Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 05:31 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal198 View Post
True, my only concern with long island is I feel I would have to leave the neighborhood to do anything. The buildings are beautiful and I believe they have a ferry? But I still feel somewhat removed from "the city" despite it's proximity. I will explore it more however to really get a feel for it. I hope to sell my car but in that area I might need it lol.

Williamsburg was my first choice but the L train shutdown suuuuuuuucks!!! I am not very familiar with Brooklyn and which neighborhoods have the easiest access to manhattan. Thanks for the fort green suggestion, I will check it out as I don't know much about it or it's transportation. Someone mentioned green point but the transportation into the city from there seems kind of spotty.

Midtown is quite interesting, I have noticed several rentals there within my price range...why is that area so much cheaper than other areas like Chelsea? My only concern is that it seems sooooooooo busy but perhaps it's something i'd get used to. It is in the heart of the city which is really cool and every train imaginable is right there (sorry thinking to myself lol). I've never heard of Clinton...will have to google. I really like the building you suggested and will yelp them. Thank you for your help. Also I like streeteasy, I never used them before but they seem to be better than Zillow
Greenpoint crossed my mind briefly because I really like it there, and they do have new construction, especially by the water, HOWEVER, the transportation into the city involves the G train and then transferring from the G train to something else, like the 7 or E in Court Square, or the L in Williamsburg, so that makes it not convenient for you. The G train is the only line in the system that never goes into Manhattan.

Transit in Greenpoint is going to be especially tricky with L train shutdown, which is going to force a lot of people who live in neighboring Williamsburg onto other trains like the G, so I think Greenpoint's transportation is going to be overwhelmed.

If you explore the options on Streeteasy, you can acutually de-select pre-war buildings so they won't appear in your search results. Alternatively you could also select only new construction but then I don't think a building built in, say 2007, would come up, when I am assuming 2007 would be ok with you if it had the correct amenities.

I found the one I linked for you by de-selecting pre-war and selecting a few amenities like gym, dishwasher and elevator.

Good luck! I wish I had $3500 to spend on a new construction rental in the neighborhood of my choice. Sounds fun!

Last edited by Yac; 12-03-2020 at 03:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 05:38 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,931 times
L train is going to be shut down. So don’t rent anywhere that requires the L train.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:55 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
If your young Williamsburg and Astoria are probably the best neighborhoods for you outside Manhattan. Look in both and jump on the best apartment you can find within budget. And I sure do hope you can still find something in either for uner $3.5k.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:57 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,954 times
Midtown is "cheap" because there is a ton of inventory here and winter is a slow rental period. Most buildings will throw out the welcome mat and offer perks for signing. 1-2 months "free" is the current norm but double check that the leasing office isn't trying to pull a fast one by having you sign a 17-odd month lease. Those are the crafty leases meant to force you into a summer renewal when inventory is lower and demand high.

Midtown is noisy, tourists are everywhere, and buildings feel older than the new floor to ceiling glass towers popping up in LIC. In the end midtown worked for us because we are at the center of well... everything. Our friends come to us and most of the activities we enjoy are either steps away or within easy subway distance.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:37 PM

954 posts, read 939,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dittoditto21 View Post
downtown brooklyn/boerum hill/clinton hill end thread
qft

Old 03-28-2018, 08:50 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,843,219 times
Please, this forum is for complaining about the MTA and de Blasio, gaming the civil service exam process, and assisting housing lottery applicants, not acting as a free broker for people looking to rent at those same lottery buildings for market rate. LOL

Old 03-28-2018, 11:29 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This building is not brand new but was built in 2000. One bedroom for $3300. https://streeteasy.com/building/west-54th/0511

Long Island City could be a decent choice, especially if you choose something by the E train, which will get you into Chelsea quickly, barring any issues with the trains. But you're right, it's not the most neighborhoody area. However, perhaps when the buildings continue to go up, more amenities will arrive.
I would also beware of Williamsburg, especially by the L train, with the L train shutdown coming soon.

My coworker said he lives in a 'lady slayer' building in LIC. He pays $3000 monthly. He said the apartments are modern, with a gym and a pool in the building. He said when he slyly invites them over he knows it's a wrap. They always fawn over his apartment and give up the goods. He is approximately 5 ft 6 inches and routinely dates 8s and above. I think that LIC won't give you the neighborly feel but will definitely provide the apartment sexiness you deserve.

What's up with all these 'I got money, I want a sexy apartment' post from people who refuse to use google, street easy/zillow or a broker?

Old 03-28-2018, 11:33 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
My coworker said he lives in a 'lady slayer' building in LIC. He pays $3000 monthly. He said the apartments are modern, with a gym and a pool in the building. He said when he slyly invites them over he knows it's a wrap. They always fawn over his apartment and give up the goods. He is approximately 5 ft 6 inches and routinely dates 8s and above. I think that LIC won't give you the neighborly feel but will definitely provide the apartment sexiness you deserve.

What's up with all these 'I got money, I want a sexy apartment' post from people who refuse to use google, street easy/zillow or a broker?

If I had a budget like that, I wouldn't even bother asking on CD!

Old 03-28-2018, 11:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal198 View Post
True, my only concern with long island is I feel I would have to leave the neighborhood to do anything. The buildings are beautiful and I believe they have a ferry? But I still feel somewhat removed from "the city" despite it's proximity. I will explore it more however to really get a feel for it. I hope to sell my car but in that area I might need it lol.

Williamsburg was my first choice but the L train shutdown suuuuuuuucks!!! I am not very familiar with Brooklyn and which neighborhoods have the easiest access to manhattan. Thanks for the fort green suggestion, I will check it out as I don't know much about it or it's transportation. Someone mentioned green point but the transportation into the city from there seems kind of spotty.

Midtown is quite interesting, I have noticed several rentals there within my price range...why is that area so much cheaper than other areas like Chelsea? My only concern is that it seems sooooooooo busy but perhaps it's something i'd get used to. It is in the heart of the city which is really cool and every train imaginable is right there (sorry thinking to myself lol). I've never heard of Clinton...will have to google. I really like the building you suggested and will yelp them. Thank you for your help. Also I like streeteasy, I never used them before but they seem to be better than Zillow
You don’t need a car in LIC. it’s literally a stop or two from Midtown by the E, M, N, R, W, and 7 trains and the LIRR. Astoria is just a stop or two away from Astoria on the M, N, and R trains. You’ll finds lots of new buildings there.

Williamsburg is pretty nice.

Last edited by Yac; 12-03-2020 at 03:30 AM..

Old 03-28-2018, 11:55 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
L train is going to be shut down. So don’t rent anywhere that requires the L train.
There’s still the G, J, and M trains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City