Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 09:26 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
Yeah, my statement seems to be there around the 20th but get the email from Gotham a day or two later but I refuse to use Auto-pay anything, that freaks me out
I don't blame you. I pay all bills online and this gives me a chance to thoroughly review all statements from ConEd, Verizon and any credit cards, etc. Case in point my Verizon Wireless bill is almost $350.00 for the September billing cycle, but that's because I have that iPad and changed plans, so I have some one-time charges on the account. Went through everything to make sure I wasn't overcharged.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 08-22-2018 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 09:31 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,863,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I don't blame you. I pay all bills online and this gives me a chance to thoroughly review all statements from ConEd, Verizon and any credit cards, etc. Case in point my Verizon Wireless bill is almost $350.00 for the September, but that's because I have that iPad and changed plans, so I have some one-time charges on the account. Went through everything to make sure I wasn't overcharged.
It's all that and even though I would be the one setting up Auto pay, it makes me feel like I would be giving up control. I already feel like we are giving everything to technology - that sh*t freaks me out. Perhaps I'm watching too many IA themed shows, dunno know.

Last edited by Marshabrady; 08-22-2018 at 09:56 AM..

Old 08-22-2018, 09:45 AM

3,140 posts, read 2,733,403 times
I just have my bank send a check. It only takes a couple minutes to set up. That way you have a third-party record of mailing. Most banks let you do recurring payments, so you don't need to worry about it afterwards. The mailing, at least in theory, takes a few days, though (more than you would necessarily allow for an in-city mailing), so you need to make sure that you'll have the funds in your account by the day of the month needed to avoid the late fee. That's usually a bit earlier than the 31st.

In three-paycheck months the last check always comes too late so, rather than wait til the end of the month to enjoy doing whatever I'm going to do with that third check, I usually skip an month on the recurring plan and hand-write the check on the 31st. But, realistically, I could just leave the second check untouched for the rent and then do whatever with the third check. I'm just too impatient.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
It's all that and even though I would be the one setting up Auto pay, it makes me feel like I would be giving up control. I already feel like we are giving everything to technology - that sh*t freaks me out. Perhaps I'm watching too may IA themed shows, dunno know.
LMAO... I feel the same way. I want to have control and things happen. I mean for example, back in 2012 when Hurricane Sandy hit I had to make some changes financially because some consulting work I was doing was cancelled immediately, so that money wasn't there hitting my account. You see I like to use that money to pay some of my bills which means extra money for savings or what have you. Additionally part of my salary is commission based, so the more projects I work on, the more money I make. I have a rough idea of what I'll bring in each month, but it's never the same.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
I just have my bank send a check. It only takes a couple minutes to set up. That way you have a third-party record of mailing. Most banks let you do recurring payments, so you don't need to worry about it afterwards. The mailing, at least in theory, takes a few days, though (more than you would necessarily allow for an in-city mailing), so you need to make sure that you'll have the funds in your account by the day of the month needed to avoid the late fee. That's usually a bit earlier than the 31st.

In three-paycheck months the last check always comes too late so, rather than wait til the end of the month to enjoy doing whatever I'm going to do with that third check, I usually skip an month on the recurring plan and hand-write the check on the 31st. But, realistically, I could just leave the second check untouched for the rent and then do whatever with the third check. I'm just too impatient.
Before electronic payments I used to do that for some general payments and people would complain that they never got the check and you had no way to track it so I stopped doing that because then you have to wait for the monies to be redeposited or withdraw the cash and get a money order with certified mail or something where you can track the payment. Of course some banks offer tracking with things like FedEx, but if it's going to a PO Box good luck trying to use FedEx or UPS for that matter. I also used to get paid by a client that way who I do consultation work for. I told them you need to start paying me electronically, and since they like my work, they set it up a few years ago, so now I get an e-mail when they pay me and the money is deposited directly in a day or two. No waiting for the check and then having to deposit it and all of that.

The bigger the management company, the more likely they are to offer electronic payments because they want their money. They don't have to make so many trips to the PO Box either to deposit the checks.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:00 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,863,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Before electronic payments I used to do that for some general payments and people would complain that they never got the check and you had no way to track it so I stopped doing that because then you have to wait for the monies to be redeposited or withdraw the cash and get a money order with certified mail or something where you can track the payment. Of course some banks offer tracking with things like FedEx, but if it's going to a PO Box good luck trying to use FedEx or UPS for that matter. I also used to get paid by a client that way who I do consultation work for. I told them you need to start paying me electronically, and since they like my work, they set it up a few years ago, so now I get an e-mail when they pay me and the money is deposited directly in a day or two. No waiting for the check and then having to deposit it and all of that.

The bigger the management company, the more likely they are to offer electronic payments because they want their money. They don't have to make so many trips to the PO Box either to deposit the checks.
Yeah mine actually encouraged electronic payments, I remember her saying sometimes it takes 3 weeks for them to get the checks. I didn't think that was true but I went with it.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Yeah mine actually encouraged electronic payments, I remember her saying sometimes it takes 3 weeks for them to get the checks. I didn't think that was true but I went with it.
When I would wait for payments from consulting work, sometimes I'd get so angry because the client would e-mail me telling me the payment was sent on their end and then I'd wait and wait and wait because the check was processed in another friggin' state by their bank, then they take their sweet time mailing it (the bank that is) and it takes forever, so sometimes it was well over a week, especially with how bad postal service is these days, and then after I received it, I had to the deposit the damn check and wait a few more days for all of it to clear into the account. Annoying... Electronic payments eliminates all of that.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:07 AM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
My bank does it thru ACH.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:20 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,733,403 times
I'm not too worried about my LL's feelings...though if he set up a free e-pay system I'd probably use that instead.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:01 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
Check. My landlord's office is 3 blocks from my apartment so it's really easy for me. Before that, I had an electronic check payment system in place (SoHo), online system (Fort Greene), and online payment through my school for dorms (Downtown Brooklyn). I also shared some apartments where I would just pay my friend and he would handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: