Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 08:28 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,305,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franksobotka View Post
Then why are you judging people who have chosen on their own to identify more with the black side of their heritage lol
I'm not judging them. I'm saying that in some cases the parents are the ones that essentially tell them what they are from the beginning which is foolish. Let the kid decide. That's what de Blasio did... He basically said son now I'm your father and I'm white but you're black by giving him the whole how to act in public. It comes off as very condescending. I think you can educate your child about America and how they are viewed and still let them acknowledge and accept both sides of who they are. As I also said, he has certainly benefitted from his biracial background even if he only identifies as black. He's been able to go to one of the best public schools for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 08:31 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,635,085 times
Please, Italians are considered white in the US. Sicilians included. You can consider yourself what you want, but you'll be treated as white by society I'm pretty sure.

White kids told my kids (who are mixed black/white) that they weren't white pretty early. They are half white but that's not what people see.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:34 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,229,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franksobotka View Post
We as white members of society have a responsibility to combat racism daily in our lives to aid in its deconstruction.
Sorry, no, I reject the white man's burden. Every man for himself, no matter what the color.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Please, Italians are considered white in the US. Sicilians included.

White kids told my kids (who are mixed black/white) that they weren't white pretty early. They are half white but that's not what people see.
Of course not because we are pretty conditioned to tell people you're not this you're that. What nerve. Don't you have biracial kids? I'm curious if you do that oh I'm white kids and you're black crap. I think it trains them to believe that somehow they're less than by excluding a part of who they are as if your whiteness is somehow superior.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:39 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,496,356 times
Quote:
Please, Italians are considered white in the US. Sicilians included. You can consider yourself what you want, but you'll be treated as white by society I'm pretty sure.

That's true. And I think nonwhite kids would have said the same thing to them.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:40 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,883,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
In any event, relating this back to the main topic, we wouldn't need these foolish integration techniques if people opened their closed minds and stopped accepting this stupid labeling one-drop rule nonsense. Incredibly backwards in the 21st century to keep accepting a racist policy that is from centuries ago.
I don't think it has to do with race. America isn't a humongous society and we are free to choose what environment our children grow up in. Peer group has a large influence on children and you wouldn't want your kids learning bad habits, because other people practice poor parenting.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:

Yes but my point is "society" can change. Italians and Sicilians were not always considered white so obviously peoples' views can and do change. This is why the one drop rule has to change as well, otherwise what good are these "integration" exercises if we still hold certain beliefs about people and how they should act? What's the point of integration?

Old 08-21-2018, 08:44 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,635,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Of course not because we are pretty conditioned to tell people you're not this you're that. What nerve. Don't you have biracial kids? I'm curious if you do that oh I'm white kids and you're black crap. I think it trains them to believe that somehow they're less than by excluding a part of who they are as if your whiteness is somehow superior.
Actually I referred to them as black and white cookies when they were little and left it at that. Before going to school, they considered themselves white though. I mentioned before that my daughter doesn't seem to consider herself either at this point because white kids told her she wasn't white and black ones told her she wasn't black. But white kids consider her to be black. It's confusing and I know she feels different sometimes. Culturally, I think my kids are probably more white to tell you the truth.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:47 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,496,356 times
Quote:
Actually I referred to them as black and white cookies when they were little and left it at that. Before going to school, they considered themselves white though. I mentioned before that my daughter doesn't seem to consider herself either at this point because white kids told her she wasn't white and black ones told her she wasn't black. Culturally, I think my kids are probably more white to tell you the truth.
I wonder if the fact you live in a heavily Dominican area helps her maintain that ambiguity (since there are lots of people who look like her but don't necessarily identify as black). If you lived in an all white place in middle America, would it be different?

Old 08-21-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Actually I referred to them as black and white cookies when they were little and left it at that. Before going to school, they considered themselves white though. I mentioned before that my daughter doesn't seem to consider herself either at this point because white kids told her she wasn't white and black ones told her she wasn't black. Culturally, I think my kids are probably more white to tell you the truth.
And I think that's great that you let them decide. I go back to my question before, which is what exactly is the point of this integration? Are these kids truly going to be integrated just because there are more black and Latino children in the class?

I'm not so sure about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City