Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 07:07 PM

399 posts, read 554,304 times

Advertisements

Scholarships? WHY would they ever give scholarships to OUT-OF-STATE students? Unless you are a profesional at Sports...

I would be going to college part time in NYC (Because full-time is too expensive with out-of-state tuition) then after I get my in-state resident status I will consider SUNY, as I want to get an MBA in Business.

It is cheaper that way of course. Going to college then University

One of my friends who lives in NY told me. It is possible to find a job in Business out of high school for 1,200 if the person IS going to college. (a college student) -- Without benefits. - Full Time - If you have connections.

I can squeeze 250 dollars monthly from my parents. Plus they will pay for my cellphone. So it comes out to about 300 a month. Which is better then nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 07:22 PM

112 posts, read 649,102 times
you clearly do not know how college admissions works. its not unheard of getting scholarships from out-of-state schools. but from your posts, i gather you won't be eligible anyway.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:46 AM

353 posts, read 1,261,514 times
I think you need to take the time and sit and think about what you're really going to do with your life. I'm not getting the sense that you know what you want.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:31 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,632,267 times
I hate to digress, but why would an 18 year old, who don't know diddly-squat about NYC, move to this megacity? I mean, c'mon people, NYC is over 8 million people in 5 boroughs, this city will eat some people alive. I'm not talking about the OP, or even people who post on this forum, but just people in general. Yeah, move here in this city, have no money, live in some crappy nabe, in a crappy building and for what? I just don't get it..

Old 03-24-2008, 02:16 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,658,282 times
If you have parents with lots of cash to front you to rent the apartment and bail you out on a regular basis, sure, join the hipster ranks.

Are you talking about sharing a studio apartment w/ someone? Do you have someone set up already who is willing to share a studio?

Old 03-24-2008, 02:30 PM

Yes, one of my friends who lives in the NYC metropolitan area is moving to NYC (To clarify he lives in Perth, NJ which is about 15-20 miles from NYC..I think)

there comes utilities, other fees of course. on top of the Rent. That is not something I forget.

I do have a roomate set up. If I do not move there, then my friend will find someone else. I do know about 6 people in NYC that are close to me , they are my support system basically. Feeling that I know the city fairly well, but then I've only been to selected neighborhoods. So NYC is still an mysterious interesting city no doubt Lol

I am going to college right know, my credits are going to transfer because the policy for state transfer is usually under 24 credits. The standards are difficult, but I do know the transfer of credits is possible.
After I get my in-state resident status I will go to one of the University Campuses in NYC.
If I do decide to make the move it will be at the end of summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
If you have parents with lots of cash to front you to rent the apartment and bail you out on a regular basis, sure, join the hipster ranks.

Are you talking about sharing a studio apartment w/ someone? Do you have someone set up already who is willing to share a studio?

Last edited by stilldirrty; 03-24-2008 at 02:47 PM..

Old 03-25-2008, 07:51 AM

238 posts, read 617,135 times
my opinion may be considered corny - finish college where you are. apply and get a college internship in nyc while doing college. that's what my college daughter is doing. (we do not live in ny; we're out of state). this way, you'll continue to move forward with your education and get a chance to 'try out' nyc. summer internships are very popular, but internships exist for every semester.

i don't know how much $$$$ your parents have to throw your way, but my daughter is going to a local college at home (in state tuition) which affords us the oppty to throw MORE money her way. because of the lower (in-state) tuition, daughter lived on campus, spent a summer semester abroad as well as the internship in nyc. paying out-of-state tuition may not have afforded these type opportunities.

...just a thought.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:05 AM

I think Internships are a defenite must for me. It has crossed my mind. (Usually there are more internships during the summer because students are off from school. BUT it is more competative) All though, if I can find a job as a filing clerk with an internship on top of that can give me good experience in 1 year.

Then after getting in-state tuition I'll move to the dorms most likely for University.

All though that is a thought to try out NYC, there are tons of internships in the Service Industry, and entertainment, Legal law, and Police enforcment. Strangely there are not many Business Internships in NYC...or maybe there are. But they just get their spot taken quickly. That must be what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by margarets1 View Post
my opinion may be considered corny - finish college where you are. apply and get a college internship in nyc while doing college. that's what my college daughter is doing. (we do not live in ny; we're out of state). this way, you'll continue to move forward with your education and get a chance to 'try out' nyc. summer internships are very popular, but internships exist for every semester.

i don't know how much $$$$ your parents have to throw your way, but my daughter is going to a local college at home (in state tuition) which affords us the oppty to throw MORE money her way. because of the lower (in-state) tuition, daughter lived on campus, spent a summer semester abroad as well as the internship in nyc. paying out-of-state tuition may not have afforded these type opportunities.

...just a thought.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:19 AM

29 posts, read 104,994 times
I think some of you who are trying to scare us people who want nothing more than to live in New York City are unaware just how big that desire is. If I could have my basic needs taken care of and able to live in NYC I would be the happiest person. Just the thought of being in the city, able to walk around and visit all these different landmarks, soak up the diversity and culture that this city has is unbelievable. I think you people who have been living here for so long have lost the vision of what new york city really is.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:34 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,658,282 times
No, JMust, the thing is, people come here and act like people who live in the area are lying when they tell you just how much money it costs to live here. We're just being honest.

Basic needs being taken care on in one part of the US could cost $600/mo, whereas in NYC it will cost you $3k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City