Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2018, 06:19 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times

Advertisements

While I thought the Bronx or New Jersey could be interesting to Amazon because of cheaper land than in Manhattan, while still being in NYC metro (with there being also a direct access from Westchester or CT to the Bronx, for an easy commute from affluent living areas), I spoke to some people yesterday who live in the realm of biotech finance, and they think Amazon really wants Manhattan, and has enough money to buy in Manhattan, they are just trying to see what cities would give them in terms of optimal corporate financial breaks for the long term, and then would try to obtain those breaks in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 07:03 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
According to sources NYC is one of top 4 cities for Amazon pick for HQ2. Amazon is eyeing Long Island City section of Queens and Newark in New Jersey is also in top four. The announcement for Amazon choice for HQ2 will be after Thanksgiving.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:22 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
According to sources NYC is one of top 4 cities for Amazon pick for HQ2. Amazon is eyeing Long Island City section of Queens and Newark in New Jersey is also in top four. The announcement for Amazon choice for HQ2 will be after Thanksgiving.
https://www.6sqft.com/newark-and-nyc...zons-hq2-site/

Newark has offered one billion in tax breaks. So NYC must have offered a sizable break as well.

DC or Northern Virginia might get it.
https://dc.curbed.com/2018/10/23/180...-housing-costs

Amazon's second headquarters could be used to bring investment in and develop Newark.

If LIC gets it, there are already tech companies with a major presence there such as Uber. Of course there are film studios nearby as well.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:15 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post

Were I betting my money would be on one of the three DC area picks. Bezos purchased a townhouse in DC and going forward he may need a significant presence near DC to bribe... I mean rub elbows with DC politicians.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:32 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Were I betting my money would be on one of the three DC area picks. Bezos purchased a townhouse in DC and going forward he may need a significant presence near DC to bribe... I mean rub elbows with DC politicians.
For that reason I think DC too. But keep in mind NYC is not far from DC, especially when you have people drive you to the airports and you can fly back and forth between both cities. They way Bezos could LOBBY politicians while also being close to Amazon’s corporate customers. Of course the reverse is true. It will come down to whether the NYC area or the DC area gives the best tax breaks.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:21 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
If Amazon chooses Newark then Jersey City will go through a massive gentrification.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:48 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Virginia makes the most sense.It has a clever infrastructure and the land needed for expansion of
mass transit outward and to build strong housing for the future employees. It has fair across the board
tax system and the owner lives in close vicinity. Move over New York City for the next future megalopolis.
Northern Virginia.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The only reason NYC and NJ are still being considered because of huge Indian population. There are one of the chief reasons because so many Indian IT developers work for them for the website and AWS.

It is far cheaper to bring people to the job than for the job come to the people.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
If Amazon chooses Newark then Jersey City will go through a massive gentrification.

Too complicated. Amazon needs to keep riding the wave not wait for the next tide to roll in.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
For that reason I think DC too. But keep in mind NYC is not far from DC, especially when you have people drive you to the airports and you can fly back and forth between both cities. They way Bezos could LOBBY politicians while also being close to Amazon’s corporate customers. Of course the reverse is true. It will come down to whether the NYC area or the DC area gives the best tax breaks.

Virginia. It has the land and fair tax base. Employees willcome from all over the US to crawl over one another for the opportunity to make a small fortune for family and future. This is the next big thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City