Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 01:11 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times

Advertisements

LeBron peace'd out on Ohio. Now he is a transplant in LA. I thought maybe he'd be a transplant in NYC, I was hoping, but he was scared of failing to bring NYC back to being the Mecca of basketball again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 01:12 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
LeBron peace'd out on Ohio. Now he is a transplant in LA. I thought maybe he'd be a transplant in NYC, I was hoping, but he was scared of failing to bring NYC back to being the Mecca of basketball again.
It is so odd to me. Now the youth of NYC will go back to bandwagoning the Lakers like they did in the 2000s when Kobe was the man

Old 07-07-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
It is so odd to me. Now the youth of NYC will go back to bandwagoning the Lakers like they did in the 2000s when Kobe was the man
He would've been not only the man of NYC, but could have been credited for bringing basketball back to NYC the way it used to be. Now you see these courts not even half full these days. Back in the day you had to wait hours to get next. Basketball used to be a big part of NYC culture. Now it's a surburban sport.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:22 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
I agree with everything you're saying. By "poor" I just mean that it's less prosperous than NY and not a wealthy state sending a bunch of wealthy white kids to gentrify minority neighborhoods in NYC. Nothing about my post was backhanded, the whole point was that Ohio is not a bad state and that New Yorkers who don't travel at all shouldn't look down on it.

And anti-gentrification activists and geezer communists use Ohio as a punching bag in the way that you're referring to, that's what I meant.
I mean I'm sure NYC has received plenty of trust fund types from the Midwest. I see it a lot here in Chicago, and I have friends living that life. When I moved to Chicago, I didn't have a trust fund but I did have parents paying for college, so I'd probably still fit that bill.

As for anti-gentrification, that's interesting. We don't have a focus on a specific state like that here. In terms of places, maybe the suburbs, but not a state. Not certain why, although at times it does feel like every Big 10 grad in the last decade has moved to Chicago. So many university branded sports bars. So. Very. Many.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:31 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Nothing wrong with being from Ohio, Florida, West Coast, 4 corners states etc either. Every state has some culture and things that are unique. Met a lot of people from Ohio at one of my jobs. Some fine people.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:32 PM

330 posts, read 249,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I mean I'm sure NYC has received plenty of trust fund types from the Midwest. I see it a lot here in Chicago, and I have friends living that life.
Chicago is the Midwest.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
He would've been not only the man of NYC, but could have been credited for bringing basketball back to NYC the way it used to be. Now you see these courts not even half full these days. Back in the day you had to wait hours to get next. Basketball used to be a big part of NYC culture. Now it's a surburban sport.
I always see kids playing basketball at Springfield Park, even when the weather isn't that nice.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I mean I'm sure NYC has received plenty of trust fund types from the Midwest. I see it a lot here in Chicago, and I have friends living that life. When I moved to Chicago, I didn't have a trust fund but I did have parents paying for college, so I'd probably still fit that bill.

As for anti-gentrification, that's interesting. We don't have a focus on a specific state like that here. In terms of places, maybe the suburbs, but not a state. Not certain why, although at times it does feel like every Big 10 grad in the last decade has moved to Chicago. So many university branded sports bars. So. Very. Many.
Well yeah, but there are plenty of trust fund types who have lived in NYC their whole lives. NYC has many neighborhoods that were filled with wealthy people even in the 90s.

Basically, the anti-gentrifcation activists have this idea that white people from the Midwest (especially Ohio) are coming to NYC in droves and ruining it.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:48 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
Chicago is the Midwest.
You don't say?

I was implying people from the Midwest, who aren't from Chicagoland, coming to Chicago.

Quote:
Well yeah, but there are plenty of trust fund types who have lived in NYC their whole lives. NYC has many neighborhoods that were filled with wealthy people even in the 90s.

Basically, the anti-gentrifcation activists have this idea that white people from the Midwest (especially Ohio) are coming to NYC in droves and ruining it.
How odd.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I always see kids playing basketball at Springfield Park, even when the weather isn't that nice.
Maybe its just the time of day, and these days during after school hours I'm usually at work still. My local court as a kid was Hoffman Park in Elmhurst, and it saddens me when driving by seeing the courts sit empty. Used to have some good games there back in the '90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City