Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 10:16 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Who implied that any of these stores are high end? The posters on this board does not reflect the life experiences and the decision making process of everyone.

When you tire of new experiences you tire of life. I would rather be touring and experiencing local culture than buying whatever must have clothes or knick knacks people find is important for their life. I have met the most amazing people and I tend to learn something knew on each trip. You can never be 'done' with traveling. Unless you are a times square visiting NY tourist type. There are so mamy amazing things to see on and off the beaten path. Especially here in the United States. You don't even have to leave the country.

Unless your life centers around shopping everyday, occasionally driving to Manhattan or Westchester is no big deal.
Knew should be new*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Right on. Btw, I'm a power hiker, and have hiked half way to Everest (at age 52, six years ago) in a mixture of dime-store and high-end hiking apparel. Actually, everything was dime-store except the LLBean hiking boots. Everything performed well, except the high end boots that fell apart pathetically on the first day in the Himalayan climate (the soles came off!). An old cobbler dude in Namche Bazaar glued them back with some sort of plant resin, but they fell apart again on the way back (they were emergently stabilized with rubber bands and duct tape by my trusty Sherpa who has seen it all before, and were finally disposed, with great annoyance and never-again-anything-from-LLBean, into a trashcan in Kathmandu).
That is amazing! My knees are already squeaking. The most 'hiking' I ever did was renting a donkey to climb up to the higher levels of Petra. I am sure you had the most amazing feeling of accomplishment. Plus being at one with nature.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:23 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
You reflect modern values; this is especially the millenial point of view. Those are the same values I ascribe to, but I'm a GenXer. In general it was the Boomers who were into status. There are however, millenials who are old fashioned and conservative who are still into status. I thought he was much older based on his views.
Nope... I'm not into status but I believe in making myself look presentable. I can wear a plain t-shirt pants and a pair of drivers and still look great. It isn't about things being expensive. Just knowing quality, how things are cut and should fit and so on. Living in Europe I suppose I was trained well as the Europeans understand this well. You can look like you spent tons of money if you know how to wear things right. Let's hope the Bronx catches on and soon because with the exception of maybe Riverdale (a few stylish ex-Manhattanites here and there), it seems like folks dress really dumpy.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I have a pair of LL Bean boots that are five years old (at least). They've held up great, but I certainly don't consider them "high-end" as you do. I just bought them because I wanted American made boots at a good price. lol
You sound like a 15 year old valley girl stuck on making fetch happen. We are discussing the differences and reasons for spending more money on one item for percieved additional benefit. He was simply pointing out that his inexpensive clothing performed just as well if not better than the more expensive ll bean. I am laughing at you trying to #metoo LL bean gear.

Last edited by LOVEROFNYC; 04-01-2018 at 10:33 AM..

Old 04-01-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Nope... I'm not into status but I believe in making myself look presentable. I can wear a plain t-shirt pants and a pair of drivers and still look great. It isn't about things being expensive. Just knowing quality, how things are cut and should fit and so on. Living in Europe I suppose I was trained well as the Europeans understand this well. You can look like you spent tons of money if you know how to wear things right. Let's hope the Bronx catches on and soon because with the exception of maybe Riverdale (a few stylish ex-Manhattanites here and there), it seems like folks dress really dumpy.
You constantly name drop and 'i live a fabulous life'. You don't have to buy brand to get quality. P.s. different level brands often use the same factory.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:29 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
You sound like a 15 year old valley girl stuck on making fetch happen. We are discussing the differences and reasons for spending more money on one item for percieved additional benefit. He was simply pointing out that his inexpensive clothes performed just as well if not better as the more expensive ll bean. I am laughing at you trying to #metoo LL bean gear.
I'm a dude who has been exposed to good things at an early age. In my 20s I had my first apartment in one of the most expensive areas of Italy with my own money, and traveled around as I pleased. If you have to live in the Bronx just to say you can travel well I guess if that floats your boat.

I just think it's crazy to pay such high rents in the Bronx and not see ANY real amenities.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 04-01-2018 at 10:52 AM..

Old 04-01-2018, 10:33 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,398,599 times
Quote:
That is amazing! My knees are already squeaking. The most 'hiking' I ever did was renting a donkey to climb up to the higher levels of Petra. I am sure you had the most amazing feeling of accomplishment. Plus being at one with nature.
Well, I don't really see it as an accomplishment (considering how big the Himalayas are compared to my own size, or the size of anything else really), but it was a feeling of cosmic amazement comparable maybe only to feeling of being born (although admittedly I don't quite remember being born, but it must have been something like it). In addition to the usual majesty of nature and the very interesting Sherpa culture, it is the SIZE of the space around you that really does not exist anywhere else. The effort of climbing was quite intense - the Base Camp trail is essentially either like climbing stairs, (in much of the areas, the boulders are stacked just like stairs), or a dirt path at a very steep grade... so, imagine climbing about 1,000 stairs every day for about a week each way (up and down, the trail goes up and down, not all straight up), then you can do it.

Just in line with this forum topic, I want to mention that I did the whole 3-week trip in 2012 (2 weeks in the Himalayas and 1 week in Kathmandu) for about $3,500 total, where 40% of the price was the plane ticket (even the most discounted one I could find, involving sleeping on the airport in Singapore). Nepal is very inexpensive, and if you use a local travel/mountain guide company from Kathmandu (Mosaic is an excellent one, they are on Facebook), and sleep in very primitive teahouse accommodations, one of the most amazing experiences in the world can be yours cheaply. Consider it!

Old 04-01-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I'm a dude who has been exposed to good things at an early age. In my 20s I had my first apartment in one of the most expensive areas of Italy with my own money, and traveled around as I pleased. If you have to live in the Bronx just to say you can travel well I guess if that flotas your boat.

I just think it's crazy to pay such high rents in the Bronx and not see ANY real amenities.
I am on my 3rd house in my 30s. The price of rent in the Bronx has nothing to do with me. I am just here for the entertainment value. Let's not throw tantrums over other's life choices now lol.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:37 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,821 times
Quote:
Yeah but your version of quality is based on a lot of assumptions. I went to an art opening with a lot of people in the fashion industry. They were fawning all over me about some necklace I wore. They loved it so much and wanted to know where I got it. I told them a dollar store. They were confounded and said they loved my style and my keen eye. There are some things that are really low quality; however once you get above bottom of the barrel, most things are good enough. Fit and tailoring is far more important than anything else. Also knowing what is flattering and what is not. I tend to hold on to clothes for far too long; even with classic styles; things go out somewhat quickly. For example: I have a pair of Ann Taylor pants. They have held up very well. But the leg is wide near the bottom and the style now is just the opposite. What's the point in having a decent quality pair of trousers if I can't wear them because they are out of style. (Women's fashion does change more rapidly then men.) PS: Euros.. that depends on what part of Europe. Can we say sneakers and socks? LOL My experience with some of the more fashionable European places was there was no middle ground. It was either high end fashion, or bottom of the barrel crap.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:40 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,821 times
Quote:
You constantly name drop and 'i live a fabulous life'. You don't have to buy brand to get quality. P.s. different level brands often use the same factory.
It's true! When I was a poor college student, I wanted a pair of Teva sandals. Back then, I really cared about looks so I wasn't gonna spend a lot of money on butt ugly shoes. I needed them for something. I bought a pair in PayLess for about $10. I also bought them in the men's section because they had purple trim. :P Anyway, I still have those shoes. After almost 20 odd years, they are still in good condition despite having been worn quite a lot. On the other hand, I bought a pair of Clark's that couldn't even stay together for one season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City