Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 03:36 PM

31,947 posts, read 27,074,534 times

Advertisements

Again people, don't buzz anyone into your building you don't know.

This should be common sense, but obviously many people just didn't get the memo.

https://pix11.com/2018/08/01/serial-...ent-buildings/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 03:51 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,316,244 times
People could also just have their packages delivered to their office or to a delivery place. I use Manhattan Storage for items that I don't want sent to my office, but everything else, I send it to my office. I got items from Vita Cost. Some of it I'll take home, and the rest I'll leave my office until I want to carry it home. Best way to do it. There's also Boxed, which is great for large items. I ordered a few things as a test. You can select the time window that you'll be available for the delivery. Fantastic.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:55 PM

31,947 posts, read 27,074,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
People could also just have their packages delivered to their office or to a delivery place. I use Manhattan Storage for items that I don't want sent to my office, but everything else, I send it to my office. I got items from Vita Cost. Some of it I'll take home, and the rest I'll leave my office until I want to carry it home. Best way to do it. There's also Boxed, which is great for large items. I ordered a few things as a test. You can select the time window that you'll be available for the delivery. Fantastic.
Some offices frown on that kind of thing; not every place has unlimited mail room/storage space. Nor these days a dedicated mailroom person/staff either.

This and an employee is now making their employer liable for their stuff. If a package goes missing from mailroom, reception area or even in an office, near or under a desk you have the same situation.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:07 PM

1,486 posts, read 992,473 times
When I was in the PJs I would come home to packages in front of my door all the time that I ordered and its mostly the shippers fault because they put "leave if no response" on the package. Sometimes my neighbor would sign for me and hold it till I got home and I would do the same for her but then I just started having my stuff shipped to my office sine we have a dedicated mailroom and when it comes in I see exactly who signed for my package. Luckily I never had anything stolen.

If its valuable it should never leave the couriers hands without an adult signature.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Some offices frown on that kind of thing; not every place has unlimited mail room/storage space. Nor these days a dedicated mailroom person/staff either.

This and an employee is now making their employer liable for their stuff. If a package goes missing from mailroom, reception area or even in an office, near or under a desk you have the same situation.
My motto is this.... Either you let me get my packages at my office OR I can take the day off, and get my package at home or pick it up from Manhattan Storage. I've never had an issue getting my packages in my office. I do understand that some places frown upon it, but give me a break. I get FedEx packages and all sorts of other things from clients regularly, and we can get food delivery here, but you can't get a personal package? So lame. To me this is something that shouldn't be a big deal. I've had cell phones from Verizon delivered, small things from Nordstrom, Saks, etc. I'm not having a TV sent there. Just a pair of pants or something relatively small. I am getting my tablet sent to my office, that I do know. Either that, or I will pick it up from Verizon.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:38 PM

555 posts, read 618,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
When I was in the PJs I would come home to packages in front of my door all the time that I ordered and its mostly the shippers fault because they put "leave if no response" on the package. Sometimes my neighbor would sign for me and hold it till I got home and I would do the same for her but then I just started having my stuff shipped to my office sine we have a dedicated mailroom and when it comes in I see exactly who signed for my package. Luckily I never had anything stolen.

If its valuable it should never leave the couriers hands without an adult signature.
can you imagine how many ,packages mailmen would have to take back with them if they all needed signature or needed to be hand delivered to resident? It's just not realistic.

Any valuable item I've purchased has had signature required, but items $250 or less generally don't, nor should they.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
can you imagine how many ,packages mailmen would have to take back with them if they all needed signature or needed to be hand delivered to resident? It's just not realistic.

Any valuable item I've purchased has had signature required, but items $250 or less generally don't, nor should they.
I sign for all of my packages, period. Whatever isn't sent to my office, is signed for by Manhattan Storage when I have my things sent and held for me there. I got a package yesterday from Vitacost. Signed for it. I have a package coming today. I'll sign for it. Ordered an iPad... I will sign for it. The package coming today is all of $30.00 for two items. That iPad is over $1100. Doesn't make a difference to me. I sign for everything.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:50 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,869,733 times
I used to get all my packages delivered at work which was super convenient until I had to bring stuff home but now fortunately my building has 24/7 front desk staff so everything gets delivered there, it's signed for and I get a notification from my building for all my packages.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:56 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,153,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post

Agreed!

I love not having to sign for packages. Whenever I see someone fedex'd me something with a required signature, it puts me in a bind. Do I have to stay home all day waiting for it? (No doorman). I usually try to sign online if that option is open.

I had a $100 item shipped by DHL international that required a signature but there was an option to go online and waive it. I gave instructions on the website that if they could enter my building they should leave outside my apartment door, otherwise, just leave in the foyer between the double sets of doors. Luckily I have never had a problem with stolen packages in this building. Hope that lasts.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
I used to get all my packages delivered at work which was super convenient until I had to bring stuff home but now fortunately my building has 24/7 front desk staff so everything gets delivered there, it's signed for and I get a notification from my building for all my packages.
My building was supposed to get a virtual doorman... One of these days... Basically big packages I have sent to my pick-up spot. Everything else I send to the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City