Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 01:59 PM

14 posts, read 51,343 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend has won 2 1/2 years ago and I want to move with him when my lease is up (in two months), does someone knows what are the rules?

We have never lived together, He lives in HK and I live in Brooklyn.

I wont be on his lease since we are not married (yet). I couldn't find a clear answer on Housing website.

We started to date when he signed the lease but we weren't dating when he did the application.

Please answer only if you know the rules and not if you "think" Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 04:13 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23NYC View Post
Please answer only if you know the rules and not if you "think" Thanks
Your boyfriend should contact the management company and ask them. They are the only people who will KNOW the rules.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:35 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,356,380 times
Lol the housing lottery in NYC is just great isn't it?

I guess at least OP is trying to be honest but just waiting until OP and boyfriend realize she can movr in and no one would really care either way.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:59 PM

116 posts, read 77,117 times
You can. All of the apartments take into account that the amount listed can be +1 per the official guidelines.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:07 PM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
Your boyfriend has lived there two and a half years? He lives in Hong Kong? I'm not getting this.

There is actually no official policy that I'm aware of that says when a lottery winner can legally move another person in. If you do it too soon, the person can be accused of fraud. I would wait six months to a year to be safe.

I agree with the advice previously posted to consult the lease. There should be wording in there.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:49 PM

47 posts, read 84,666 times
Here is the email to ask the source directly: info@nychdc.com

Last edited by MagicFlute; 09-02-2018 at 08:07 PM..

Old 09-02-2018, 07:55 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicFlute View Post
I am very surprised you couldn't find the answer to this questions because it is clearly marked right there in the marketing handbook on page 42 under "Changes to household composition -- at or after the eligibility interview." Quote:

After the eligibility appointment, changes to household composition will result in the application being deemed low priority.The Marketing Agent must send them a Low Priority Notice (Attachment H-5). In the case that an applicant appeals citing a change in household composition that occurred after the eligibility appointment, the Marketing Agent must only reconsider the application if such change is due to an extenuating circumstance. Extenuating circumstances in this case may include but are not limited to:
-Death of a member of the household
-Birth in the household
-Separation or divorce
-Court order of custody
- Domestic violence

Additionally, the H-5 attachment clearly states that "This program gives preference to current NYC residents". Your boyfriend is not currently a NYC resident as he lives in HK. He might lose the unit altogether anyway.

Here is the link to the handbook: https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...g-handbook.pdf

Umm, pretty sure OP meant Hell's Kitchen not Hong Kong for "HK". But then again who knows with these wacky housing related threads. People always trying to scheme, scam and otherwise run game.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:56 PM

1,486 posts, read 988,085 times
So your BF lives in Hells Kitchen in an affordable apartment and you want to move in...…...Trust me, no one cares if you move in as long as you are a good tenant. But if you move in and start pissing off the wrong people then you will have a problem if your income + his income puts booth of yall over the maximum allowed for 2 people in a 1 bedroom.

So if I were you, I would move in, keep quiet and not attract attention to yourself.
Also just a tip....New Yorkers do not call Hells Kitchen HK. HK means Hong Kong around here.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:57 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,356,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
So your BF lives in Hells Kitchen in an affordable apartment and you want to move in...…...Trust me, no one cares if you move in as long as you are a good tenant. But if you move in and start pissing off the wrong people then you will have a problem if your income + his income puts booth of yall over the maximum allowed for 2 people in a 1 bedroom.

So if I were you, I would move in, keep quiet and not attract attention to yourself.
Also just a tip....New Yorkers do not call Hells Kitchen HK. HK means Hong Kong around here.
Lol they won't lose the apt.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:22 PM

1,486 posts, read 988,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Lol they won't lose the apt.
They wont loose the apartment but if GF moves in, her income + his may take them out of one AMI and put them into a higher AMI meaning that nice low rent the BF was paying may jump once the lease is renewed.

Last edited by SoullessOne; 09-02-2018 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: