Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2018, 02:04 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
You will eventually get there. We own a Tudor. When we purchased we originally planned on just renovating the bathrooms and the kitchen and painting. But then we realised that there was no insulation. The previous owner had also sealed some of the windows. I don't know if it was for the purpose of conserving heat. We also couldnt save the herringbone floors.

We decided to take it down to the studs and renovated from there. Our heating bill is now the same as our previous house that was half the size. We also reopened 5 of the windows previously sealed and replaced 40 windows. It was a looonngggg renovation. It took us approximately a year and a half.

We removed the wall between the dinning and the living so that it had a more open and larger feel. The previous owner had already incorporated a sun room into the kitchen. We also turned a small room into our closet.

I love old houses with character. When you update them you get best of both worlds.

Alot of these old colonial just need a bit of painting if you have sidings. Some contractors will tell you that you need to replace them when you really don't.

Enjoy your home. I am sure it is beautiful.
Oh my just a tudor big shot? A guy like you should own several properties by now. I'm sure you're MUCH older than me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 02:13 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Sorry, I don't believe in mooching off of my parents. My college education was paid for primarily with my own money that I worked for. The only thing my parents did was use their connections to help me get jobs here and there, but otherwise they didn't believe in pampering me. Sure I had a few student loans. That was my choice because I decided to go to an expensive private school in Europe. My apartment in Europe was paid for with my own money as well. No roommates.

All of the other spoiled kids had roommates though. I rent by choice (market rate - no lotteries). If I really wanted to own, I could've several years ago. You're trying to tell me what my standards should be. You're not me. Live your life and I'll live mine! When I'm ready to own I will trust me. What I do know is I want an apartment, no house. Whether or not I want a co-op or a condo is really something I'm trying to figure out and will in due time.

If I was settled down with a family like yodel is with kids, I would definitely own, but there really is no rush. I have no kids, young financially stable, etc., so I'm certainly no worried about what some dude or chick days on some random forum. lol
Lol. Call it what you will. A hall mark of upperclass living is being able to afford your financial responsibilities and lifestyle above the working man standard. It is also being able to give your off springs that financial leg up by not having them saddled with loans and debt at the start of their lives. This allows them to maintain their lifestyle and status. I have a number of friends who are paying their kids way through college and gifting them down payments.

One studied in Paris for a year, funded by her parents. The parents or the kida certainly don't view that as mooching. Even after these kids graduated some of my friends still provide (or receive, I have a wide age range of friends)their kids financial support. Two of these kids earn in excess of $100k.

None of them are as obnoxious as you are.

You take pride in looking down your nose at people on this forum as if your renting in a certain neighborhood makes you somehow superior. I was just pointing out that you really are not. Carry on lol.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Lol. Call it what you will. A hall mark of upperclass living is being able to afford your financial responsibilities and lifestyle above the working man standard. It is also being able to give your off springs that financial leg up by not having them saddled with loans and debt at the start of their lives. This allows them to maintain their lifestyle and status. I have a number of friends who are paying their kids way through college and gifting them down payments.

One studied in Paris for a year, funded by her parents. The parents or the kida certainly don't view that as mooching. Even after these kids graduated some of my friends still provide (or receive, I have a wide age range of friends)their kids financial support. Two of these kids earn in excess of $100k.

You take pride in looking down your nose at people on this forum as if your renting in a certain neighborhood makes you somehow superior. I was just pointing out that you really are not. Carry on lol.
As I said, I chose to do it that way and I have no regrets. I have cousins who had their college education paid for by their parents and they weren't nearly as independent and smart with money as I am. I was not "saddled" with debt. Not sure what gave you that impression either. Those loans were paid off several years ago.

Feel free to keep rambling but I have nothing to be ashamed of, and your little comments are just that. Comments. You don't know me and you aren't hot sh't because you own a little tudor, but I'll pat you on the back for a job well done.

My girlfriend had her education paid for too... Williams... Makes over $100k a year and can't manage money to save her life and here is some stranger trying to lecture me on money. What a joke. lol

The only thing I take issue with is you trying to insult my parents for bringing me up to be independent.

Do you even own in NY? With a name like LoverofNYC, I doubt you even can afford to live here. Probably out in Maine somewhere. LOL

Old 04-28-2018, 02:22 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
Quote:

He's obviously overcompensating for something...

Old 04-28-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
He's obviously overcompensating for something...
Yes I have a complex about living in Bedford Park.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:21 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
Quote:
Yes I have a complex about living in Bedford Park.
That doesn't even make sense

Old 04-28-2018, 04:21 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Sorry, I don't believe in mooching off of my parents. My college education was paid for primarily with my own money that I worked for. The only thing my parents did was use their connections to help me get jobs here and there, but otherwise they didn't believe in pampering me. Sure I had a few student loans. That was my choice because I decided to go to an expensive private school in Europe. My apartment in Europe was paid for with my own money as well. No roommates.

All of the other spoiled kids had roommates though. I rent by choice (market rate - no lotteries). If I really wanted to own, I could've several years ago. You're trying to tell me what my standards should be. You're not me. Live your life and I'll live mine! When I'm ready to own I will trust me. What I do know is I want an apartment, no house. Whether or not I want a co-op or a condo is really something I'm trying to figure out and will in due time.

If I was settled down with a family like yodel is with kids, I would definitely own, but there really is no rush. I have no kids, young, financially stable, etc., so I'm certainly not worried about what some dude or chick says on some random forum. lol

I don't think too many youngsters like me were traveling around Europe using their own money while still in college.
The bold'd is what ends up coming back to bite people in the butt some years later.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:46 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Well, this thread just got entertaining...

Nothing beats a good series of backhanded comments LOL!!!

Old 04-28-2018, 04:49 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
One thing I don’t get about Bedford Park is why there isn’t little mini college town kind of thing happening there as it’s between Lehman College and Fordham. It would seem like something would stick, but all I recall is a single dive bar.

It seems like opening businesses along 198th street for that crowd would make some sense.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-28-2018 at 05:08 PM..

Old 04-28-2018, 05:06 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Oh please. Like those Latinos are moving there to speak Spanish.... I could see it now... ¡¡Dímelo!!
My point was that it's such a heavily Hispanic borough that pretty much every neighborhood has at least a sizable Hispanic population. Even Riverdale and Woodlawn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City