Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 12:04 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,492,443 times

Advertisements

Aside from the fact most transplants aren't actually from Ohio

Ohio is a poor state compared to New York, Ohio's hoods are way more dangerous than New York's, and Ohio is not completely devoid of culture. Bone Thugs n Harmony are from there, as well as the 2nd greatest basketball player of all time. Cincinatti and Cleveland seem like cool cities, and you don't have to sell a kidney to afford the rents there. So I think the whole anti-Ohio sentiment many New Yorkers have is silly.

If anything, Native New Yorkers from the wealthier parts of NYC as well as the suburbs are the biggest contributors to gentrification. Followed by transplants from the "cool" states like Massachusetts and California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 12:06 PM

One thing I notice is that some New Yorkers who barely leave their neighborhood or NYC talk down on places they've never been to. How can people who don't travel be so sure that the resf of the country sucks?

Old 07-07-2018, 12:33 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,686,884 times
Agreed! I bet there are a lot of way cool places in the U.S. outside NYC. Philly for example is my favorite city in the entire country.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Agreed! I bet there are a lot of way cool places in the U.S. outside NYC. Philly for example is my favorite city in the entire country.
Philly is dope. I've been there 5 times and I love it. I love New Orleans and I like DC too. These places are just as "cultured" as NYC is.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:50 PM

1,063 posts, read 697,504 times
NYC isn't the center of the world.

But there are too many damn Midwesterners here. And they don't know how to walk down the street.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
NYC isn't the center of the world.

But there are too many damn Midwesterners here. And they don't know how to walk down the street.
The only places that would be an issue are the touristy parts of Manhattan. That shouldn't apply to you because I thoughr you only liked outskirt neighborhoods.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:55 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,686,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Philly is dope. I've been there 5 times and I love it. I love New Orleans and I like DC too. These places are just as "cultured" as NYC is.
Yup! In 2018, NYC is not the only place with culture anymore. Almost everything you get here you can get anywhere else. I am a die hard NY native and I want to live in NY forever, but I've lived in other places around the world and have been happy there too.

I've lived on Long Island for college, and I've lived in like 6 towns in Italy. You can enjoy a nice life anywhere and in many respects life in NYC sucks. It's home for me though.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:00 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,194,877 times
New Yorkers don't like Ohio?

To be honest, your thoughts on Ohio come across as rather backhanded in some ways, OP. Poor Ohio is not. Is it as fabulously wealthy as NYC? No, but then again nearly no other place is. It has the 7th largest state GDP in the country, which lines up with the fact that it's also the 7th most populous state.

And of course Ohio is not devoid of culture. Both Cleveland and Cincinnati are legacy cities with all the cultural institutions that that entails. This also doesn't take into account museums you'll find in the state's smaller cities. Also on the educational side, the state is home Case Western, Ohio State, Kenyon, Oberlin, etc.

My guess is that Ohio is probably a punching bag since it lacks a single superstar city and it has probably become code for alleged bland middle America. The reality is that Columbus is booming, Cincinnati (both city and metro) is growing again, and Cleveland appears to finally have found its footing and is rounding the corner.

Ohio probably doesn't send nearly as many people NYC's way as its residents assume. According to this, California sends the most people to New York. In the Midwest, Chicago is sending the most. Neither Ohio or its cities popped up.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
New Yorkers don't like Ohio?

To be honest, your thoughts on Ohio come across as rather backhanded in some ways, OP. Poor Ohio is not. Is it as fabulously wealthy as NYC? No, but then again nearly no other place is. It has the 7th largest state GDP in the country, which lines up with the fact that it's also the 7th most populous state.

And of course Ohio is not devoid of culture. Both Cleveland and Cincinnati are legacy cities with all the cultural institutions that that entails. This also doesn't take into account museums you'll find in the state's smaller cities. Also on the educational side, the state is home Case Western, Ohio State, Kenyon, Oberlin, etc.

My guess is that Ohio is probably a punching bag since it lacks a single superstar city and it has probably become code for alleged bland middle America. The reality is that Columbus is booming, Cincinnati (both city and metro) is growing again, and Cleveland appears to finally have found its footing and is rounding the corner.

Ohio probably doesn't send nearly as many people NYC's way as its residents assume. According to this, California sends the most people to New York. In the Midwest, Chicago is sending the most. Neither Ohio or its cities popped up.
I agree with everything you're saying. By "poor" I just mean that it's less prosperous than NY and not a wealthy state sending a bunch of wealthy white kids to gentrify minority neighborhoods in NYC. Nothing about my post was backhanded, the whole point was that Ohio is not a bad state and that New Yorkers who don't travel at all shouldn't look down on it.

And anti-gentrification activists and geezer communists use Ohio as a punching bag in the way that you're referring to, that's what I meant.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Yup! In 2018, NYC is not the only place with culture anymore. Almost everything you get here you can get anywhere else. I am a die hard NY native and I want to live in NY forever, but I've lived in other places around the world and have been happy there too.

I've lived on Long Island for college, and I've lived in like 6 towns in Italy. You can enjoy a nice life anywhere and in many respects life in NYC sucks. It's home for me though.
Yep! There are other places in the country that are just as diverse as NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City