Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 10:28 PM

11 posts, read 8,737 times

Advertisements

Long story short. I inherited this property. The house is now in contract. 3rd Floor tenants are leaving but 2nd floor tenants arent budging. On the 2nd floor its just the mother who is only home on weekends and her two adult kids. I gave them a 30 day notice and told them the new owner wants the place empty. Today I go over there and the 2nd floor tenant moved in a bed. Ive offered them money to leave, assistance in finding adequate housing but this woman refuses. I was told by someone the mom doesnt have papers and works off the books and basically its harder for her to find 3 bedroom apartment for 1500. I really dont want to go to court. Im trying to resolve this amicably but she is being difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 06:01 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,330,522 times
This is easy she's illegal.

ICE has a tip line that you can call to report illegal immigrants anonymously. ... Call 866-DHS-2-ICE to report

Problem solved costs you nothing. Real estate is a business not moral issue.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:25 AM

26 posts, read 24,505 times
I am having same issue.I went to lawyer and he is asking for 1500.00 to start process.I didnt give any written notice to leave.Where would i get 30 day notice to leave or do i write it up myself?

Old 12-03-2018, 08:21 PM

419 posts, read 626,249 times
They have six months. Start the process ASAP.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:54 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartBrokenchild View Post
Long story short. I inherited this property. The house is now in contract. 3rd Floor tenants are leaving but 2nd floor tenants arent budging. On the 2nd floor its just the mother who is only home on weekends and her two adult kids. I gave them a 30 day notice and told them the new owner wants the place empty. Today I go over there and the 2nd floor tenant moved in a bed. Ive offered them money to leave, assistance in finding adequate housing but this woman refuses. I was told by someone the mom doesnt have papers and works off the books and basically its harder for her to find 3 bedroom apartment for 1500. I really dont want to go to court. Im trying to resolve this amicably but she is being difficult.
Does she have lease? If she does, she has right to stay until end of lease. If rent stabilized she gets first choice for renewing. You cannot just get rid of her. Even with no lease if she been there, she has squatter rights. You need to get a lawyer. It can take a long time. You do have to go to court to do this though.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone13176 View Post
I am having same issue.I went to lawyer and he is asking for 1500.00 to start process.I didnt give any written notice to leave.Where would i get 30 day notice to leave or do i write it up myself?
Just type up any letter keep copy for yourself, and mail certified, and post it on her door, and take picture. You will have to shop around for lawyers.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowplayer2 View Post
They have six months. Start the process ASAP.
It can take longer than that, if they find a good lawyer.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:58 PM

If someone is living there for more than month, they are considered to be a resident.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:02 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartBrokenchild View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone13176 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Does she have lease? If she does, she has right to stay until end of lease. If rent stabilized she gets first choice for renewing. You cannot just get rid of her. Even with no lease if she been there, she has squatter rights. You need to get a lawyer. It can take a long time. You do have to go to court to do this though.

If you ever find a good lawyer, let me know. I like to be prepared incase this ever happened to me. NYC is very tenant friendly. I asked my law professor if he would do it. He said I was too small and does buildings. He works in the Chrysler building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
This is easy she's illegal.

ICE has a tip line that you can call to report illegal immigrants anonymously. ... Call 866-DHS-2-ICE to report

Problem solved costs you nothing. Real estate is a business not moral issue.

Going to have to agree with gx on this one.

Build the wall. MAGA.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
If you ever find a good lawyer, let me know. I like to be prepared incase this ever happened to me. NYC is very tenant friendly. I asked my law professor if he would do it. He said I was too small and does buildings. He works in the Chrysler building.
Landlord/tenant lawyers or RE lawyers are the most ubiquitous in NYC. You should have no problem finding one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City