Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 07:44 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,895,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
what a well written story. What 4 sentences long?
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 09:51 PM

983 posts, read 932,695 times
20 feet is pretty high if you purposefully fall on your head.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:12 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,404,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Waiting for the L train at the junction during rush hour is enough to make anyone want to off themselves.
Lol. I think the L is better than all the other trains lol.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:54 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
It really depends how he fell and where the impact was. As someone said, 20 feet is pretty high if you fall on your head.

Anyway, the guy did die, so speculation that 20 feet isn't enough for someone to die is moot.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:02 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,155,294 times
I believe emt's say over 12 feet and you can face serious injuries, so 20 ft and splat! It is very rare someone would survive a fall like that, but there are cases of track workers falling, and surviving. Maybe if a car would break your fall?

I have experienced a few suicides, first one in 84' under the 7 line. Guts and all, on Roosevelt avenue on a hot summer day. Must have been 3 pm. The crowd could only make filthy jokes about the crime scene. I dont know the stats, but the MTA and LIRR probably get a high number of suicides each year.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:01 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
I recall a suicide under the N line a few years ago. Definitely from time to time suicide by jumping off of an elevated line happens.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:27 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It really depends how he fell and where the impact was. As someone said, 20 feet is pretty high if you fall on your head.

Anyway, the guy did die, so speculation that 20 feet isn't enough for someone to die is moot.
I'm the one who brought up the issue about 20 feet, and I obviously never said it's not enough to kill someone. Obviously, because the article is about someone who died from a fall of 20 feet. It's not like I can't read.

My point is that if suicide is the goal, then find a higher point to jump from or jump in front of a train like all the other more prudent suicidal people. Why would you want to potentially suffer through a much worse life of whatever you were dealing with to begin with that was making you suicidal PLUS the pain and financial ruin of trying to recover from serious and debilitating injuries that would be caused by a fall like that (if it didn't kill you).

From USA Today regarding 25 foot falls:

"The probability of surviving a 25-foot fall — even into the arms of a crowd — is influenced by many factors, including your speed, as well as host of many other variables," Dr. Robert Glatter of Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, said in Forbes magazine.

He said falls from a distance greater than 30 feet have a high probability of inflicting serious injuries involving the spleen, liver and lungs, along with blunt chest trauma and rib fractures.

Falls from more than 20 feet usually result in a trip to the emergency room, but even low-level falls can cause serious head injuries, according to the American College of Surgeons.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...all/428384001/

Old 02-20-2018, 08:52 AM

636 posts, read 612,664 times
No way I'd attempt something like that, with my luck I'd just wake up as a quadriplegic somewhere.

There was some kid who in what was the second or third week of college my freshman year jumped out his 7th floor window in my dorm, supposedly because his gf just dumped him (apparently he didn't realize he was, you know, in f'ing college, not like it's the best place for single people to be). Anyway, took that poor bastard a week to actually die.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:54 AM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
A man jumped to his death from a Queens subway station early Monday morning, police said.

The 39-year-old man fell approximately 20 feet from the elevated portion of Roosevelt Ave-Jackson Heights subway station at 74th Street and Broadway just after 2 a.m., police said.

He was taken to NYC Health + Hospitals/Elmhurst, where he was pronounced dead.

The subway station serves E-, F-, M-, R- and 7-line trains.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/19/man-ju...ubway-station/
The only line that is elevated at this station is 7 (as the E, F, M, R are all underground there). Sadly you can't control everyone from using an elevated subway line for purposes it was not intended for.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:06 PM

478 posts, read 774,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I believe emt's say over 12 feet and you can face serious injuries, so 20 ft and splat! It is very rare someone would survive a fall like that, but there are cases of track workers falling, and surviving. Maybe if a car would break your fall?

I have experienced a few suicides, first one in 84' under the 7 line. Guts and all, on Roosevelt avenue on a hot summer day. Must have been 3 pm. The crowd could only make filthy jokes about the crime scene. I dont know the stats, but the MTA and LIRR probably get a high number of suicides each year.
I haven't heard of many people who have been able to claim this. You must have nine lives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City