Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 08:35 AM

2,982 posts, read 1,165,579 times

Advertisements

What's is that building Columbia built on broadway at 148th street? isn't that dorm housing building or something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 09:18 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,640 times
Do Hamilton Heights. Probably the cheapest option of the 3 from my experience when apartment hunting uptown. This of course is biased towards being on the west side of Broadway.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:20 AM

37,130 posts, read 39,371,920 times
I would say look in Morningside Heights, Manhattanville and Hamilton Heights. The price range is restrictive enough that I don't think you'd end up with an overwhelming number of options unless you're literally talking about walking around looking for for rent signs.

Washington Heights (west of Broadway, but not sure if that's changed in the last few years) and Inwood are fine, but it's probably better to stick closer to the school campus in your first year.

All of these neighborhoods have a good amount of park space and interesting architecture. All of them are going to have coffee shops and museums/theaters.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-05-2018 at 09:35 AM..

Old 03-05-2018, 10:46 AM

3,133 posts, read 2,728,507 times
I'm just saying there's no reason to rule Manhattanville out. It's not like he'll be walking up and down the streets looking for "FOR RENT" signs and thus wasting his time if pickings are slim. Given his budget, he should need a reason not to include a particular area.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:53 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I would say look in Morningside Heights, Manhattanville and Hamilton Heights. The price range is restrictive enough that I don't think you'd end up with an overwhelming number of options unless you're literally talking about walking around looking for for rent signs.

Washington Heights (west of Broadway, but not sure if that's changed in the last few years) and Inwood are fine, but it's probably better to stick closer to the school campus in your first year.

All of these neighborhoods have a good amount of park space and interesting architecture. All of them are going to have coffee shops and museums/theaters.
In Hamilton Heights he’ll find a lot of options under 1,000. He will find nothing that cheap in Morningside Heights and not sure of anything that cheap in Manhattanville. I know that area very well....

Old 03-05-2018, 01:26 PM

37,130 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
In Hamilton Heights he’ll find a lot of options under 1,000. He will find nothing that cheap in Morningside Heights and not sure of anything that cheap in Manhattanville. I know that area very well....
We're in agreement.

Let me just rephrase what I was saying. He's probably not physically walking around all over looking for FOR RENT signs, but instead, looking things up through the internet.

Adding Morningside Heights and Manhattanville in that price range isn't going to net that much more in the pool of residences compared to looking at only Hamilton Heights, and since he's looking from online, not that much more effort, so he might as well rope in those neighborhoods since they are decent neighborhoods that meet his other requirements even if the listings websites don't turn up with anything at those prices for Morningside Heights and Manhattanville.

I believe randomperson2 was saying the same thing.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:03 PM

34 posts, read 36,837 times
Thanks, everyone!

Based on your input, I'll include Manhattanville in my list, and will probably steer away from Washington Heights since it's not as walkable to campus.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:11 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incandescence View Post
Thanks, everyone!

Based on your input, I'll include Manhattanville in my list, and will probably steer away from Washington Heights since it's not as walkable to campus.
I'd pass on all of those areas... An endless row of dirty rat infested blocks. You'd be better off in Riverdale, but if you care about walkability, then by all means.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
We're in agreement.

Let me just rephrase what I was saying. He's probably not physically walking around all over looking for FOR RENT signs, but instead, looking things up through the internet.

Adding Morningside Heights and Manhattanville in that price range isn't going to net that much more in the pool of residences compared to looking at only Hamilton Heights, and since he's looking from online, not that much more effort, so he might as well rope in those neighborhoods since they are decent neighborhoods that meet his other requirements even if the listings websites don't turn up with anything at those prices for Morningside Heights and Manhattanville.

I believe randomperson2 was saying the same thing.
I do understand what you’re saying. Yes, it doesn’t hurt to scan those neighborhoods. He might find something in Manhattanville. Morningside Heights at that price range he is likely to just find total dumps.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:25 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,750,269 times
Hey bud.

I’m biased as I live here, but I’d go with Hamilton Heights. It’s nicer than the other options, close to campus (both Columbia and City College), has a lot of grad students and young professionals, bars, restaurants, nice architecture (actually some of the best in the city), and you have 5 trains at 145th (A, B, C, D at Saint Nicholas and the 1 at Broadway). Two of which (A and D) can get you to midtown in ten minutes for those times you need to.

Just note, the neighborhood has become very popular over the past ten years and rents are popping like crazy. But you mentioned you are willing to have roommates, so I think you are good to go!

Let me know if you have any questions and good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: