Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 06:52 AM

1,063 posts, read 698,744 times

Advertisements

Another reason I don't have kids. Ungrateful rugrats plunging through your savings leaving you destitute in old age. If I'm going to be destitute let it be by my own hand without sacrificing 21 years for an ungrateful runt poisoned by society.

The tax payer would not be footing this man's bill if it wasn't for his son. He could have done a bad job as a dad who knows. But more often than not I see most kids are ungrateful even when raised properly, this society mocks and disrespects and discards elders all the time.

He is 70 years old surely he has some valuable advice for today's youth with his life experience. But we have him wasting away in a homeless shelter. He may have done wrong in his life but that is why we need him contributing and not just being a leech on the system. Set this man up with housing and give him a job involved with mentoring high risk students that show interest in doing the right thing in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 02:18 PM

31,957 posts, read 27,101,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The article says: Several other readers suggested he move somewhere cheaper like Albany or Iowa.

Jackson welcomed the ideas but is hoping for a permanent setup somewhere in the city.

"I'm a New Yorker plain and simple," he said. "It would be really difficult for me to pull myself out of here."

So, let's get this straight. He'd rather live tired and fearfully in a taxpayer-funded horrible shelter where all people do is fight all the time, just because it's NYC, rather than move somewhere he can afford?
And what of it?

You do realize plenty of native New Yorkers in same or worse situations (or even in best of) feel same way?

If you are born and raised in a place, it being all that you know it isn't easy to simply pack up and move. Especially at 70 years old.

You do also know amount of SS bennies are determined by where you live, you know that don't cha?

This guy's $2100 could be reduced if he moved to some flyover state/area with a lower COL.

He'd probably be worse off at his age living somewhere else, unless it was with family, and we already know how that went.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,013,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Sad, very sad story, but not totally uncommon.

We none of us know what tomorrow will bring which is why one must plan for all contingencies instead of living for the day. This of course does not always work out, and is particular hard for many when they are young and see the world and their lives as a one big game.

Sadly also while it would be nice we cannot always rely upon family, even own children. That this guy's son *took* much of the buyout money then moved on to dipping into his dad's SS checks is sad, but then again happens all the time. Ditto with that nonsense from the sister.

Reading this guy's experiences in with the shelter system once again has me thinking about WildCardSteve. It's been months since he last posted and pray to God he's doing well. His was another situation of someone that did everything right early in life, only to find himself homeless and destitute.
There's a lot of elder abuse out there, and because of this man's illnesses it probably made him more vulnerable to his family. A man like this definitely needs a Section 8 or a NYCHA apartment that takes no more than 1/3rd of his paycheck.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
The article says: Several other readers suggested he move somewhere cheaper like Albany or Iowa.

Jackson welcomed the ideas but is hoping for a permanent setup somewhere in the city.

"I'm a New Yorker plain and simple," he said. "It would be really difficult for me to pull myself out of here."

So, let's get this straight. He'd rather live tired and fearfully in a taxpayer-funded horrible shelter where all people do is fight all the time, just because it's NYC, rather than move somewhere he can afford?
Aside from the disability benefits being determined by the cost of living (meaning his check would get SUBSTANTIALLY reduced upon leaving NYC), moving far out of the city has other costs. NYC has excellent public transportation, and is pretty walkable. Most of the country you have to drive long distance, and it's not unheard for people to have to drive two or more hours to the doctor. This is an old sick man.

Also he'd be moving to a place where he knows no one, and to start out all over again at 70 and not under great circumstances is not that good. A 70 year old with no health and money issues, or that had stable family could easily move. He has none of those things.

NYC can't export it's poor, and for people who spent their entire lives working hard in NYC and paying taxes, if they want to stay here and use the welfare system in old age they are more than entitled to do so.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
And what of it?

You do realize plenty of native New Yorkers in same or worse situations (or even in best of) feel same way?

If you are born and raised in a place, it being all that you know it isn't easy to simply pack up and move. Especially at 70 years old.

You do also know amount of SS bennies are determined by where you live, you know that don't cha?

This guy's $2100 could be reduced if he moved to some flyover state/area with a lower COL.

He'd probably be worse off at his age living somewhere else, unless it was with family, and we already know how that went.
For people who worked and paid taxes and contributed to the city's economy their whole lives or their whole adult lives, if they want to stay in NYC it is their right even if they have to use the social services/welfare system. That's what it's here for. And yes, it's not that easy to pack up and move even if you're young, unless you have some sort of situation lined up (a lot of money, a house you can stay in, a job or school program waiting for you, etc) and/or some sort of support somewhere.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:38 AM

34,142 posts, read 47,382,855 times
I wonder how long it takes to get a NYCHA apartment in a senior development (if it's as long as a regular NYCHA apartment)...

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-08-2018, 02:32 PM

9,249 posts, read 24,101,974 times
Quote:
And what of it?

Social security retirement benefits are set according to how much you paid into the system during your life and have nothing to do with where you are located. Once your benefit amount is determined you can live anywhere in the US or anywhere else in the world and have the same amount automatically deposited into an account wherever you want. This is one of the reasons why a lot of people retire to states with low living costs like a Florida.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:37 PM

9,249 posts, read 24,101,974 times
Quote:

As they say in AA , everyone has a different bottom and some people don’t seem to have one. They just spiral down ‘till the end. This guy is obviously still in a delusional state and hasn’t hit bottom yet .

Old 05-08-2018, 02:40 PM

25,387 posts, read 37,134,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I find this story interesting. A generation ago this man rubbed shoulders and shacked hands with the cities most powerful and influential. Now this individual is homeless living in a men's shelter in Brooklyn. We always have to remember that we live in NYC. Yes one came make it to the top, but also those who are near the top can also fall to the bottom. I hope this individual gets back on his feet.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fo...cid=spartandhp

So sad for Mark Zuckerberg to come to this end.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:42 PM

25,387 posts, read 37,134,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
It was a very sobering read. It's nice to have property under your own name but also essential to have enough savings to cover maintenance/real estate taxes, utilities, food & other basic necessities. I'm already preparing for retirement and am not counting on social security benefits at all since they predict funds for that will run dry by the time I reach full retirement. Ditto Medicare/Medicaid. My generation is screwed.

Aeran, those are the same predictions that were made for Social Security during the FDR administration and for Medicare during the LBJ years.
Stupid scare tactics by those who resent paying the tab.

Social Security was there for my parents and is there for me and will be there for you and your kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City