Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2023, 10:41 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

BOHICA!

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...hree-in-august

https://nypost.com/2023/07/21/new-yo...icity-by-2025/

https://abc7ny.com/con-ed-bill-new-y...fuel/13529638/
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2023, 02:57 AM

5,816 posts, read 2,943,117 times
Shhhh. Don’t tell those charging their cars overnight. Let’s see the shock as the price goes up every year if not every month as more Evs are sold.

Old 07-22-2023, 05:46 AM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
NY stupidly followed California’s lead and upped the bar by closing Indian Point before building out “renewable” sources. You get what you vote for. Electric cars have nothing to do with this, but will be the scapegoat to ensure voters remain dumb to what the politicians are doing.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-22-2023, 07:47 AM

1,034 posts, read 673,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Shhhh. Don’t tell those charging their cars overnight. Let’s see the shock as the price goes up every year if not every month as more Evs are sold.
People are not dumb. They can figure it out when they see their ConEd bill BEFORE shopping for an EV.

Old 07-22-2023, 08:52 AM

5,676 posts, read 2,610,110 times
Please my Con Ed bill has been more for months. Now it will be even more. Yipppie

Old 07-23-2023, 05:36 AM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Friends and family from Jersey crack on me all the time because their electric bills for private homes (some quite large) are lower than for an apartment in NYC.

One thing all family and friends who moved from SI to NJ noticed off the bat was how much lower their electricity bills were, this even in summer with AC going much of the time.

Don't know how much more people in city can take. In 2019, the average residential bill at 300 kWh was $65.42, and in 2022, it was $84.10.

With this summer of near constant state of moistness and or heat people are running AC more which is starting to hit them in wallet as first bills for season are arriving.

Working from home is all very well but people are also realizing that means they are often using more juice (AC, computer, devices, maybe heat if they pay their own bill) because are not out at office five days per week for 8-10 hours (factoring in commute time).

With more and more new construction for multi-family going with residents paying for their own heat/hot water (electric) along with perhaps AC these ever increasing rates are going to hit home.

Old 07-23-2023, 06:25 AM

NJ didn’t blindly follow CA. Cuomo screwed you guys royally.

My bill this month was $189. My AC never goes above 70 and my Tesla only charges at home.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-23-2023, 06:45 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
NJ didn’t blindly follow CA. Cuomo screwed you guys royally.

My bill this month was $189. My AC never goes above 70 and my Tesla only charges at home.
Meh
That's just cause you're closer to the action
Your energy no longer has to travel over bodies of water to get to you

I wonder which borough has the cheapest electricity rates
My guess is the Bronx

Maybe in hindsight, it might have not been such a good idea to have a nuclear power plant that close to an island city of over 8 million people? Everybody talks about closing it down, but people mostly lived around there because they got tax benefits. I don't think many people would be too enticed to live close to a nuclear power plant unless some incentive was involved.

The federal minimum distance (last I checked) for any development around a nuclear plant was 50 miles. I think they updated it throughout the years, but I'm not sure. Maybe at one time it used to be closer.

I think green energy is a good thing, and technology always gets better. Gotta have a Plan B, oil is not an infinite resource, unless we don't care about future generations. They can expand on the technology as well. Disturbing the Earth never goes well.

Truth be told - look at the EV industry, the cars are getting larger and faster. They'll figure it out. Everything you're seeing right now is the Beta version. In another 10 years, you'll probably have the equivalent of what was happening to cars during the early 2000s. More reliable and more options.

I'm just waiting for Apple, Samsung, LG, Microsoft, the likes of those - to start making cars.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 07-23-2023 at 06:57 AM..

Old 07-23-2023, 07:06 AM

Well, it sounds like you’re ok with NY’s exorbitant energy rates then. That’s good since you have to pay them. Stupid policy decisions have consequences and constantly making excuses for them does nothing for consumers’ bank accounts.

Old 07-23-2023, 07:08 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Well, it sounds like you’re ok with NY’s exorbitant energy rates then. That’s good since you have to pay them. Stupid policy decisions have consequences and constantly making excuses for them does nothing for consumers’ bank accounts.
I live on an island
How cheap do you expect my delivery rates to be?
Actually I'm an anomaly because I'm in NYC but I'm not on ConEd. I'm actually PSEG. But Queens and Brooklyn are still part of Long Island.

Check out Staten Island's electricity situation:
https://www.silive.com/specialreport...ten_islan.html

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: