Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 12:25 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,316,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Good points. The thing is for the buy local crowd not much is grown in NYS due to climate. Lots of food or food products we consume come from warm weather if not tropical places. Bananas, citrus, sugar, coffee, chocolate, and a whole host of other products. NY isn't a rice growing place either.
Nothing wrong with that. However, there are plenty of small local farms upstate that I buy organic tomatoes from. I also get a lot of organic items from California. Things like organic farro and such I get from places like Italy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 12:34 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
Not only did he sneak into the country and bypass customs enforcement, but he had the nerve to apply for a green card. When INS ran the background check on him in 2010, found out he was an illegal alien and notified him to turn himself in for deportation, he simply disregarded their summons, and hid out for another eight years.

To the people taking the side of the criminal in this case, you are either a millennial who has been brainwashed by a communist college professor, or you just don't have the IQ to think things through with a rational thought process.
And the kids are 2 & 3 years old. He had these kids long after he found out he was living here on borrowed time.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:50 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,689,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
It funny how conservatives are always so quick to demonize undocumented workers. The reason half of you can even afford to buy fresh fruit and vegetables is because undocumented workers are the one picking the fruit. It’s also funny that I never see the same amount of vitriol and hatred directed at the American companies that hire undocumented immigrants.
You're assuming that we wouldn't be happier spending a little more to buy from companies who employ legal workers and who pay a living wage. I know I would be PERFECTLY fine with that. I DO have a problem with companies hiring illegal aliens.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:52 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,502,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
Yeah...I don't know. This is cruel, and doesn't sit well with me. The guy was out delivering pizzas to earn a living for his family...it's inhuman to not feel some kind of compassion towards his situation.
Agreed. And who did the military people think makes pizzas these days? The days of fat Italian guys doing it are pretty much over

Old 06-07-2018, 01:08 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,591,402 times
I have some sympathy for illegals like him, but I have much more sympathy for the Americans who don't get the jobs because of them. Jobs like that used to be available for young people as entry jobs into the workforce, or part time work for college students etc.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:13 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,005,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Agreed. And who did the military people think makes pizzas these days? The days of fat Italian guys doing it are pretty much over
What makes you think the military care? If you do not have the proper ID, DO NOT DELIVER to or GO to a MILITARY or OTHER FEDERAL GOVERNMENT base.

Duh!

Old 06-07-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
As a teenager, starting at age 14 I worked in numerous restaurants as a dishwasher, prep cook and line cook. I also worked in a car wash and started my own detail in business from the clientele I met there. All this before I left for college at 18.

Most of the jobs were minimim wage, as they were designed to be.

Now in America you can't work in a kitchen or car wash unless you speak fluent Spanish. Teenagers and millennials think they are entitled to free money and services because these jobs aren't there for them anymore.
You're lying about that last point. It"s more so that white American kids think they're above doing that

Old 06-07-2018, 01:16 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,005,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
You're assuming that we wouldn't be happier spending a little more to buy from companies who employ legal workers and who pay a living wage. I know I would be PERFECTLY fine with that. I DO have a problem with companies hiring illegal aliens.
Nothing wrong with that, and I hope you do support the appropriate businesses if that is your belief.

With that said, it's hard because we have no way of knowing what food suppliers (not just farmers but the processors and distributors are doing). For that matter a restaurant with all legal FOH staff can in the back have illegals in the kitchen and in the dishroom.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
What makes you think the military care? If you do not have the proper ID, DO NOT DELIVER to or GO to a MILITARY or OTHER FEDERAL GOVERNMENT base.

Duh!
It sounds to me like they set him up

They should have just told him that he can't enter without valid ID. If he was a Russian illegal immigrant, I doubt this would have happened

Old 06-07-2018, 01:21 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,316,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Yep. I just took a long lunch and went to Whole Foods. I bought some wonderful organic blueberries from California from Homegrown Organic Farms for $5.99.

https://www.hgofarms.com/

I've bought from them over the years, so I'm quite familiar with them as a company.

A mix of Americans running the farms...

https://www.hgofarms.com/our-growers/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City