Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 08:08 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,499,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I am Sicilian. Italians and Sicilians are not the same. We are a group of very mixed people with Italians, Spanish, the Moors and so on.
Most of us know our history and when they don't I give them a lesson.
Sicilians are straight up white people as far as most are concerned. You're free to identify as you please, but society will perceive you as white
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 08:08 PM

116 posts, read 79,240 times
Quote:
I am Sicilian. Italians and Sicilians are not the same. We are a group of very mixed people with Italians, Spanish, the Moors and so on.
Most of us know our history and when they don't I give them a lesson.

I’m sicilian too, but that’s still not mixed race in 21st century America. I’m also Caucasian (from the actual Caucasus, not the racial thing), and it’s still white in America in 2018 so you can’t really speak for mixed people as an American Sicilian lol. That’s ridiculous.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:09 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,311,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franksobotka View Post
Because people who are mixed are not legally considered white usually, and people who’ are mixed have generally not socially been considered white, nor historically. Why do you guys act like everything that happens has been thrown out of the void when we live in a country that was literally founded on racially motivated chattel slavery, whose entire economic system is based on the oppression of minority races (especially African Americans), and which had codified racism into its laws until like..... oh wait, it is still law in certain parts of the country.

BdeB has his issues, but being a parent concerned by the fact that his mixed race son will probably be perceived as a black boy by the police, who have been notoriously aggressive/deadly to black boys, is not one of his faults.
We know how this country was formed. We keep talking about "society". WE ARE SOCIETY!! If WE keep perpetuating the same stupid stereotypes and going along with it, it doesn't say much about us as a society aside from us being ignorant and racist for accepting these racist set ups where we call people black even when one of their parents is white. It's like people aren't allowed to fully acknowledge who they are. Really f-ed up. Just think about where we'd be if everyone went along with what "society" said over the years.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I’m sicilian too, but that’s still not mixed race in 21st century America. I’m also Caucasian (from the actual Caucasus, not the racial thing), and it’s still white in America in 2018 so you can’t really speak for mixed people as an American Sicilian lol. That’s ridiculous.
Sure I can because I have mixed race people in my family and mixed race friends as well. One of my cousins is part Jewish and black. He's still my cousin and I don't treat him any differently. You're free to drink the Kool-Aid but not that long ago our people were being lynched in this country when we weren't labeled as white. Read your history paesano.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:12 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,499,409 times
Quote:
This.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:13 PM

Or maybe mixed people should be allowed to identify as they please. Choosing an affinity to one side doesn’t mean denial of the other. It’s like I identify more with my mom’s side of the family and their cultural heritage than my dad’s for personal reasons and because I grew up more around hers. People will have their own reasons for identifying with what they identify with, and it’s not really your business, nor is it promoting or contiuing systemic racism to do so.

We as white members of society have a responsibility to combat racism daily in our lives to aid in its deconstruction.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Sure I can because I have mixed race people in my family and mixed race friends as well. One of my cousins is part Jewish and black. He's still my cousin and I don't treat him any differently. You're free to drink the Kool-Aid but not that long ago our people were being lynched in this country when we weren't labeled as white. Read your history paesano.

You can’t speak for your cousin just because he’s related to you. Do you know what it’s like to be both black and Jewish? Do you what it’s like to be mixed race firsthand? If not, you can’t speak for mixed people.

I know my history, but the full history is that southern Italians in America have been recognized as white for many decades now, to the point that only very few people of Sicilian descent, who do not “look” white, will ever be treated as anything but white in this country. We’ve been admitted to the ranks of the privileged, and that privilege is built on a system of oppression. Especially because of our history, it’s time to roll up our sleeves as a previously oppressed and hated minority and do the work of dismantling racism.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Or maybe mixed people should be allowed to identify as they please. Choosing an affinity to one side doesn’t mean denial of the other. It’s like I identify more with my mom’s side of the family and their cultural heritage than my dad’s for personal reasons and because I grew up more around hers. People will have their own reasons for identifying with what they identify with, and it’s not really your business, nor is it promoting or contiuing systemic racism to do so.

We as white members of society have a responsibility to combat racism daily in our lives to aid in its deconstruction.
I'm glad you feel good about being able to check off "white" on the census but as I said I know my history and I have mixed race people in family. Your point is exactly mine... People should be able to choose on their own and it shouldn't matter what society thinks or says.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:18 PM

Then why are you judging people who have chosen on their own to identify more with the black side of their heritage lol

Old 08-21-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
You can’t speak for your cousin just because he’s related to you. Do you know what it’s like to be both black and Jewish? Do you what it’s like to be mixed race firsthand? If not, you can’t speak for mixed people.

I know my history, but the full history is that southern Italians in America have been recognized as white for many decades now, to the point that only very few people of Sicilian descent, who do not “look” white, will ever be treated as anything but white in this country. We’ve been admitted to the ranks of the privileged, and that privilege is built on a system of oppression. Especially because of our history, it’s time to roll up our sleeves as a previously oppressed and hated minority and do the work of dismantling racism.
I think I've earned some say to at least opine that in the 21st century people of mixed race should be able to identify as they please. We've been allowed to identify as "white" now for years yes, but you and I both know how many mixed race Italians there are out here so this idea that we've somehow passed the racial ladder is hilarious. I don't know about here, but there are plenty of mixed race Italians in Italy for sure. In any event, relating this back to the main topic, we wouldn't need these foolish integration techniques if people opened their closed minds and stopped accepting this stupid labeling one-drop rule nonsense. Incredibly backwards in the 21st century to keep accepting a racist policy that is from centuries ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City