Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 05:38 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times

Advertisements

Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, and New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 06:16 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Well the numbers are important of course, but I believe there are other factors as well such as concentration of ethnic businesses, and presence throughout the borough.
Except whether you can always accurately identify ethnic businesses by just visiting a neighborhood is also questionable, and I'm not talking about you personally.

That's why statistics are important. Central Queens has huge Mexican and Dominican presence, and you MISSED that in your OP.

Immigrant owned businesses don't always say the CHINESE restaurant or the DOMINICAN beauty parlor. They can be stuff like salons, travel agencies, money exchange places, banks, law firms, and some of this stuff won't stand out as much.

Central Queens even has Dominican politicians elected to office, and stuff like this you definitely can't see by just walking through a neighborhood.

Lower East Side, if you hang out on bars on Christie Street or Second Avenue looks very white and gentrified. However if you go closer to the river it is Mexican and Dominican and other Latinos.

Harlem. Some parts of Harlem have not gentrified that much, and some parts have gentrified like crazy. Example, East Harlem around 116th street has gentrified a little. Below 110th Street it's gentrified a lot more. Some parts of Central Harlem are somewhat gentrified. 125th Street has all the major retailers there. West Harlem has the Columbia expansion, plus Hamilton Heights has become very popular and trendy and all these new restaurants have opened up to cater to the new white population.

If you're just passing through an area, you'll probably miss a lot of the subtle stuff that's there.

I do think SeventhFloor can be unnecessarily harsh. But............

On seeing your post on some of the stuff you said I was thinking, DUDE, HOW COULD YOU?

You missed that Central Queens has a lot of Mexicans and Dominicans? Communities in the city don't just have ethnic businesses. They often have various non profit organizations that deal with said communities. You'll find gay Latino organizations in Jackson Heights, as well as other pan Latino organizations that deal with various social services, religious, educational, and political organizations. I can say the same for Harlem and the Lower East Side. Jackson Heights also has a South Asian population, and not only do they have their own religious organizations, whether Hindu or Muslim or Buddhist, they also have pan South Asian organizations. I mention these organizations because they are not necessarily visible if you just visit a neighborhood, but people who work or live in the neighborhood will be more aware of them.

You missed that Manhattan has a Chinatown? You missed the growing Chinese presence uptown, especially East Harlem? You missed Mexicans and Dominicans in the Lower East Side? You missed Eastern Europeans in the Lower East Side? The LES still has Orthodox and Catholic churches and synagogues, among other organizations that catered and cater to the population of Eastern European descent.

I know you don't have bad intentions. At all. You don't know the city that well, and for some reason you don't like to look up the stats or back things up from official sources.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:23 PM

Also keep in mind personal associations can be VERY WRONG. Deal with facts more, or at least be a bit more open to that you may not have seen the full picture.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:32 PM

NYC neighborhoods I lived in.

Woodside, Jackson Heights, Corona, Hells Kitchen, Wakefield, East Harlem, West Harlem, Far Rockaway, and Bedstuy.

NYC neighborhoods I worked in. Downtown Manhattan, Chelsea, Midtown Manhattan, UWS, Bensonhurst, and Flushing.

So I've seen and experienced and dealt with a big part of the city, with the exception of Staten Island.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:37 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
NYC neighborhoods I lived in.

Woodside, Jackson Heights, Corona, Hells Kitchen, Wakefield, East Harlem, West Harlem, Far Rockaway, and Bedstuy.
How bourgeoisie...

Old 04-22-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
How bourgeoisie...
Lots of dudes packing between their legs. That's the most important part about those areas. Big guns if you know what I mean.................

Old 04-22-2018, 07:27 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Lots of dudes packing between their legs. That's the most important part about those areas. Big guns if you know what I mean.................
Who knew these areas were famous for having sausage fests...

Old 04-22-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Who knew these areas were famous for having sausage fests...
I love my African Americans, Trinidadians, Bajans, Jamaicans, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Colombians, Venezuelans Haitians, Senegalese, Ghanians, Nigerians, Mexicans, etc.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:50 PM

And to think, it was Mr. Ryu was the one who exposed me as liking thugs. Right after SeventhFloor pointed out I'd lived in many hoods without problems.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:47 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
Quote:
And to think, it was Mr. Ryu was the one who exposed me as liking thugs. Right after SeventhFloor pointed out I'd lived in many hoods without problems.
is that you Don Lemon ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City