Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 09:15 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,056 times

Advertisements

I really don't think gay bars/clubs are as much in danger as some would have you believe. I spend most of my weekends in the city, and Hell's Kitchen is packed to the gills on Friday/Saturday nights. Therapy, Industry, Ritz, Rise, DBL, Hardware, the list goes on, are all very happening. Circuit parties are entering a new golden era in New York also. You'd be hard pressed to find a weekend in New York where there wasn't one happening, and they are always very well attended. Grindr and other apps made it easier to connect, but my generation is still very much into going out and having a good time.

On a side note, I was never a fan of Boxers, both the one in Philly and the couple in New York. It just seemed like a standard bar with nothing special about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 10:58 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Bluedog,
That is quite the site.
Nobody mentioned PETER RABBIT (10th and West) where I met the love of my life 45 years ago this month. (He died two days before New Years Eve.)

Old 02-07-2019, 11:27 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Bluedog,
That is quite the site.
Nobody mentioned PETER RABBIT (10th and West) where I met the love of my life 45 years ago this month. (He died two days before New Years Eve.)

wait , i think there was 'cAndle bar" omg, on 9th, if memory serves me correct ??
KK do you remember that one? or maybe I got the name wrong.

I also dont think there are as many circuit parties like there used to be, and when there are, it always seems like something else predominates it, where as when we were in our 40's we were there, and got down with the genie.

eh, now, gimme a pillow and call it a night.

somehow at this point in life "papouli" has other things to do....

Old 02-07-2019, 01:08 PM

I wish I still had my papouli.

Yes there was definitely a CANDLE BAR, 309 Amsterdam. It was fun after Lincoln Center or the Beacon Theater. It MIGHT still be there????

Old 02-07-2019, 03:49 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,034 times
if no one goes to these bars and spends $ then the bars will close

why are you mad? you never went and spend any $

Old 02-07-2019, 07:00 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
I wish I still had my papouli.

Yes there was definitely a CANDLE BAR, 309 Amsterdam. It was fun after Lincoln Center or the Beacon Theater. It MIGHT still be there????

it means grandfather in greek, (I do have grandkids)

ok, it was candle bar,

Old 02-07-2019, 07:02 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
I remember the UES/Yorkville of the '70's with a large collection of diverse gay bars.
So, flash forward half a lifetime and we moved there.
One lousy tiny gay bar, THE TOOL BOX, whish felt claustrophobic and antediluvian.
So last year, BOXERS opened on Third Avenue, some weird combination of Gay Sports Bar <DO those words even GO together.>
I was reticent but we decided to test the waters New Years Eve. My husband died suddenly Dec. 29. My normal response to deadly stress is a bar...gay child of the '50'a what else was there.

So two weeks later I thought, maybe somebody to talk to. AND THEY WERE CLOSED ALREADY.

That's when you know that God is giving you the finger.

What, 6 months? Do they even HAVE 6 month leases?

Don't feel bad.
Even the straight bars I used to frequent are closing up one after another.
Society has gone from upwardly mobile to inwardly stagnant............
Try everyday to find something that will make you smile.
Surround yourself with people period and be patient.
They will come around...............

Hoping that each day passes your tears are replaced with loving memories.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

Hoping that each day passes your tears are replaced with loving memories.

It is the loving memories that bring on the tears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City