Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 11:05 AM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
New Rochelle and Yonkers.
Not bad it easy commute to Manhattan atleast you can find parking there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 11:06 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
I lived in Queens for 20+ years and left for NJ, the funniest thing about Queens is that although it is unaffordable but that is only in people's heads. There are many listings of run down places in Queens for under $400k, not exactly exciting places but exists. The biggest problem I have is that most people I meet from Queens are NOT rich or affluent at all. Most are just city workers or small business owners running cash business that depend on being in NYC to pay the bills. Most are likely not gonna reap the benefits of their high value properties because it will be passed down to their kin. There's only a few parts that are affluent but very few since most affluent already left NYC for cheaper tax states.
If you're a landlord in Queens, you're most likely grumpy and cynical all the times about people.

For $900k you probably could get something 4-5 bed and 1.5 bath in Queens. In LI you could get a McMansion with 5-6 bed, 3+ bath. Taxes are probably in the $20k+ But those areas you're getting true luxury and value while in Queens you get low property taxes but not really great value unless you sell.

Tell me what Queens area really have direct access to subway w/o driving, quiet, and roomy? You either have to drive 10-15min for public transit or in constant parking hunt daily for a spot.

Last edited by vision33r; 02-23-2018 at 11:40 AM..

Old 02-23-2018, 11:28 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I lived in Queens for 20+ years and left for NJ, the funniest thing about Queens is that although it is unaffordable but that is only in people's heads. There are many listings of run down places in Queens for under $400k, not exactly exciting places but exists. The biggest problem I have is that most people I meet from Queens are NOT rich or affluent at all. Most are just city workers or small business owners running cash business that depend on being in NYC to pay the bills. Most are likely not gonna reap the benefits of their high value properties because it will be passed down to their kin. There's only a few parts that are affluent but very few since most affluent already left NYC for cheaper tax states.
If you're a landlord in Queens, you're most likely grumpy and cynical all the times about people.

For $900k you probably could get something 4-5 bed and 1.5 bath in Queens. In LI you could get a McMansion with 5-6 bed, 3+ bath. Taxes are probably in the $20k+ But those areas you're getting true luxury and value while in Queens you get low property taxes but not really great value unless you sell.

Tell me what Queens area really have direct access to subway w/o driving, quiet, and roomy? You either have to drive 10-15mi for public transit or in constant parking hunt daily for a spot.
True true. All true. Nothing to see here lol.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:44 AM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
900k you can get nice newly built modern condo with ocean views in Miami Brickell neighborhood.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:01 PM

37,145 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Tell me what Queens area really have direct access to subway w/o driving, quiet, and roomy? You either have to drive 10-15min for public transit or in constant parking hunt daily for a spot.
It won’t be cheap, but there’s parts of Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Hillcrest, Jamaica Hills and Jamaica estates that would fit.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:21 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It won’t be cheap, but there’s parts of Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Hillcrest, Jamaica Hills and Jamaica estates that would fit.
Also Woodhaven, Richmond Hill, and parts of Middle Village.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:19 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,200 times
This shouldn't come as a surprise.

Govt. considers Jamaica middle class and the rent in these "middle class" areas eat up roughly 80-90% of the household income.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:54 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,400,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
‘unaffordable’.

While over one-in-four Queens locals would call their neighborhood unaffordable, residents of the “World’s Borough” remain loyal to their hometown and would recommend it to a friend, a recent report found.
A total 70 percent of Queens residents surveyed said they had no plans to move — the second-highest percentage, behind Staten Island.

New report says 29 percent of Queens residents find their neighborhood 'unaffordable' - QNS.com
Does high home ownership play a part? I do realize from personal experience a lot of Brooklynites seem unfaithful!

Old 02-23-2018, 09:00 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Does anybody actually consider Woodside and Jackson Heights to be suburban? That seems like a ridiculous notion to me

Old 02-23-2018, 09:18 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Ok. Let us not talk about Queens anymore. It is boring, bland n like Alabama 2.0. Nothing to see here. Moving along lol.
Yup, everybody shut up about Queens! Nothing to see here! It's like Kansas City except more expensive! Stick to Brooklyn and San Francisco please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City