Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 06:28 PM

497 posts, read 284,790 times

Advertisements

I see these posts about Queens being "boring" and "suburban", I take it that people who write those things aren't familiar with the borough. It's not one huge Little Neck, much of Queens is comparable to Brooklyn in terms of urbanity. There is lots of great food and nightlife in Western/Central Queens, as well as other activities. Astoria is a happening neighborhood, and Ridgewood is turning into one too.

I've lived in Brooklyn my whole life and prefer Brooklyn, but Queens is great too and I would be happy living anywhere along the 7, or any of the J/F stops West of the Van Wyck.

I take it that at least some of the Queens haters here are old Brooklynites who have a stubborn sense of pride, combined with lack of knowledge of boroughs not named Manhattan or Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 06:38 PM

202 posts, read 165,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingLover View Post
I see these posts about Queens being "boring" and "suburban", I take it that people who write those things aren't familiar with the borough. It's not one huge Little Neck, much of Queens is comparable to Brooklyn in terms of urbanity. There is lots of great food and nightlife in Western/Central Queens, as well as other activities. Astoria is a happening neighborhood, and Ridgewood is turning into one too.

I've lived in Brooklyn my whole life and prefer Brooklyn, but Queens is great too and I would be happy living anywhere along the 7, or any of the J/F stops West of the Van Wyck.

I take it that at least some of the Queens haters here are old Brooklynites who have a stubborn sense of pride, combined with lack of knowledge of boroughs not named Manhattan or Brooklyn.

Like Crooklyn, Queens has very different and distinct areas. There's enough of it to make everyone happy. North East Queens is very suburban like but close enough to action if you want that. Western Queens (Astoria, LIC, etc) is more urban and younger, full of various nightlife (most of it wack imo). Then you have South Queens which is mainly ghetto (no offense). But it's there if that's your speed too!

I'm 45 so don't really party much but when I did it was Manhattan and then Queens. I never stepped foot near Brooklyn. I recently drove through Williamsburg and couldn't believe the hype. It was so weak. But, then again, I'm a kid of the 80s/90s so every place is weak to me these days.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensCeltic View Post
Like Crooklyn, Queens has very different and distinct areas. There's enough of it to make everyone happy. North East Queens is very suburban like but close enough to action if you want that. Western Queens (Astoria, LIC, etc) is more urban and younger, full of various nightlife (most of it wack imo). Then you have South Queens which is mainly ghetto (no offense). But it's there if that's your speed too!

I'm 45 so don't really party much but when I did it was Manhattan and then Queens. I never stepped foot near Brooklyn. I recently drove through Williamsburg and couldn't believe the hype. It was so weak. But, then again, I'm a kid of the 80s/90s so every place is weak to me these days.
I agree that there's something for everyone.

But Williamsburg is pretty dope

Old 09-20-2018, 06:47 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Little Neck is nicer than most of Brooklyn.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:08 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Queens folks do not want hipsters to invade, Brooklyn has very little available land compare to Queens. The problem with Queens is that there's very little fanfare or hype around Queens so developers have not dumped some serious developments in Queens but it's coming. Queens is a lot more diverse than Brooklyn and there are a lot more mcMansions than Brooklyn too. I hope Queens never becomes overrated like Brooklyn.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Queens folks do not want hipsters to invade, Brooklyn has very little available land compare to Queens. The problem with Queens is that there's very little fanfare or hype around Queens so developers have not dumped some serious developments in Queens but it's coming. Queens is a lot more diverse than Brooklyn and there are a lot more mcMansions than Brooklyn too. I hope Queens never becomes overrated like Brooklyn.
Queens is expensive too. Jamaica is mostly a dump, yet houses there are still expensive. The more desirable areas are even more expensive.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:15 PM

37,161 posts, read 39,451,107 times
All of NYC is overrated to a lot of people.

There has been plenty of construction with the yuppies in Long Island City and the influx of East Asian, mostly Chinese money into Flushing. Whether or not that's better than the hipsters of Bushwick is really up to the person. Personally, I like the shops and entertainment that comes from the hipsters of Bushwick and the Chinese immigrants of Flushing much more than what comes with the white collar yuppies of Long Island City.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:44 PM

8,697 posts, read 11,089,464 times
Quote:
More than half of Queens isn’t accessible by subway. That by itself will deter many young folks with no cars.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
More than half of Queens isn’t accessible by subway. That by itself will deter many young folks with no cars.
How? There is Subway service as far East as 179th st. The places East of that are designed to be autocentric anyway

Old 09-20-2018, 08:25 PM

202 posts, read 165,572 times
Quote:
This is true. Our biggest fear is being invaded by hipsters. I've seen some as far East as Bayside but it's still early enough to attack the problem. And by attack, I mean attack. My street has all agreed to harass any and all people that even remotely appear to be hipsterish! So far it has worked. They've left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: