Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 09:36 AM

3,140 posts, read 2,733,403 times

Advertisements

Newport is like living in a mall. Which there is a big one right across the way, so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 09:47 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Funny... I have the same cabinets and stove hood in my kitchen. My backsplash is white subway tiles though so it has a more homey feel and my counters are a light color.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:51 AM

6,689 posts, read 6,033,238 times
I'd take Jersey City. Was just there yesterday, and liked it.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:23 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Who is making the most money? You or the wife?

I would choose Jersey City. It has all the amenities that you need and want. It's a 20 min ride to Downtown NYC. The path is cheaper than the MTA. You can also take a ferry for $7.00 to Wall Street (1 way).

Jersey City (closer to the river) A lot of new high rises are being developed in this area. This will be a hot spot in a couple of years.
Exchange Place
Journal Square
Hoboken

I am looking for a coop/condo either in the above areas or in Bergen County, NJ.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:18 PM

109 posts, read 95,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
The toll is $10.50 with EZ-pass and crossing back into NY before peak.
$200 a month then + city tax on top + paying NJ state tax because you work there. Worst of all worlds IMO to live in NYC and work in NJ.

Driving over that bridge or tunnel everyday is stressful as well, I’d pay extra rent to avoid that tbh.

You’d be getting home from work late and I highly doubt you’d be able to enjoy the delights of Harlem every night.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:27 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc-transplant-150988 View Post
$200 a month then + city tax on top + paying NJ state tax because you work there. Worst of all worlds IMO to live in NYC and work in NJ.

Driving over that bridge or tunnel everyday is stressful as well, I’d pay extra rent to avoid that tbh.

You’d be getting home from work late and I highly doubt you’d be able to enjoy the delights of Harlem every night.
I've been commuting from midtown for several years now and taking the GW. The reverse commute and tolls are not an issue.

Finding garage parking however may be more difficult in northern Manhattan. We have a pretty sweet deal right now for $255 p/month for a garage off 8th Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Who is making the most money? You or the wife?

I would choose Jersey City. It has all the amenities that you need and want. It's a 20 min ride to Downtown NYC. The path is cheaper than the MTA. You can also take a ferry for $7.00 to Wall Street (1 way).

Jersey City (closer to the river) A lot of new high rises are being developed in this area. This will be a hot spot in a couple of years.
Exchange Place
Journal Square
Hoboken

I am looking for a coop/condo either in the above areas or in Bergen County, NJ.
I'll be working full time while the SO keeps a Saturday teaching gig. JC amenities are appealing for sure, especially how many buildings include them with the rent where as in NY the amenities are an additional fee.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
I've been commuting from midtown for several years now and taking the GW. The reverse commute and tolls are not an issue.

Finding garage parking however may be more difficult in northern Manhattan. We have a pretty sweet deal right now for $255 p/month for a garage off 8th Ave.

I'll be working full time while the SO keeps a Saturday teaching gig. JC amenities are appealing for sure, especially how many buildings include them with the rent where as in NY the amenities are an additional fee.
Lay down the hammer on wifey. Jersey City would be best for both.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:14 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,399 times
If you are looking to get serious you should be looking to save money to buy your own place. It makes more sense to live in JC and save money than always rent in the city.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:53 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Newport is like living in a mall. Which there is a big one right across the way, so...
And circumscribed by Shop-Rite, A&P, and Morton Williams, and BJ's and Target, it is FAB.

Nothing wrong with a backyard Mall (Macy's Penney's, Sears, Cineplex) and a front yard Hudson River and a PATH station on site. Hudson River Walkway is delightful.
It was hard for me to move away and I even rejected my first ML offering.

Newport is a really nice place to live.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
If you are looking to get serious you should be looking to save money to buy your own place. It makes more sense to live in JC and save money than always rent in the city.
Cosign! That is what i am going to do. I am saving up for a down payment and buying a nice coop or condo.

It doesn't make sense to keep on renting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City