Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 06:49 PM

243 posts, read 310,180 times

Advertisements

@OP,

I think it's very low class to do that in public and some people just aren't educated enough or come from countries where that is acceptable. I try to not even eat in the subway or sip coffee if I can help it. If I need to comb my hair, I'll only do it in an empty subway cart, which is usually the last cart.

Also, its illegal to take pictures of someone without their permission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 07:07 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Clipping fingernails anywhere other then your own home is disgusting! Make up is fine, if you able to do it. Polish shouldn't be done in public due to the smell. While I happen to like the smell, others may have reactions to it.

This thread reminds me of one time being in Bed Bath and Beyond and some guy took a clippers and started to clip his fingernails in the aisle.
I said something like, come on dude that's disgusting. If you want to use it buy it. Then I got accused of being racist.....I'm like excuse me. He said I only said something to him cause we weren't the same race and I wouldn't say that to my own race. I said I sure as hell would, I don't care what race you are or what sex you are, what your doing is disgusting, your using something you aren't gonna buy to clip your body parts. He put down the clippers then and walked away. So buyer beware, by the one's in packages not that are open.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:12 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaMatthews View Post
@OP,

I think it's very low class to do that in public and some people just aren't educated enough or come from countries where that is acceptable. I try to not even eat in the subway or sip coffee if I can help it. If I need to comb my hair, I'll only do it in an empty subway cart, which is usually the last cart.

Also, its illegal to take pictures of someone without their permission.

No, that is not correct.

It is only "illegal" to photograph someone generally where there is an expectation of privacy. Thus someone cannot take pictures inside your home, a restroom, or some such place.

OTOH courts have held for decades that when on a public street or out in same there is *NO* expectation of privacy thus no permission is needed or required to take moving or still photograph images.

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/s...es-and-privacy

If I see you on a subway and snap your picture with my phone there isn't a GD thing you can do legally. You *might* complain to NYPD and they can attempt to lean on me to delete image; but can also tell them the same thing; go pound salt as am totally within my rights.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:13 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
Clipping nails in public is disgusting, but I see this from salarymen in Tokyo in restaurants and the like. Maybe a major metro area kind of thing?

Old 04-26-2018, 07:37 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,100,522 times
A few times I've seen men transform themselves into women on the train. Plenty of women putting on makeup. It's fascinating to see people change their appearance in public whether through makeup or more involved measures.

The only objections I have are to bad smells like smelly food or nail polish, letting body parts like finger & toenails fly and flipping hair in people's faces. Those are nasty habits.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:22 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
I don't see how make-up could be offensive.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:42 PM

33 posts, read 22,089 times
The security dude at my job clips his nails at the desk and door all the time and it’s like

A. That’s freaking DIGUSTING
B. Annoying
C. Dude how fast do your nails grow back?!

Who clips their nails EVERYDAY? You would legit think he’s wolverine because his nails seem never ending. And he like zones out with his mouth open and tongue hanging EW

Sorry I know we were talking about the subway but people doing that in public period are gross.

Last edited by Bornandraisednyc; 04-26-2018 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: Add

Old 04-26-2018, 08:46 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
I don't have the same negative reaction to seeing people put on makeup as I do with nail polish. For some reason seeing someone put on toe nail polish seemed even worse than finger nail polish.

Nail polish is also particularly smelly, although in this case I couldn't smell it from across the car, but surely those next to the woman could smell it.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:48 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornandraisednyc View Post
You would legit think he’s wolverine because his nails seem never ending. And he like zones out with his mouth open and tongue hanging EW

Sorry I know we were talking about the subway but people doing that in public period are gross.
That's funny but disgusting!!!

Old 04-26-2018, 08:54 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,577,158 times
Haha....better than someone poop in the subway cart. Not saying what they are doing is right, but is better than the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City