Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2018, 09:29 PM

35 posts, read 67,229 times

Advertisements

Am bringing some teens to NY/PA/DC for spring break. 5 of us get off a red-eye at JFK at 6:15am and pick up a free-on-points mid-sized SUV in a few days. I will buy the EZ pass thing from the rental car company and I know this is a crazy plan. We have a (also points-free) hotel over in NJ that will be waiting to give us an early check-in so the kids can sleep.

I was just going to let Google maps route me, but I can see that it's going to be 1.75 - 3 hrs to head west to our hotel no matter which we way go that fateful morning.

IF I WANT TO BRAVE CROSSING THROUGH MID-TOWN (or maybe going south to Battery Park / 9/11 area), which iconic wake-up-and-look-at-your-surroundings thing should I maybe do with them to stretch and kill a little time? One of the kids is going on a Princeton / Penn visit immediately and won't be coming back in to Manhattan at all and I (stupidly) promised her parents I'd make her wake up and do ONE stereo-typical NYC tourist thing as we crossed to the hotel that first day.

I've been to NYC enough times that I don't even care about getting out and trying to park and do "whatever" with them -- if I had a reservation I'd just kick a couple of them out of the car and make them go up the Empire State building while I killed time in the car and picked them up an hour later.

Any suggestions would be SO appreciated. The girl's parents are very good friends of mine and I know they won't understand if I just head north through Queens and cross over on 95. (And they are paying me back for doing this with a lovely week in their Park City condo so it's not like it won't be reciprocated .)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 09:33 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
My gosh these aren't babies...These are teenage kids. They need to get used to life which requires little sleep. They will be fine for a few days if they don't get a full 8 hours sleep.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:38 PM

35 posts, read 67,229 times
Good point and thanks. I guess I didn't make clear that the plan for the main part of the group is to get to our NJ hotel & sleep & relax &/or work-out (whatever) that first day. I didn't want to have the rental car in the city the next day, so we were just going to leave it at the hotel and go back in to Manhattan on the train the next day. I'm just trying to stop and do a little something in Manhattan (with the rental car and unshowered kids, etc.) for this ONE girl who won't be coming back in to Manhattan.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:13 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
I'd ask the one girl what she wants to see most? Then if all agree just go and do it. You can be in the city early do what you need to do and get out before noon and go to the hotel.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:29 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BannockCounty View Post
Am bringing some teens to NY/PA/DC for spring break. 5 of us get off a red-eye at JFK at 6:15am and pick up a free-on-points mid-sized SUV in a few days. I will buy the EZ pass thing from the rental car company and I know this is a crazy plan. We have a (also points-free) hotel over in NJ that will be waiting to give us an early check-in so the kids can sleep.
6:15 might be your arrival time but by the time you taxi, deboard, grab your bags, pick up your car, it'll be more like 7:30-8:00 am and full rush hour. It's no big deal but just prepare to be in traffic. The best way to Bergen would be the whitestone to the GWB but the cross bronx can be a special kind of hell in traffic. If you're comfortable in traffic it's no big deal. Obviously Google Maps is your friend and will tell you the fastest way given the current traffic conditions

There is absolutely no point whatsoever to drive through midtown at that time unless you plan on parking the car in a garage and getting out to do things. If you're just going to drive you'll be getting a lot of bumper sightseeing (the passengers that it, you'll just be getting paranoid about pedestrians jumping in front of you)

Old 03-18-2018, 10:37 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
6:15 might be your arrival time but by the time you taxi, deboard, grab your bags, pick up your car, it'll be more like 7:30-8:00 am and full rush hour. It's no big deal but just prepare to be in traffic. The best way to Bergen would be the whitestone to the GWB but the cross bronx can be a special kind of hell in traffic. If you're comfortable in traffic it's no big deal. Obviously Google Maps is your friend and will tell you the fastest way given the current traffic conditions

There is absolutely no point whatsoever to drive through midtown at that time unless you plan on parking the car in a garage and getting out to do things. If you're just going to drive you'll be getting a lot of bumper sightseeing (the passengers that it, you'll just be getting paranoid about pedestrians jumping in front of you)
OMG, yes, this is the absolute worst thing about driving in Midtown is that pedestrians are everywhere and it takes a special kind of hawk-eyed attention and instincts not to hit people who are running in front of your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: