Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 09:04 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
1. No you don't. This is not debatable.
2. If nobody rode it, they would not continue to operate it. If it was empty, they would close it. This is also not debatable.
Where did I say nobody rode it. I said most travelers, especially most frequently travelers don't use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 09:23 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Low cost airlines aren't that low cost, combined with HOUSING at the travel destination, car rentals, among other expenses. Low cost airlines cater to budget conscious passengers, which is not the same as poor people. If you're too poor to afford a ride share or car service to the airport, you're too poor to travel and no amount of hysteria from people here will change that.

But again this is WELFARE DATA forum.

JFK has lots of international flights.

And you are not flying Southwest overseas. And you have to get to the airport earlier with International Flights.
Please stop with the snide remarks on welfare.

JFK hosts numerous low cost North American and international routes. Most planes have a greater mix of economy seating vs business/first/premium, clearly not everyone is a big shot business traveler taking a black Cadillac to JFK.

Provide some data to backup the claims that most people take private car service.

At this point I'm getting lost. What is the argument about again since the air tram already exists and takes passengers to JFK?

Old 10-13-2018, 10:40 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,954 times
Anyway back to JFK. Just learned about a new bar/lounge being built at JFK using the hull of an old Constellation Starliner. Link

En route:

Old 10-13-2018, 10:59 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Quote:
Low cost airlines aren't that low cost, combined with HOUSING at the travel destination, car rentals, among other expenses. Low cost airlines cater to budget conscious passengers, which is not the same as poor people. If you're too poor to afford a ride share or car service to the airport, you're too poor to travel and no amount of hysteria from people here will change that.

But again this is WELFARE DATA forum.

JFK has lots of international flights.

And you are not flying Southwest overseas. And you have to get to the airport earlier with International Flights.
There are literally MILLIONS of New Yorkers who are traveling to see family and friends in the Caribbean, to Puerto Rico, to Atlanta, to Miami-

Places where trip miles flights would be equal to the cost of a 5 mile cab ride.

That doesn't make these people too poor to travel.
They might be staying with family, or might be students, or might be eco-concious.

Coming from Long Island, Kennedy was easy- it was a no brainier you'd need a ride, and everyone there has a car.

I cringe if I have to fly in or out of Kennedy from Manhattan.

No wonder Chicago blows away New York on business conventions.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:01 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,697,086 times
No matter how much they invest into JFK, it'll still be horrible ranked right in front of Newark

Old 10-13-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Please stop with the snide remarks on welfare.

JFK hosts numerous low cost North American and international routes. Most planes have a greater mix of economy seating vs business/first/premium, clearly not everyone is a big shot business traveler taking a black Cadillac to JFK.

Provide some data to backup the claims that most people take private car service.

At this point I'm getting lost. What is the argument about again since the air tram already exists and takes passengers to JFK?
All airplane tickets cost substantially more than an Uber ride.

I’m sorry affordable housing people are so irrational. People come on here especially for welfare advice.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
There are literally MILLIONS of New Yorkers who are traveling to see family and friends in the Caribbean, to Puerto Rico, to Atlanta, to Miami-

Places where trip miles flights would be equal to the cost of a 5 mile cab ride.

That doesn't make these people too poor to travel.
They might be staying with family, or might be students, or might be eco-concious.

Coming from Long Island, Kennedy was easy- it was a no brainier you'd need a ride, and everyone there has a car.

I cringe if I have to fly in or out of Kennedy from Manhattan.

No wonder Chicago blows away New York on business conventions.
They are too poor to travel if they cannot afford a rideshare or a cab from Manhattan. Period!

Old 10-13-2018, 01:06 PM

304 posts, read 782,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Meanwhile all over Europe, Asia, South America, etc... you find fast, safe and efficient rail transport from urban center to airports. Getting from Paris to de Gaulle or Orly is a treat compared to JFK from Manhattan.
Yup. Love Hong Kong Intl Airport. Got so many clean, efficient, abundant transport options into the city.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:09 PM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
The current transit options to JFK are perfectly FINE. I'm not opposed to direct seat to JFK, but it is certainly not a priority. Frequently travelers take TAXI or Uber.

For that matter, if you have the money to buy an airplane ticket, you have the money to pay for a car or ride sharing service.

With some exceptions I cannot imagine why people would risk getting stuck in the subway and miss their flights.

But back to this upgrade, being paid for by PRIVATE airlines, Airlines are under no obligation to pay for new transit.

New runways? Well they could do that if they eminent domain private property. Is forcing homeowners out of their homes in Howard Beach a good idea that would fly politically?

Airports are not for people who cannot afford car services. Often when people travel to their vacation destination or place their doing business, they may rent cars or they have to pay for some sort of lodging (Airbnb or hotels).
Your standards for "perfectly FINE" might just be different from that of some other people. I definitely don't think the options are fine.

The affordability of getting to there with rideshare and cabs is an interesting take on all this, but it's not the affordability that's the issue here--it's convenience and reliability. If you are going into or coming from or through the center of the city, you are going to hit traffic if you're in your own car, a lyft, or a taxi. That is all relatively unpredictable. What a lot of cities with what I'd actually consider "perfectly FINE" transit options have is a reliable and frequent rapid single shot to at least the main terminal of the airport from at least one point in the city center (though usually multiple points) and potentially a people mover circulator that services from there to other terminals. What we have now is pretty pfffft and I think following the logic over people too poor to have uber aren't flying anyhow is sort of somewhere off on its own tangent because that's not really the point that dedicated direct rail transit to airports from city centers is meant to address--it's reliability and convenience!

Old 10-14-2018, 10:01 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Quote:
They are too poor to travel if they cannot afford a rideshare or a cab from Manhattan. Period!
Oh, you wrote period after a statement with not factual basis, you must be correct!

What else exists throughout the world that you deem poor New Yorkers incapable of?

Please enligten us? Maybe they should close the tube line in London that goes to Heathrow. Make it world class! NYWRITERDUDE style. More like low class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City