Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 07:42 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,556,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
. If anything that divides this group, it is the differences in their values. Fair to say that most of the racial tensions today start with conflicts involving lower class people and then get hypered by race fighters into racial confrontations. .
In fact most discussions on racial relations involving blacks are discussed by highly educated upper middle class blacks. The whole narrative is shaped by this group which has access to the media. If they didn't feel impacted by this then they would invest less time in discussing it. I don't recall uneducated blacks discussing racism on CNN or MSNBC.

Do you know that the Black Lives Matter movement is structured by college educated blacks, one of the leaders in fact being someone with Nigerian parents?

Note that many of the racial incidents that are reported involve middle class blacks. One that even created a huge fiasco was when Professor Gates had a confrontation because a SCARED white neighbor called the cops. The notion that even doing the right thing doesn't protect them from some SCARED white calling the police and triggering a situation.

Blacks scare whites if they aren't personally known by these whites and class only minimally reduces this. Within the corporate world there is the whole issue of black men having to be seen as "non threatening". The people who are around them are upper middle class, so why is this necessary. For black men assertiveness is a carefully choreographed action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 07:48 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,363,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
In fact most discussions on racial relations involving blacks are discussed by highly educated upper middle class blacks. The whole narrative is shaped by this group which has access to the media. If they didn't feel impacted by this then they would invest less time in discussing it. I don't recall uneducated blacks discussing racism on CNN or MSNBC.

Do you know that the Black Lives Matter movement is structured by college educated blacks, one of the leaders in fact being someone with Nigerian parents?

Note that many of the racial incidents that are reported involve middle class blacks. One that even created a huge fiasco was when Professor Gates had a confrontation because a SCARED white neighbor called the cops. The notion that even doing the right thing doesn't protect them from some SCARED white calling the police and triggering a situation.

Blacks scare whites if they aren't personally known by these whites and class only minimally reduces this. Within the corporate world there is the whole issue of black men having to be seen as "non threatening". The people who are around them are upper middle class, so why is this necessary. For black men assertiveness is a carefully choreographed action.
You seem like a super SJW.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:56 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,556,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
No just a regular upper middle class black man.

How often do you go to environments where 90% of the people are blacks? Think about what implicit assumptions you have about what these places will be like.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
No just a regular upper middle class black man.

How often do you go to environments where 90% of the people are blacks? Think about what implicit assumptions you have about what these places will be like.
How often? A few times a week when the weather is good.l I play ball around the city and the parks that I frequent are at least 95% non white. Many whites would certainly be uncomfortable with the but I'm not because I grew up playing ball just like this. My only assumption is that we'll run some good games. Lol

When I was the only one working and my current wife was going to school, we lived in a neighborhood in the Bronx that was at least 90% non white. The rent was cheap and it allowed us to pay for her school.

I grew up in this city, and I I know the deal. Tying everything into race is wrong just like those that deny there is racism. It's a lot more nuanced than just race. Especially in NYC.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:06 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,638,094 times
Quote:
Yes people can scream that folks must confront society. Humans are social beings and need to be part of some social grouping.

The USA is highly segregated when it comes to blacks and whites, so these black biracials have to chose. So many go with the group which unconditionally accepts them.

Asians and Hispanics face less resistance from whites so biracials from those groups will have identifies different from black biracials.

I challenge people to tell me how many whites will walk up to blacks who they don't know and try to socialize, unless introduced. That is outside of a business setting.
New York is really segregated it's true. We don't live in a majority black or white area though (majority Latino). For my daughter at least, these are the kids she seems to most often make friends with, even though it's not our culture. She has white and black friends too so it doesn't seem to have been such a stark choice for her so far.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:10 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,508,223 times
For the people who claim NYC is the most segregated city in the US, what major or even large city is ideal to you then? I have never been to another city in the US that I thought was more integrated. Philly and Boston seem more segregated if anything. I hear people say that Chicago is considerably more segregated.

I find that the most segregated neighborhoods tend to be: super wealthy Manhattan and Brooklyn neighborhoods that are too expensive for anybody but whites and maybe some Asians to afford for the most part, and homeowner heavy neighborhoods on the outskirts of the city that tend to be heavily AA/West Indian (like Canarsie, East Flatbush, etc.) or heavily white in the case of South Shore SI.

But many, many neighborhoods feel diverse overall. And there are neighborhoods that are not diverse in terms of residents, but have people of all different backgrounds hanging out in them.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:13 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,638,094 times
Quote:
How often? A few times a week when the weather is good.l I play ball around the city and the parks that I frequent are at least 95% non white. Many whites would certainly be uncomfortable with the but I'm not because I grew up playing ball just like this. My only assumption is that we'll run some good games. Lol

When I was the only one working and my current wife was going to school, we lived in a neighborhood in the Bronx that was at least 90% non white. The rent was cheap and it allowed us to pay for her school.

I grew up in this city, and I I know the deal. Tying everything into race is wrong just like those that deny there is racism. It's a lot more nuanced than just race. Especially in NYC.
That was Bedford Park where we are. I don't think you're correct about the 90% stat (more likely 80 something), but it really doesn't matter. To be fair, I got the impression you weren't socializing with your neighbors much.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:14 PM

People self segregate. Mostly it's along ethnic / cultural lines but at times it's along socioeconomic lines. Whites self segregate along cultural lines as well.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:16 PM

139 posts, read 109,411 times
Quote:
Warriors are strong, amazing, and brave.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:17 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,508,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
That was Bedford Park where we are. I don't think you're correct about the 90% stat, but it really doesn't matter. To be fair, I got the impression you weren't socializing with your neighbors much.
Maybe the white population is mostly elderly and not walking around as much. I'm not too familiar with Bedford Park but the one time I was there, I did not see a single white person so I can see why someone would think that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City