Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 05:32 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycman9 View Post
I was wondering what types of jobs will Amazon be offering and what salaries.

Is it all white-collar only(office, administrative work), or will there also be blue-collar jobs(cleaning, maintenance, trade jobs, etc..). I imagine there will be a lot more jobs for mostly Degree holders.
When was the last time cleaning and maintenance workers were employed by the company that they provide services? That was some sort of mythos back in the 50s where the janitor works his way up to become the CEO. Now-a-days, the Janitor doesn't work for said employer.

I have enjoyed reading these threads, especially the writings of technological plebes. They shroud so much mythos and glam around the tech industry. So cool. Their misconceptions of what it is, what it entails, keep me employed.

Last edited by roseba; 11-16-2018 at 05:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 07:18 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Ask Jad2k. She is an expert on this stuff.
Ha! Funny thing is I had a huge meeting yesterday with one of my big ad agency clients about my company’s Amazon data. I work for a “big data” digital analysis company. We have digital behavioral data (as well as qualitative, lifestyle and attitudinal data) about consumers. We do a lot of work around e-commerce and of course research about consumers and their engagement with Amazon is of major interest.

So given my industry background here is my educated guess...

Amazon is not just an e-commerce site. Though a lot of their current business and revenue comes from the commerce sites (they also own Zappos for example). Others on this thread have pointed this out but to be clear: Amazon also has many other business that typical consumers cant see like their advertising network and AWS (Amazon web services) cloud computing. That cloud computing side of the business is very large and has a component of it that focuses on government cloud computing. Government contracts are VERY lucrative.

THe advertising side is very large too and next to google and Facebook, Amazon is one of the largest potential revenue generators for online advertising dollars (which has the potential to be in the billions...). You may not notice this but there are sponsored product listings on Amazon and there is a whole business around brands optimizing their product placements and pages to get more sales and push down competitive sales/brands within Amazon. Companies and ad agencies have built “Amazon advertising strategies” in attempts to get more share/sales within Amazon. It’s a huge land grab to try and figure out a winning Amazon strategy.

Amazon like most companies wants to grow their business. Being the biggest online department store is great but what’s greater? Diversifying their revenue so they have multiple divisions that can *also* make billions. For them that now means growth in two areas that have great potential: their cloud computing and their advertising business. I also expect they will continue to look for other areas of growth.

Since there is huge growth potential now with government contracts, it makes sense that they have opened a huge office near the government. They can also hire “local talent” that knows the ins and outs of working with the government. This also positions them well for any lobbying they may need to do for regulations, etc.

Also there is also huge potential to scale their advertising business. They set up their second huge office in nyc which happens to have a large amount of “local talent” in the form of advertising and media. Nyc is also the business center of the US, if not the world. So no shock that they’d want a big office here too and one that’s likely going to focus on a business line they want to scale aggressively.

Finally I believe their office search was done specifically to mine data about which cities are best to grow additional lines of business. So now Amazon has a blueprint for every major and minor city in N America and which ones Work to scale new/growing business. For example logistics in Nashville- which was a surprise office addition but apparently the area is know for experience in logistics. If they want to expand into Latin America- they have info about opening in Miami. They want to expand their video/tv/movie content? They have info for LA, etc...

Last edited by jad2k; 11-16-2018 at 07:32 AM..

Old 11-16-2018, 12:59 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
^
From what I've heard AWS is much more profitable for them than the retail business. I don't know about the advertising, other than they're trying to grow it.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:21 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
^
From what I've heard AWS is much more profitable for them than the retail business. I don't know about the advertising, other than they're trying to grow it.
Which is totally understandable becase there is probably more overhead costs with the retail business so they will look for more ways to maximize profits- like scaling an advertising businesses around the retail sites.

They are trying to grow the digital ad business *becase* it’s extremely profitable. Or more specificity it has the potential to be extremely profitable. There is a digital shift happening. Brands are moving their ad dollars from more traditional forms of media (tv, newspapers, magazines, radio, etc) to online. As more people cut the chords by streaming their tv/movie/content online, and just spending more time online in general, more ad dollars will continue to move online.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:55 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
This is going to be interesting. Amazon is known for NOT being a great place to work, even for higher dollar white collar workers. It's a bit of a sweatshop. Then again in NYC, there are a lot of sweatshops (think the brokerage houses), but they'll pay big, so some people feel it's worth it. I don't know if Amazon can pay enough to compete with them.
They don't.

Brokerage pays $300k average, Amazon is only at a paltry $150k in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Which is totally understandable becase there is probably more overhead costs with the retail business so they will look for more ways to maximize profits- like scaling an advertising businesses around the retail sites.

They are trying to grow the digital ad business *becase* it’s extremely profitable. Or more specificity it has the potential to be extremely profitable. There is a digital shift happening. Brands are moving their ad dollars from more traditional forms of media (tv, newspapers, magazines, radio, etc) to online. As more people cut the chords by streaming their tv/movie/content online, and just spending more time online in general, more ad dollars will continue to move online.
Amazon is definitely growing in the Ad space but from my interactions with them they are behind in terms of Martech integrations with F500. They have not been very accommodating so we haven't done much with them. I'd never work for them and many others in the Mar/Ad tech space would not either. They'll be stuck with Sales folks that don't get the tech and that's why they are having a hard time breaking through to Advertisers. A lot of flashy PPTs and kool-aid being passed around but they aren't buttoned up and don't follow through. Sr. Leadership is OK with the Holiday stuff but not much else. They should look at Salesforce as an example.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:35 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
If the economy here started to contract, believe me, people would complain, and a lot. You can't keep the economy on the razors edge between expansion and contraction. Either it grows or it shrinks, and growth is ALWAYS better. The people who don't think so are the losers who can't keep up.
Bringing in a company that is practically a monopoly in its sector is not going to grow the economy. The retail sector in general, not just internet, is much smaller world now thanks to Amazon. If any incentives are to be given, it should be to small startups. Growth should occur at the grassroots level. Growing an economy while at the same time hurting yourself with bad deals is not very good.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
Tax rate doesn't change because of Amazon. We just have additional people to tax because they're in New York and not Washington.
Will we get more tax dollars from huge, giant, corporation, or its employees? Potentially speaking. I am sure we get more out of the Corporation and its shareholders than its employees. I doubt Amazon pays its employees that much to offset that difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
NYS can afford to have such generous things such as an excellent medicaid program, free SUNY and free CUNY, the nation's public transportation network, etc because of all the money flowing through NYC.

If the NYC were in contraction, all those things would be severely cut back. Look at subway maps in the 80s, when the MTA was constantly cutting back service due to funding issues.

You're absolutely right that growth and change are necessary and are always better than stagnation and decline.
How exactly is bringing in a couple of paper pushers, desk jockies working in online retailing suppose to "grow and change" NYC? We already have plenty of those. Basically in your other posts, you are stating Amazon is coming here for the stuff we already have. So how will it change now?

Last edited by NJ Brazen_3133; 11-16-2018 at 07:53 PM..

Old 11-16-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Also there is also huge potential to scale their advertising business. They set up their second huge office in nyc which happens to have a large amount of “local talent” in the form of advertising and media. Nyc is also the business center of the US, if not the world. So no shock that they’d want a big office here too and one that’s likely going to focus on a business line they want to scale aggressively.
Again, there should be no need to give them incentives to come here. It is already enticing enough. What is point of being enticing, when you dont get anything out of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Very informative jad2k

I didnt want to quote that long post, but I gave Reps.
LOL, so Amazon is Internet services provider, I had no idea

They also have movies and TV shows.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:54 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
It will grow the local economy.

The Internet in general, and Amazon in particular has taken a big chunk out of the local retail business. At least now well get a piece of that back.

Don't take the statement as me shedding any tears for local retail. Retail in NYC has always been a huge rippoff. I love the ability to bypass it to the Internet. But that been shipping money to Seattle. Now we get to keep a little more of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Bringing in a company that is practically a monopoly in its sector is not going to grow the economy. The retail sector in general, not just internet, is much smaller world now thanks to Amazon. If any incentives are to be given, it should be to small startups. Growth should occur at the grassroots level. Growing an economy while at the same time hurting yourself with bad deals is not very good.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
It will grow the local economy.

The Internet in general, and Amazon in particular has taken a big chunk out of the local retail business. At least now well get a piece of that back.

Don't take the statement as me shedding any tears for local retail. Retail in NYC has always been a huge rippoff. I love the ability to bypass it to the Internet. But that been shipping money to Seattle. Now we get to keep a little more of it.
We? What we? What are we getting back? We are giving up a lot for them to be here. This only benefits Amazon and perhaps whoever they hire. Are you planning on getting job with Amazon? Is Amazon guaranteed only to hire native NYers or whoever that counts as? Are they going to send their employees out to lunch only at the small mom and pop restaurants or bodegas already there or get delivery from them only?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: