Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 11:53 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,024,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
A common complaint I see about white gentrifiers from the anti-gentrification activists is that they call the police for non pressing issues, I'm just saying that I don't think there's an epidemic of them moving into black neighborhoods and snitching on everyone.

I shouldn't generalize them as partiers, however I do genuinely believe that actual hipsters would not call the police over people selling drugs or blasting music. I know a lot of these people (I know I don't live in Brooklyn, but similar people exist here too and a lot of them have moved to Brooklyn since high school) and that's just my observation.

But the people considered to be gentrifiers spans from cokehead hipsters to wealthy yuppie types so I guess it varies.
First of all the hipster label is just BS. Yes, they actually do have jobs and yes, they actually do call the police over blasting music or drug dealers loitering in the neighborhood. I've seen it happen in Harlem, Bedstuy, and Jackson Heights. I've seen these people organize and go to community boards, etc.

Blasting music keeps working people up all night and makes it hard for people to study. Complaints about music or legitimate. When I lived in West Harlem, a dealer killed another dealer over a fight over territory. After then the NYPD cracked down on dealers big time across the neighborhood, and you stopped seeing guys hanging out so much.

Police protection does get better when white people move in, as the city prioritizes keeping them safe. In that sense minorities do indeed benefit from gentrification. Services in general improve.

Those complaining minorities need to get JOBS and stop blasting music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 11:57 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,024,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
I for sure call the cops if you sell drugs infront of my house. If you are confident that this is the line of work you want to be in that is fine. But, I would suggest you have your customers come to your apartment/house.

The long time residents are not ok with drug dealing and constant loud music. Occasional parties are fine.
Yes. Long term residents always complained, but the police didn't do as much until the era of gentrification. In order to get people, especially white people to move into renovated buildings or new buildings things such as constant music or drug dealing in front of people's homes just isn't tolerated.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:04 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,760,576 times
The worst are people who blast music OUT their window while they are inside (and I mean their speakers are facing out the window). WTF? I had to call the cops on someone a few months ago about this. They took 3 hours to show up, but did resolve the issue.

No one wants to hear your ****ty gangster rap or Spanish clown car music blast OUT your window. Sorry...

Old 04-07-2018, 03:05 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,335,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Dude, no gentrifier or anyone else is that old. It's not like 158 year old are gentrifying Brooklyn.
Slave ownership is in their blood. Yet l1995 rather them then post slavery immigrants. It is a weird hatred he has. Immigrants have been living in close proximity to Blacks during pre-gentrification, while the slaveowners wait for gentrification kicks in before taking over to run things again as you'll see in certain parts of Bushwick and Bed-Stuy, and all of Williamsburg, Fort Greene and Clinton Hill.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:16 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,512,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Slave ownership is in their blood. Yet l1995 rather them then post slavery immigrants. It is a weird hatred he has. Immigrants have been living in close proximity to Blacks during pre-gentrification, while the slaveowners wait for gentrification kicks in before taking over to run things again as you'll see in certain parts of Bushwick and Bed-Stuy, and all of Williamsburg, Fort Greene and Clinton Hill.
Hispanic and South Asian immigrants have lived around blacks pre-gentrification, not white immigrants so much.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:01 AM

3,862 posts, read 3,164,952 times
Some people really need to take their meds, but they don't,or have no insurance ,or sell it on the street.

If someone was pretend pulling a gun on people, would there not be some gunfire? That should have been a sign.

People are pissed because a white lady in Staten island did not get shot in similiar circumstances.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:31 AM

31 posts, read 51,002 times
His own Neighbors called the police on him his Neighbors did this to him

Old 04-07-2018, 09:33 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,166,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
If someone was pretend pulling a gun on people, would there not be some gunfire? That should have been a sign.

Are you saying the police should have arrived and waited til he shot some passerby, in order to determine if the gun was fake or not? I don't think a shooting of a passerby would have gone over too well with the explanation from the police that they were waiting for a gunshot to see if the gun was real.

People can't have it both ways. They have knowledge AFTER THE FACT that the gun was fake so they are all up in arms about the outcome. The truth is the police (and all the terrified bystanders who were ducking and calling 911) believed the gun was real. And they acted on that, as they should.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:39 AM

31 posts, read 51,002 times
His on Neighbors called the police on him and didn't they know who he was they all say on the news they knew who he was but yet they called the police so if this man is dead it's not the police fault it's the neighbors fault

Old 04-07-2018, 11:37 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,335,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Hispanic and South Asian immigrants have lived around blacks pre-gentrification, not white immigrants so much.
You know so little. This is far from the truth. Remove South Asian in it's entirety, and all Hispanics aside from Puerto Ricans and Dominicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City