Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 11:37 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The West Bronx is different from the Northwest Bronx, just as the Northeast Bronx and the East Bronx aren't the same. Riverdale is int he Northwest Bronx, not West Bronx.

East Bronx = areas like Morris Park, Pelham Parkway, etc.

Northeast Bronx = areas like Wakefield and Williamsbridge

Northwest Bronx = areas like Riverdale, Woodlawn, etc.

Everything east of the Bronx River was in Westchester County prior to 1895.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 11:44 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Everything east of the Bronx River was in Westchester County prior to 1895.
While that is true, your boundaries as of today are wayyy off. I'm just telling you what the different areas are. I know you only tend to move around in Parkchester, but there's a whole big Bronx out there besides that neighborhood. Just saying. I do hope you get out and travel for crying out loud. I can't stand it when people cling to one little neighborhood.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
While that is true, your boundaries as of today are wayyy off. I'm just telling you what the different areas are. I know you only tend to move around in Parkchester, but there's a whole big Bronx out there besides that neighborhood. Just saying. I do hope you get out and travel for crying out loud. I can't stand it when people cling to one little neighborhood.
I don't live in Parkchester (just own a rental condo there), and I do travel all over the world (though, in terms of NYC, it is true that I only travel to Manhattan below the 100th St, or rarely to Parkchester in the Bronx to check on my condo). Given a month of free time to, say, go explore more of Hong Kong vs. explore the largely residential Bronx, I somehow always end up in places like Hong Kong, sorry :-).

To try to stay on the topic of the thread, I was told by a 7th generation New Yorker that the geo-demographic division of east/west of the Bronx river is the reason why the East Bronx will probably "gentrify" before the South-West Bronx, even though the South-West Bronx is closer to Manhattan. Of course, there are demographic pockets/micro-neighborhoods of various types of people everywhere, but the rough division of east/west does exist in the Bronx.

Last edited by elnrgby; 08-09-2018 at 12:07 PM..

Old 08-09-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I don't live in Parkchester (just own a rental condo there), and I do travel all over the world (though, in terms of NYC, it is true that I only travel to Manhattan below the 100th St, or rarely to Parkchester in the Bronx to check on my condo). Given a month of free time to, say, go explore more of Hong Kong vs. explore the largely residential Bronx, I somehow always end up in places like Hong Kong, sorry :-).
I just find it very odd that you talk endlessly about Parkchester, but you spend absolutely no time there or anywhere else in the Bronx. Don't you see the irony in that? And you wonder why the place isn't as popular as you would like it to be...

Old 08-09-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I just find it very odd that you talk endlessly about Parkchester, but you spend absolutely no time there or anywhere else in the Bronx. Don't you see the irony in that? And you wonder why the place isn't as popular as you would like it to be...
Pls see also the second paragraph I added to previous post. Btw, I talked about Parkchester because I considered to retire there, and I considered to retire there ONLY because it is convenient to Manhattan but much cheaper than Manhattan. Parkchester (minus the crime, which finally dissuaded me from the idea of retiring there) would be a fabulous residential community, the best one I can imagine - because of Manhattan architecture near Manhattan, not because of anything else. The Bronx otherwise does not interest me. What is ironic or even unusual about that??

Old 08-09-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
To try to stay on the topic of the thread, I was told by a 7th generation New Yorker that the geo-demographic division of east/west of the Bronx river is the reason why the East Bronx will probably "gentrify" before the South-West Bronx, even though the South-West Bronx is closer to Manhattan. Of course, there are demographic pockets/micro-neighborhoods of various types of people everywhere, but the rough division of east/west does exist in the Bronx.
Most of the East Bronx is solidly middle class, so there is nothing to gentrify. Clearly that 7th generation New Yorker doesn't know what they're talking about.

Quote:
Pls see also the second paragraph I added to previous post. Btw, I talked about Parkchester because I considered to retire there, and I considered to retire there ONLY because it is convenient to Manhattan but much cheaper than Manhattan. Parkchester (minus the crime, which finally dissuaded me from the idea of retiring there) would be a fabulous residential community, the best one I can imagine - because of Manhattan architecture near Manhattan, not because of anything else. The Bronx otherwise does not interest me. What is ironic or even unusual about that??
So you would just rest your head there and play in Manhattan... I wonder if I've ever run into when I've taken the BxM6 there years ago. Reminds me of a little white lady that would often sit in front of me in the way to Manhattan. I just vision you being like her. lol

Anywho, I would want to be part of an area I was living in to some capacity. There are days when I don't go to Manhattan and stay within my community. Visit our wonderful parks or cafés and such.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Most of the East Bronx is solidly middle class, so there is nothing to gentrify. Clearly that 7th generation New Yorker doesn't know what they're talking about.

So you would just rest your head there and play in Manhattan... I wonder if I've ever run into when I've taken the BxM6 there years ago. Reminds me of a little white lady that would often sit in front of me in the way to Manhattan. I just vision you being like her. lol

Anywho, I would want to be part of an area I was living in to some capacity. There are days when I don't go to Manhattan and stay within my community. Visit our wonderful parks or cafés and such.
Yes, I would like rest my head in a good residential community, and go to Manhattan every day. I would like to be a part of a self-contained good residential community near Manhattan. Parkchester is the size of a middle-sized town, it IS a community. It would be perfect if the crime would go to zero - a realistic goal according to the NYPD chief detective Dermot Shea (but still far from that goal, and I do not think that the goal will be achieved in the next 8-12 years, my timeframe for full retirement). I'm not that little lady, as I have taken that bus only once (my very first trip from Manhattan to Parkchester), I normally take the subway train 6. If I ever moved to the Bronx, I would naturally visit more than Parkchester, but otherwise I only want to take a closer look at the Zoo (I was there once in 1983, but it was a limited visit (free entry for 2 hours prior to the closing time - this was during my deep poverty days, and I couldn't afford ticket for the zoo :-), and I remember the nearby charred buildings more vividly than the animals).

Old 08-09-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, I would like rest my head in a good residential community, and go to Manhattan every day. I would like to be a part of a self-contained good residential community near Manhattan. Parkchester is the size of a middle-sized town, it IS a community. It would be perfect if the crime would go to zero - a realistic goal according to the NYPD chief detective Dermot Shea (but still far from that goal, and I do not think that the goal will be achieved in the next 8-12 years, my timeframe for full retirement). I'm not that little lady, as I have taken that bus only once (my very first trip from Manhattan to Parkchester), I normally take the subway train 6. If I ever moved to the Bronx, I would naturally visit more than Parkchester, but otherwise I only want to take a closer look at the Zoo (I was there once in 1983, but it was a limited visit (free entry for 2 hours prior to the closing time - this was during my deep poverty days, and I couldn't afford ticket for the zoo :-), and I remember the nearby charred buildings more vividly than the animals).
1983??? Good Lord. That's over 30 years ago!!

Old 08-09-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
1983??? Good Lord. That's over 30 years ago!!

What's wrong with having been to the Bronx Zoo in 1983, or more than 30 years ago?? The zoo already existed, was already very big, and I was 23 in 1983 :-). To be more precise, I should say I actually visited the Bronx Zoo in the first or second week of January 1984 (that particular visit to NYC started in 1983 but ended in 1984 I guess).

Old 08-09-2018, 01:29 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:

The West Bronx will definitely gentrify before the East Bronx in my opinion, the housing stock is way more hipster approved

And especially West of Webster Ave, where most of the original buildings are still around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City