Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 11:07 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,303,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Thats because the under pay the delivery people and Americans know what the legal wage is and won't work for $4 an hour.
I agree with pierrepont, if businesses couldn't hire the illegals it would make them have to pay a living wage and then americans would be working the job.
In the old neighborhood I used to live in, the delivery guys were all Americans... Young teenage or college guys looking to earn extra money. Nothing wrong with that. These jobs were never high paying to begin with, but Americans used to work them. Now suddenly they can't, which is why we have no jobs for our youth to work... I've been working since I was a teenager. If we stopped having these jobs that were for teens be used for grown-ups trying to raise their families, we'd be in a lot better shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 11:19 AM

912 posts, read 1,132,991 times
It funny how conservatives are always so quick to demonize undocumented workers. The reason half of you can even afford to buy fresh fruit and vegetables is because undocumented workers are the one picking the fruit. It’s also funny that I never see the same amount of vitriol and hatred directed at the American companies that hire undocumented immigrants.

Where are the chants for bankruptcy inducing fines for the business breaking the law? That would go a lot farther to curbing illegal immigration than a silly wall would. There’s no denying that the immigration system in this country is broken and needs reform, but the hatred conservatives have for undocumented immigrants borders on abhorrent and is definitely hypocritical (I doubt any of you boycott all the cheap products made possible by undocumented workers.) And the Glee you derive from seeing these people suffer is nauseating.

Undocumented immigrants come here because there is demand for their labor, maybe you guys should look at yourselves in the mirror first and realize your consumption fuels their demand for being here. Rather than demonizing, strap on your grown up pants and push for solutions that would limit their employement opportunities, like the aforementioned bankruptcy inducing fines for businesses. Just be prepared to swallow the bitter pill of increased prices.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
It funny how conservatives are always so quick to demonize undocumented workers. The reason half of you can even afford to buy fresh fruit and vegetables is because undocumented workers are the one picking the fruit. It’s also funny that I never see the same amount of vitriol and hatred directed at the American companies that hire undocumented immigrants.

Where are the chants for bankruptcy inducing fines for the business breaking the law? That would go a lot farther to curbing illegal immigration than a silly wall would. There’s no denying that the immigration system in this country is broken and needs reform, but the hatred conservatives have for undocumented immigrants borders on abhorrent and is definitely hypocritical (I doubt any of you boycott all the cheap products made possible my undocumented workers.) And the Glee you derive from seeing these people suffer is nauseating.

Undocumented immigrants come here because there is demand for their labor, maybe you guys should look at yourselves in the mirror first and realize your consumption fuels their demand for being here. Rather than demonizing, strap on your grown up pants and push for solutions that would limit their employement opportunities, like the aforementioned bankruptcy inducing fines for businesses. Just be prepared to swallow the bitter pill of increased prices.
I'm a protectionist through and through and I'm very careful about what businesses I give my money to. I believe in fair wages for workers and I believe in supporting businesses that pay their workers fair wages, which means I don't support places like mathjak107 mentioned. Of course that means take out costs more, but that's fine. Quite franky I cook at home most of the time anyway (regular trips to Whole Foods for organic produce and the like) or just go and pick up my take-out myself. Americans have become so lazy which is real problem and they have no problem exploiting others. Same deal with cheap clothing and other items. I'd rather pay more for American made.

I also fully support tariffs against companies shipping our jobs overseas for higher profits. It isn't conservatives that are the problem. It's the media that is very happy to see companies exploit others. Anytime we talk about tariffs, some economist talks about how "horrible" it is for America because we're so global now. GTFOH with that.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 06-07-2018 at 11:31 AM..

Old 06-07-2018, 11:34 AM

1,183 posts, read 709,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
When I order Japanese food, the delivery guy is a Japanese American that's here legally... Of course this establishment is a family business and pays their employees decent wages unlike a lot of the Chinese places.
That may be true, but its unlikely. Virtually all Japanese citizens here are highly qualified professional workers or their non-working family. Did you check his greencard or something? There is no real course for a Japanese person to come here and work unless they are qualifying under H1B or international intra-company temporary position. There is the diversity visa lottery - but that only supplies about 400 Japanese people each year.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:37 AM

912 posts, read 1,132,991 times
Quote:
I'm a protectionist through and through and I'm very careful about what businesses I give my money to. I believe in fair wages for workers and I believe in supporting businesses that pay their workers fair wages, which means I don't support places like mathjak107 mentioned. Of course that means take out costs more, but that's fine. Quite franky I cook at home most of the time anyway (regular trips to Whole Foods for organic produce and the like) or just go and pick up my take-out myself. Americans have become so lazy which is real problem and they have no problem exploiting others. Same deal with cheap clothing and other items. I'd rather pay more for American made.

I also fully support tariffs against companies shipping our jobs overseas for higher profits. It isn't conservatives that are the problem. It's the media that is very happy to see companies exploit others. Anytime we talk about tariffs, some economist talks about how "horrible' it is for America because we're so global now. GTOH with that.
Except how selective are you really? Have you completely cut out all fruits and veggies that come from Within the USA? Because at least 30% of labor associates with American produce is undocumented. In some states, that figure is as high as 75%. The fact that you admit to shopping at Whole Foods shows your hypocrisy on the matter. Something as simple as orange from Whole Foods probably involves an undocumented immigrant in Florida. The only way to truly ensure you aren’t contributing to undocumented immigration is to get all your produce directly from a small farm in NY state that you have throughly vetted for undocumented workers. Not only would that be incredibly difficult, It would also mean giving up any produce not grown in NY state

Old 06-07-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
That may be true, but its unlikely. Virtually all Japanese citizens here are highly qualified professional workers or their non-working family. Did you check his greencard or something? There is no real course for a Japanese person to come here and work unless they are qualifying under H1B or international intra-company temporary position. There is the diversity visa lottery - but that only supplies about 400 Japanese people each year.
It's a family run business, not some hole in the wall and the guy has been delivering now for years, but I usually pick-up my orders directly from the restaurant and just walk to my apartment. They're very proud Asian Americans. I agree that they're aren't a lot of places like this, but they do exist. As I said the prices are higher and I don't order from many places for this reason.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:09 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:

I also fully support tariffs against companies shipping our jobs overseas for higher profits. It isn't conservatives that are the problem. It's the media that is very happy to see companies exploit others. Anytime we talk about tariffs, some economist talks about how "horrible" it is for America because we're so global now. GTFOH with that.
Schumer is supporting Trump on negotiations with China re: Trade and has said he hopes Trump is successful.

I have no problem with trade and people moving from country to country. But China has much weaker labor laws and environmental protections than the US. Plus they manipulate their currencies to be well below the US dollar and other major countries. So definitely companies outsourcing to Chinese companies is horribly unfair competition to American workers, and yes we do indeed tariffs to counter that.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:10 PM

769 posts, read 1,015,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
Pick your poison
Quote:
In the old neighborhood I used to live in, the delivery guys were all Americans... Young teenage or college guys looking to earn extra money. Nothing wrong with that. These jobs were never high paying to begin with, but Americans used to work them. Now suddenly they can't, which is why we have no jobs for our youth to work... I've been working since I was a teenager. If we stopped having these jobs that were for teens be used for grown-ups trying to raise their families, we'd be in a lot better shape.
As a teenager, starting at age 14 I worked in numerous restaurants as a dishwasher, prep cook and line cook. I also worked in a car wash and started my own detail in business from the clientele I met there. All this before I left for college at 18.

Most of the jobs were minimim wage, as they were designed to be.

Now in America you can't work in a kitchen or car wash unless you speak fluent Spanish. Teenagers and millennials think they are entitled to free money and services because these jobs aren't there for them anymore.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:12 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Except how selective are you really? Have you completely cut out all fruits and veggies that come from Within the USA? Because at least 30% of labor associates with American produce is undocumented. In some states, that figure is as high as 75%. The fact that you admit to shopping at Whole Foods shows your hypocrisy on the matter. Something as simple as orange from Whole Foods probably involves an undocumented immigrant in Florida. The only way to truly ensure you aren’t contributing to undocumented immigration is to get all your produce directly from a small farm in NY state that you have throughly vetted for undocumented workers. Not only would that be incredibly difficult, It would also mean giving up any produce not grown in NY state
Good points. The thing is for the buy local crowd not much is grown in NYS due to climate. Lots of food or food products we consume come from warm weather if not tropical places. Bananas, citrus, sugar, coffee, chocolate, and a whole host of other products. NY isn't a rice growing place either.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I only buy organic fruit never conventional and try to support small farms as much as possible. The smaller they are, the more likely they are to be family run and owned and run the farm themselves. There's no hypocrisy because shopping at Whole Foods means nothing. It all depends on what you're buying and which brands you're buying. I do a lot of research on the brands that I purchase from. Very much into eco friendly companies that support fair wages and hire legal workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City