Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 02:20 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Dude, you will see lots of young white kids buying pizza for a dollar or cheap ethnic food for ten dollars or less. Spend day 30 dollars on drinks in a dive bar. Most taking the subway or if they live close by way. It yeah, let’s give up to 20 for a cab.

That’s 60 dollars and a person not making much money can do that every Friday. Of course some do it every Friday and Saturday. That’s just 120 dollars.

We talking about young people, not people who want to eat at Whoke Goods all the tine. Your average young white partier does not have that much money.
That's $480 a month, not exactly cheap IMO, especially with student loans, etc... When I was younger I'd do that stuff, and I was paying my own rent, not shacking up with 5 other roommates. I have no idea how they can afford that AND eat regular food, not unless they don't eat. lol For me I would easily spend $800 a month in food between doing that and going to Whole Foods. Even now I spend $600 - 700 a month and that's with me cooking most of my meals at home. I'm excluding any Japanese take-out or any of that stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 02:27 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
You use your credit cards for taxis. I did that as a grad student. Got wasted every weekend and if I was far from home I took a taxi.

It does not cost a lot of money........

You can go out every weekend on a basic office job or on a restaurant job. I know plenty of whites people who do.
Yes, and there are also plenty who do not go out and get wasted every weekend and take a cab with credit card to go home. There are simply a lot of people in this city.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:16 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
That's $480 a month, not exactly cheap IMO, especially with student loans, etc... When I was younger I'd do that stuff, and I was paying my own rent, not shacking up with 5 other roommates. I have no idea how they can afford that AND eat regular food, not unless they don't eat. lol For me I would easily spend $800 a month in food between doing that and going to Whole Foods. Even now I spend $600 - 700 a month and that's with me cooking most of my meals at home. I'm excluding any Japanese take-out or any of that stuff.
Dude 480 a month is nothing. Don’t tell me you’re living in poverty. These kids find a room for 700 or so a month. Anyone working a basic office job or a restaurant job can do this. Even with student loans. We’re speaking of people in their early 20s in a big city and they won’t have the same set of priorities as older people do. Especially if you’re in a NYC.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Dude 480 a month is nothing. Don’t tell me you’re living in poverty. These kids find a room for 700 or so a month. Anyone working a basic office job or a restaurant job can do this. Even with student loans. We’re speaking of people in their early 20s in a big city and they won’t have the same set of priorities as older people do. Especially if you’re in a NYC.
When did I say I was living in poverty? I'm just trying to understand how it's done off of a low salary. You've explained that they rent rooms. If that's the case, then yes, it's doable assuming their other expenses aren't much.

I already explained that I did that in my 20s, but I wasn't renting a room. I was living ALONE paying rent. Renting a room is cheap versus paying real rent.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:36 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
https://nypost.com/2018/07/08/san-fr...-yorks-future/

I have absolutely ZERO doubt this is where we're headed with DeBozo in charge
Are you aware that the Post is a rather biased, right-leaning tabloid?

Then again, anyone using the insult "DeBozo" is probably awfully biased to begin with, and not to be taken seriously.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:37 PM

766 posts, read 507,902 times
Quote:
You use your credit cards for taxis. I did that as a grad student. Got wasted every weekend and if I was far from home I took a taxi.

It does not cost a lot of money........

You can go out every weekend on a basic office job or on a restaurant job. I know plenty of whites people who do.
Then they aren’t broke

You don’t see poor minorities taking up credit card debt on something trivial as beers and taxis

They may not have much in their bank account, but I know they have more assets and support at home if everything goes not as planned for them.

Most of the poor in the city have absolutely nothing to their name, no family members well off or someone with life insurance and a will in their life

There is a reason you barely see young white transplants in a shelter

Old 07-10-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
Then they aren’t broke

You don’t see poor minorities taking up credit card debt on something trivial as beers and taxis

They may not have much in their bank account, but I know they have more assets and support at home if everything goes not as planned for them.

Most of the poor in the city have absolutely nothing to their name, no family members well off or someone with life insurance and a will in their life
Agreed... Someone living in a ROOM is going to spending money on cabs and beers raking up credit card debt? lol Seems like their priorities aren't in order.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:59 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
SF and the Bay Area did a lot of crazy things with its land use and tax policies and that's been true for several decades even back when there were sizable parts of the Bay Area (and even SF itself) that were not that liberal. Not only is San Francisco not building all that much housing--the entire Bay Area is not building much housing.

They also made a horrendous miscalculation with their transit system where they decided to build a rapid transit system (good) when they realized that the physical land constraints, and at a certain point, historical preservation in parts of San Francisco proper, meant they needed to make its large downtown employment center more accessible to people coming in via something other than driving. What they did was choose to go with an idiosyncratic broad gauge for their rapid transit BART system which meant that the system could not easily take over/re-use existing standard gauge tracks, bridges and right-of-ways in the area, could not be compatible with the future Caltrain system which serves Silicon Valley and South Bay, and could not do joint orders with other agencies without a significant retooling for their gauge. Also, they put goddamn CARPETING on a rapid transit system. WHO THE **** WAS RUNNING THIS ****?
Interesting I was under the impression that they were but you aren’t the first person to speak on SF and their poor ability to build

Old 07-10-2018, 04:11 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Interesting I was under the impression that they were but you aren’t the first person to speak on SF and their poor ability to build
Those examples for SF and the Bay Area regarding land use policy and property taxes and its choice of rail gauge are good examples of seemingly innocuous or even positively viewed decisions made in the past leading to some really bad unintended consequences.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:58 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post

There is a reason you barely see young white transplants in a shelter

I see a lot of them homeless on the streets.

MAGA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City