Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 09:17 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times

Advertisements

I find this story interesting. A generation ago this man rubbed shoulders and shacked hands with the cities most powerful and influential. Now this individual is homeless living in a men's shelter in Brooklyn. We always have to remember that we live in NYC. Yes one came make it to the top, but also those who are near the top can also fall to the bottom. I hope this individual gets back on his feet.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fo...cid=spartandhp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 09:31 AM

804 posts, read 546,260 times
I was hanging out with a millionaire/trust-fund-baby on a beach with two predatory female/models. It is perfectly understandable. That is how NYC is. mini-mansions, big-mansion, cabin, shack, all in the same lane.

Otherwise this in the article is what turns my head

"His final stint at City Hall was at the Civilian Complaint Review Board, the watchdog agency that at the time was being accused of holding back on probing cop misconduct.

There, he says he was forced out when an NYPD commander objected to his use of the term “Five-Oh” in pamphlets CCRB distributed to youths to improve police-community relations.
"

Old 05-06-2018, 05:55 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Sad, very sad story, but not totally uncommon.

We none of us know what tomorrow will bring which is why one must plan for all contingencies instead of living for the day. This of course does not always work out, and is particular hard for many when they are young and see the world and their lives as a one big game.

Sadly also while it would be nice we cannot always rely upon family, even own children. That this guy's son *took* much of the buyout money then moved on to dipping into his dad's SS checks is sad, but then again happens all the time. Ditto with that nonsense from the sister.

Reading this guy's experiences in with the shelter system once again has me thinking about WildCardSteve. It's been months since he last posted and pray to God he's doing well. His was another situation of someone that did everything right early in life, only to find himself homeless and destitute.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:43 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I find this story interesting. A generation ago this man rubbed shoulders and shacked hands with the cities most powerful and influential. Now this individual is homeless living in a men's shelter in Brooklyn. We always have to remember that we live in NYC. Yes one came make it to the top, but also those who are near the top can also fall to the bottom. I hope this individual gets back on his feet.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fo...cid=spartandhp
I read this also and found it a sad story. Its very true life can take everything away pretty quickly. The shelters are awful, he and many others have gone and had what little they have left stolen, or been assaulted. His family situation was a big factor, as he had a place with them previously but had a major falling out. Couple this with no savings or owned property and it was a double whammy.

Hope he gets a break and has a chance to move forward again.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:59 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,772,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I read this also and found it a sad story. Its very true life can take everything away pretty quickly. The shelters are awful, he and many others have gone and had what little they have left stolen, or been assaulted. His family situation was a big factor, as he had a place with them previously but had a major falling out. Couple this with no savings or owned property and it was a double whammy.

It was a very sobering read. It's nice to have property under your own name but also essential to have enough savings to cover maintenance/real estate taxes, utilities, food & other basic necessities. I'm already preparing for retirement and am not counting on social security benefits at all since they predict funds for that will run dry by the time I reach full retirement. Ditto Medicare/Medicaid. My generation is screwed.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post

Sad thing was (or is) that he likely got *something* when he took a buyout for that RS apartment. That sum coupled together with his SS should have been enough to find decent housing, not likely in NYC, but elsewhere.

Instead the guy made an obvious but bad choice of moving in with the son who proceeded to treat his dad's money as a personal piggy bank. Elder abuse takes all forms and sadly one's own children are often top of that list.

This is why always say and tell people they need to carefully do their homework when taking a RS apartment buyout offer. Whatever pot of money is given once gone, you cannot un-ring that bell. You've given up the apartment and can't go back.

Other thing is he handled his career badly IMHO. Wouldn't put it past some subtle racism that got him booted from CCRB and he should have fought/pushed back harder.

Truth of matter is public/media relations is not nor has ever truly been a secure career gig. You have to know how to work the system and connections.

Just look at Paul Fleuranges who went from a jobbing reporter at CBS to series of nice gigs with MTA.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/paul-fleuranges-359b6819

Old 05-06-2018, 09:17 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
Didnt this guy have any savings, pension, or mutual fund?

It says he was getting some kind of money, but his child used it all up. That is terrible. Kids should take care of their parents.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:59 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,089,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Didnt this guy have any savings, pension, or mutual fund?

It says he was getting some kind of money, but his child used it all up. That is terrible. Kids should take care of their parents.
He's getting $2100 a month in Social Security. Once you get a SS benefit it doesn't stop. Is he giving the money to the shelter?

Old 05-07-2018, 05:52 AM

*Update*

Former political aide living in shelter wants to help de Blasio fix city

Old 05-07-2018, 06:44 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
The article says: Several other readers suggested he move somewhere cheaper like Albany or Iowa.

Jackson welcomed the ideas but is hoping for a permanent setup somewhere in the city.

"I'm a New Yorker plain and simple," he said. "It would be really difficult for me to pull myself out of here."

So, let's get this straight. He'd rather live tired and fearfully in a taxpayer-funded horrible shelter where all people do is fight all the time, just because it's NYC, rather than move somewhere he can afford?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City