Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2019, 09:23 AM

324 posts, read 530,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsomehank2012 View Post
Got Orientation On Friday. How Screwed Am I If I Dont Have My CDL Permit? Would I Be Able To Get It After Friday And Still Take The CDL Training Class? Would I Be Able To Get Called For Summer Class?
You're not screwed at all. You won't make April class. But I HIGHLY get the CDL permit and get your CDL privately ! Once you get your permit just fax it to them and once you get your license u fax it to them to move forward. If you're on your game you can have your CDL license in a few weeks. Just study the booklet the DMV gives you.
What I did was ....I took private CDL lessons and it included the road test with a school bus. I also signed up for CDL training with DSNY just in case I failed it privately. This gives you multiple chances to pass road test just incase. If you just to it thru DSNY, #1 you only get 1 shot to pass road test if you fail you'll have to reschedule and that can take weeks #2 Dsny gives roadtest on a truck called a cut down ( big dump truck that you see spreading salt on highways ) , which IMO is much harder to drive than a school bus as it is alot bigger, a school bus is much easier to navigate with.
Give yourself enough time just incase you fail. Try to have your CDL license by early May the latest because u never know with the city.
Also , privately I paid $700 which included school bus. DSNY charges you $900 , which they deduct small amounts from your paycheck over several months after you're hired. For me personally, I'm glad I paid for it outright and got it out of the way.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:30 AM

3 posts, read 5,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcwithacee View Post
I failed. They told me I looked like a guy who would pick through the garbage at every house, and I would be more likely to need stitches.
damn man, sorry to hear that

Old 03-13-2019, 09:47 AM

3 posts, read 6,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnwhyme View Post
You're not screwed at all. You won't make April class. But I HIGHLY get the CDL permit and get your CDL privately ! Once you get your permit just fax it to them and once you get your license u fax it to them to move forward. If you're on your game you can have your CDL license in a few weeks. Just study the booklet the DMV gives you.
What I did was ....I took private CDL lessons and it included the road test with a school bus. I also signed up for CDL training with DSNY just in case I failed it privately. This gives you multiple chances to pass road test just incase. If you just to it thru DSNY, #1 you only get 1 shot to pass road test if you fail you'll have to reschedule and that can take weeks #2 Dsny gives roadtest on a truck called a cut down ( big dump truck that you see spreading salt on highways ) , which IMO is much harder to drive than a school bus as it is alot bigger, a school bus is much easier to navigate with.
Give yourself enough time just incase you fail. Try to have your CDL license by early May the latest because u never know with the city.
Also , privately I paid $700 which included school bus. DSNY charges you $900 , which they deduct small amounts from your paycheck over several months after you're hired. For me personally, I'm glad I paid for it outright and got it out of the way.
Thanks For The Info!

Old 03-13-2019, 10:59 AM

70 posts, read 113,287 times
If you taking it in a schoolbus all you need is the passenger endorsement on your permit you do not need the school bus endorsement unless you want to pursue that just in case sanitation doesnt but beware with that school bus endorsement the road test is a little harder because you gotta show them how to properly mount and dismiss passengers from the school bus.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:02 AM

70 posts, read 113,287 times
Privately on a school bus : general knowledge + air brakes + tank( for sanitation purposes)+ passenger

DSNY : general knowledge + air brakes + tank

These are what you need for your Permit.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:05 AM

3 posts, read 6,011 times
Whats The Typical Day Like For A San Man? Are You Hauling Garbage For 8 Hours?

Old 03-13-2019, 11:54 AM

29 posts, read 58,236 times
Quote:
Where did you do your CDL road-test privately? I have my permit and want to get the license as well.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:55 AM

111 posts, read 142,412 times
Quote:
No just make sure u disclose it. Dont lie about anything they can find out about. There's convicted felons on this job, if a murderer can get hired on here then so can someone for getting fired. The city investigates applicant for 3 years, so even after probation if they find that u lied they have the rights to fire u.
Serious question. Do you personally know anyone who has been terminated after probation for lying about being fired by a previous employer? Not just hearsay.

I understand that they technically could do that I guess, but does it ever happen? I have my doubts.

Besides most private employers won’t just disclose that information. At most they will say whether or not they will hire that person again. So unless your former employer was the city of New York how can they prove you are lying?

Last edited by GriefOneNYC; 03-13-2019 at 12:04 PM..

Old 03-13-2019, 12:17 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,488,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsomehank2012 View Post
Whats The Typical Day Like For A San Man? Are You Hauling Garbage For 8 Hours?
No one will answer this for you. You will find out once on the job.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:03 PM

144 posts, read 254,911 times
[quote=handsomehank2012;54670085]Whats The Typical Day Like For A San Man? Are You Hauling Garbage For 8 Hours?[/QUOTE

There are lots of different jobs you can and will do as a sanman. It’s an 8 hour workday minus your breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City