Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 05:54 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I know that they perform much better academically (the kids), but that's a separate issue from the poverty issue.

Most of the Asian kids at the specialized high schools come from high poverty families/qualify for a free school lunch
There are many Chinese homeowners in Brooklyn and Queens. There are no neighborhoods in New York City that I know of with a lot of Mexican homeowners. To me that's a clear indication that one group has more financial pull than the other. Especially considering how many Chinese are buying houses for over 1 million dollars.

I also don't think academics are separate from poverty, people with college degrees make way more money on average than those without.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 06:00 PM

60 posts, read 58,735 times
"Raymond Chan, a real estate broker in Marine Park, moved to Sheepshead Bay two decades ago, buying a house for $150,000. Now he helps Chinese families move there from Sunset Park and Bensonhurst in search of larger plots of land. He said the prices of single-family homes in Sheepshead Bay and Marine Park ranged from $500,000 to over $1 million."

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/n...-brooklyn.html

Old 01-01-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicep20 View Post
"Raymond Chan, a real estate broker in Marine Park, moved to Sheepshead Bay two decades ago, buying a house for $150,000. Now he helps Chinese families move there from Sunset Park and Bensonhurst in search of larger plots of land. He said the prices of single-family homes in Sheepshead Bay and Marine Park ranged from $500,000 to over $1 million."

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/n...-brooklyn.html
That was 3 years ago, they're certainly more expensive now

Old 01-01-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
That was 3 years ago, they're certainly more expensive now
Agreed and almost 4 years ago. Same thing has happened to Sunset Park and Bensonhurst. In a way the Chinese influx has ignited a wave of gentrification.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:15 PM

The demos of Sheepshead Bay are really interesting. You go 1 or 2 blocks north of Avenue U to Avenue S or T and you hit Madison which is almost entirely Orthodox Jews who have pushed south from Midwood. Extraordinarily expensive homes.

That's why I believe the Chinese influx will go south along the train line towards Sheepshead Bay Road, not north towards Madison and Midwood. Houses are too expensive there, and the Orthodox community is always growing.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:23 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:

I also don't think academics are separate from poverty, people with college degrees make way more money on average than those without.
Of course, the CHILDREN of Chinese immigrants are largely college-bound, and may largely be professionals (I don't know the statistics).

But Chinese immigrants themselves? (not their Chinese-American children) Do they have a high poverty rate or not?

Old 01-01-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Of course, the CHILDREN of Chinese immigrants are largely college-bound, and may largely be professionals (I don't know the statistics).

But Chinese immigrants themselves? (not their Chinese-American children) Do they have a high poverty rate or not?
I don't know the exact poverty rate for either group, but I believe what I said about there being more Chinese immigrants with means compared to Mexican immigrants is true. I'm sure Mexicans would have purchased houses in Sunset Park too if they could afford it.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:09 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
I don't know the exact poverty rate for either group, but I believe what I said about there being more Chinese immigrants with means compared to Mexican immigrants is true. I'm sure Mexicans would have purchased houses in Sunset Park too if they could afford it.
Not true necessarily. Not everyone prioritizes home ownership

Old 01-01-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Not true necessarily. Not everyone prioritizes home ownership
Mexican people do buy houses when they can afford them, so I think it's an economic barrier preventing them from doing so in NYC.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:04 AM

1,110 posts, read 983,740 times
To tell the truth, NYC real estate is really cheap for many CHinese immigrants. They sell their second home in CHina and can use the money to buy a multimillion dollar house in NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City