Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 12:30 PM

87 posts, read 101,925 times

Advertisements

What would you do if NYC turned into SF, California? I see some similarities happening already. In my honest opinion, NYC has been degrading for some time now. Lack of decent jobs, housing costs, the homeless population, drug users, welfare system, etc.
What do you think? Would you move if it turned into a ***** hole? If so, where would you go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld6qYJe4pRs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 01:09 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Okay, I couldn’t watch after the bag of oozing feces. That’s disgusting.

I’m hoping due to our much more severe winters that we won’t have homeless and drug user problems to the same extent they have. Although that article bugsypal posted with the drug addicts at 115th in east Harlem was eye opening.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:12 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
It was, before Giuliani.

But it can never become that bad. The weather is too harsh here. Most of them would die of either heatstroke or hypothermia.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:19 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krb212 View Post
What would you do if NYC turned into SF, California? I see some similarities happening already. In my honest opinion, NYC has been degrading for some time now. Lack of decent jobs, housing costs, the homeless population, drug users, welfare system, etc.
What do you think? Would you move if it turned into a ***** hole? If so, where would you go?

East Harlem, South Jamaica

Old 08-05-2018, 04:58 PM

37,120 posts, read 39,337,475 times
This was brought up in previous topics regarding this and the answer is still the same: there are some strong intrinsic differences between NYC and San Francisco which makes it difficult for this to happen.

One is that due to nimbyism and the odd property tax system in California, San Francisco and the Bay Area as a whole have had a very difficult time constructing large and dense developments while NYC and its metropolitan region is comparatively far looser and constructs far more housing. As housing is generally the singularly largest expense of a household, that makes a huge difference.

Another is that San Francisco and the Bay Area have a balkanized and generally poor transit system. While NYC and its region has that as well through the incredibly stupid lack of coordination among NJT, LIRR, and Metro-North, that is nowhere to the same scale as San Francisco and the Bay Area. We may gripe about the MTA a lot, but it still has a far better and more extensive network than anything in the Bay Area. There were also specifically poor decisions such as BART's use of a very odd broad gauge rail which meant that there are core incompatibilities with this primary backbone of its transit system with any other transit system in the area and an inability for existing rail infrastructure to be leveraged for its use. Furthermore, the aforementioned nimbyism and odd property tax system in California means that it is often not very conducive to efficiently running heavy rail rapid transit. With that, working and middle class are often pushed far to the margins in order to find barely affordable housing where time and money spent commuting becomes still another burden to carry.

Finally, San Francisco and the Bay Area has pretty great climate. NYC does not and that great climate is far more conducive to outdoor living in the streets than what NYC has. It also, at least formerly, had a reputation for a kind of live and let live easy living and there are a lot of homeless who are not originally from the area. On that last point, I'm guessing NYC is similar but not for quite the same reasons.

One other note, San Francisco isn't a total ****hole in the way it's depicted in that video. I'm not a fan of the idea of living there, which is why I don't, and the city definitely has issues, but that's nowhere near the majority or even a plurality of the city. It is, however, concentrated in downtown near where tourists and commuter 9 to 5 jobs are.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 08-05-2018 at 05:53 PM..

Old 08-05-2018, 05:17 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Is no one else seeing the similarity among these troll threads? Really?

Old 08-05-2018, 06:07 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krb212 View Post

Lack of decent jobs? So there are cities in America that have buffet of decent jobs?

Old 08-05-2018, 06:43 PM

87 posts, read 101,925 times
I've seen homeless in winters. They sleep in subway stations, subways, indoor public places, libraries, buses, and now Starbucks. I have literally seen homeless people now camp out in Starbucks and beg for money while people walk in. Now you can't walk through Times Square without hearing every sob story under the sun. I have seen crazy people walk down the streets talking to themselves, homeless cleaning clothes in children's sprinklers at playgrounds, homeless doing dips on children's playsets at the park and some so high laid out on the street they can't move. Something I haven't seen in 10 years are homeless in wheelchairs with a cup knocking in car windows begging, some homeless start cleaning windows without your consent to get some money/try to get in your car.
Listen to 25:28 where this guy who lived in Chelsea has to beg the police to take a naked homeless person in front of their residence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3BpkRa2Ubg
Most recently I was in a playground and it was me and one other parent. This mentally ill homeless person came up to us screaming and spitting then ran under a playhouse and started crying. I notified 311 who notified homeless services and then who notified the NYPD-hours later! Why? Who would pay $3k/month to live with the homeless out front? If people knew this they wouldn't' pay that.
Recently it became a crisis
https://www.businessinsider.com/new-...lutions-2018-2

From what I remembered growing up here in the city, cops would send them to the mental hospital and Ward's Island
https://www.homelessshelterdirectory...sland&state=NY
You should see the cop presence when there's an event on Wards Island! The MTA even gives tourists and party goes a special events bus to avoid fights on the m35 bus like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfWn...has_verified=1

Here's a little documentary on the homeless on wards island, I've seen the guy @ 3:30
[vimeo]97693392[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/97693392

What do you think? Is it a matter of time? Have you noticed the city deteriorating? With all the property taxes and income taxes people pay in the city, where does it go? There are potholes and homeless people everywhere.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:49 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
New York ranked dirtiest city in the country in new report

https://pix11.com/2018/02/21/new-yor...in-new-report/

Old 08-05-2018, 10:21 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,239,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
It was, before Giuliani.

But it can never become that bad. The weather is too harsh here. Most of them would die of either heatstroke or hypothermia.
Exactly. SF today is the New York of the eighties. I’ve lived in both....same thing, just milder weather in SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: