Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 11:55 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Yeah typo, I was describing West, meant to point out Corona is at the other end. But in terms of the Lafrak houses, aren't those almost all hispanic now?
Lefrak still has plenty of AAs to my understanding, but the rest of Corona is heavily Hispanic with some Asians.

I'm having trouble finding current demographic data for Lefrak City, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 05:11 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Lefrak still has plenty of AAs to my understanding, but the rest of Corona is heavily Hispanic with some Asians.

I'm having trouble finding current demographic data for Lefrak City, though.
https://statisticalatlas.com/

Try this site. Just keep drilling down to the tract, or even block. It has Lefrak at 50% Black.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:32 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
Quote:
You consider Jackson Heights North Eastern Queens? how do you figure
North Western Queens, stand corrected!

Old 01-22-2018, 10:51 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
Quote:
I don't even think he knows what he was describing. Western Queens definitely has almost no AA. The population that is here are lower income residents from the projects: Astoria Houses south of the Triboro Bridge, Queens Bridge Houses North of the Queensboro Bridge, Ravenswood Houses in between those two, and the Woodside Houses over by Northern & 51st street.

All the other residential housing is wall to wall ethnic from Greece, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, every Central American country you can think of, Korea, Japan, Romania, Ireland, etc etc etc you will find everybody here and a dozen languages on every street.

I had an AA friend who rented an apartment in Woodside after she lost her lease in Jamaica she asked me one day is it bad that I'm bothered there are no other black people here? After a year she found a different place in Brooklyn because she didn't like the vibe
I know very well what I am describing. there is always a cluster of residents, of one kind, that stake a claim in the neighborhood. Astoria is mostly Italian and Greek, Woodside is mostly Bangladeshi,Philippine, Nepalese, although they claim Irish. Sunnyside has a Japanese presence, as well as the obvious split of Latinos to the south of Queens Blvd, and the others of White skin races north of Queens Blvd. Jackson Heights Have Columbians around 82 street from Roosevelt Ave. to Astoria Blvd. Also, in the heart of Jackson Heights you will find the LGBT folks, until you reach 76 street, where it becomes Little India.

East Elmhurst has to have the most taxi/Black Car owner operators in all of Queens. It is incredible every other driveway has a yellow or green taxi parked in the driveway. These folks are of mostly Indian or Middle Eastern . This area of East Elmhurst is nearby Monsignor Mclancy HS.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:54 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I know very well what I am describing. there is always a cluster of residents, of one kind, that stake a claim in the neighborhood. Astoria is mostly Italian and Greek, Woodside is mostly Bangladeshi,Philippine, Nepalese, although they claim Irish. Sunnyside has a Japanese presence, as well as the obvious split of Latinos to the south of Queens Blvd, and the others of White skin races north of Queens Blvd. Jackson Heights Have Columbians around 82 street from Roosevelt Ave. to Astoria Blvd. Also, in the heart of Jackson Heights you will find the LGBT folks, until you reach 76 street, where it becomes Little India.

East Elmhurst has to have the most taxi/Black Car owner operators in all of Queens. It is incredible every other driveway has a yellow or green taxi parked in the driveway. These folks are of mostly Indian or Middle Eastern . This area of East Elmhurst is nearby Monsignor Mclancy HS.
close enough, but there's almost no Italian in Astoria and the dominant group in Sunnyside is Irish, many fresh off the boat. Astoria is all greek owned but many are moving to Long Island and the ones moving in are Muslim / middle Eastern. But both places have massive amounts of Hispanic from various countries

Old 01-22-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post

I think your perception of these places is a little outdated, Astoria, Woodside, Sunnyside, Elmhurst, and East Elmhurst all have big Latino populations. Jackson Heights is also home to many Mexicans, Ecuadorians, and Peruvians. And what the hell does "white skin races" mean?

Old 01-22-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
close enough, but there's almost no Italian in Astoria and the dominant group in Sunnyside is Irish, many fresh off the boat. Astoria is all greek owned but many are moving to Long Island and the ones moving in are Muslim / middle Eastern. But both places have massive amounts of Hispanic from various countries
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astoria,_Queens

Astoria was not even half white as of 2010, and I believe Middle Eastern is counted as white.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:01 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodside,_Queens

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunnys...s#Demographics

Woodside and Sunnyside are very diverse as well, it doesn't look like any ethnic group really dominates.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:09 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
There are still some Italians floating around Astoria. Particularly around Astoria Heights. But even towards Broadway and 30 Ave there are some left. Obviously they are few in numbers compared to Greeks.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:37 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Astoria also has a notable community of people from the Balkans. Sort of makes sense with the Balkans so close to Greece and Italy.

I’ve also noticed Romanians/Moldovians (not sure which, maybe both) and Turks in Sunnyside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: