions and reviews of things to do/see/eat/experience in NYC neighborhoods. We often fall into the habit of going from work to home and patronizing the same venues, restaurants, etc.

This thread is meant to expose us to the diferrent things available in various neighborhoods that we may not know of because we are not familiar with that area. But you my fellow CDers will share your suggestions and local knowledge.

Name of venue, event, place, restaurant thing etc:

Type: (Eg: park, restaurant, museum, outdoor festival, zoo, theme park, boardwalk, beach etc.)

Short review (cost $, $$, $$$, $$$$, times available, what is good about location etc)

photos: If you feel like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 05:09 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Excuse me, but this is why I read New York, Time Out, and the NYT. Any restaurant review, for instance, is going to be more in depth in a periodical by a reviewer than from a random stranger on a general internet site.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:49 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Have any of you been to the Russian/Turkish bathhouse in the East Village?

Old 01-13-2018, 06:16 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
A few places near me:

Gantry Park, Long Island City. Great views of Manhattan, nice place to stroll. Access to numerous restaurants, bakeries, bars and the ferry service to Brooklyn and Manhattan. https://www.swagroup.com/projects/ga...za-state-park/

Louis Armstrong House Museum in Corona. Extra points for the amazing vintage turquoise kitchen!

https://www.thekitchn.com/kitchen-to...strongs-121128

Old 01-13-2018, 06:43 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Have any of you been to the Russian/Turkish bathhouse in the East Village?
The one on 10th st, right? Yes! I'm a fan of it, sometimes wander in just for some pelmenis and beer. Many years back I used to be in decent walking distance to it, but even though I'm not in anymore, I still go once or a few times a year.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:45 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The one on 10th st, right? Yes! I'm a fan of it, sometimes wander in just for some pelmenis and beer. Many years back I used to be in decent walking distance to it, but even though I'm not in anymore, I still go once or a few times a year.
I'm interested in trying it out, what would you recommend?

I read about this place in a "Hidden NY" book (or something like that) a long time ago and I've been interested ever since

Old 01-13-2018, 06:49 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Excuse me, but this is why I read New York, Time Out, and the NYT. Any restaurant review, for instance, is going to be more in depth in a periodical by a reviewer than from a random stranger on a general internet site.
Much of which are simply marketing. Not an honest review.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:50 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm interested in trying it out, what would you recommend?

I read about this place in a "Hidden NY" book (or something like that) a long time ago and I've been interested ever since
I'm a fan. It's definitely not a refined spa and pretty bare bones. Not sure if you've ever been to one of these things before, but some of the rooms get really hot and the Boris weeks are definitely hotter. There's usually "tiers" of benches arranged like steps and the top steps can get absurdly hot and stuffy. I don't do the platz (tree branch beating) usually, but it might be worth doing if you don't reckon on going there often and are curious.

I'd also recommend their kitchen, at least the small dumplings. There's also a rooftop deck which can be nice on some days.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-13-2018 at 08:08 PM..

Old 01-13-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
1. This post wast not specifically targeted at you.
2. There are thousands if not millions who obtain information from sources outside of the ones you listed.
3. The criteria had more than restaurants listed. For many, going to a restaurant constitutes less than 30% of what they do for social engagement. I am sure that someone will be able to find a suggestion that they had not previously experienced or thought of.
4. Even if this was strictly for restaurant suggestions, I am sure every restaurant in every neighborhood has not been reviewed in the papers listed by you.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
A few places near me:

Gantry Park, Long Island City. Great views of Manhattan, nice place to stroll. Access to numerous restaurants, bakeries, bars and the ferry service to Brooklyn and Manhattan. https://www.swagroup.com/projects/ga...za-state-park/

Louis Armstrong House Museum in Corona. Extra points for the amazing vintage turquoise kitchen!

https://www.thekitchn.com/kitchen-to...strongs-121128

Thanks for the museum suggestion! Will definitely put it on my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: