Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 08:22 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times

Advertisements

The US is one giant greedy machine and has become quite disgusting, and not just on the financial aspects. I'd say we're in our second Gilded Age and possibly we're the new Forgotten Generation or w/e it's called (you know, the grandparents of the Baby Boomers). Quit Barney's and work somewhere else. At least we're in NYC where there are jobs, you could be stuck in a rural town with only a McDonalds as an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 08:49 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Because no other generation has had the major stable factors of (Middle) Class Mobility skyrocket as this one has.

Healthcare, Housing, and College are on a skyrocketing trajectory.

300% increase in healthcare premiums.
Housing up 63% in the last 20 years- based on rent and square footage sales.
SUNY Tuition 5K in 2000 vs 16K Today
NYU Tuition 24K in 2000 vs 52K Today.

That's why.
My proposal : Cease social security payments until boomers have expired all their own assets. Raise Medicare age to 75 backlogged for every American. Then we can see what generations complain.
Where did you get those numbers from and what location are they applicable to? Is it NYC?

You do realize that there is a big country out there, outside of the 5 boroughs right? I doubt housing in Upstate for example went up 63%.

And don't you just love how the Leftist propaganda is now blaming all the social ills on the older generation and social security? Social Security has been around for a long time, way before the housing booms and college tuition rise. How do they explain that?

Why don't they explain instead all of their welfare, government programs, raising minimum wages, employer mandated healthcare, unions, all the creative new taxes have done to the cost of living and doing business in this city and state?

Notice the liberal media don't tell you that?

Old 03-22-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Because this generation has to pay more than people in the past did for everything. Wages have not risen with inflation. If anyone is entitled, it's the big companies thinking they're entitlted to get labor so cheap that their employees literally have to be on food stamps even with a full time job. It's people born in the 50s through 70s who don't know how to count on their fingers or watching any media besides fox news who actually believe in this corporate darwinism bull**** who don't realize (or are too ****ed up on percosett to care) about how much it's ruined the economy in this country, and yet think they're entitlted to social security and benefits and things which are largely being paid by current young people who additionally have to pay 3x for college and 4x for housing
Yes, god forbid there should be another voice in an otherwise 95% singular liberal-Leftist dominated media echo chamber that the public have access to.

Like I said one post up, let's attack the old people who can't work for getting government assistance but lay off the abled bodied ghetto welfare queens and kings who besides pay very little taxes, gets free housing, free healthcare, free education, and soon if the City gets its way, free bus and subway fares in addition to all the other free stuffs I may have missed.

And this is not even gettng into the fact that this group is responsible for a disproportionate amount of crime and murders in the country for which the public then has to pay for as well.

But yes, let's complain about the old people instead, who BTW worked their whole lives and paid a life's worth of taxes.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:50 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,599 times
McDonald's Burger King Starbucks is hiring, 15$ an hour minimum

Old 03-22-2019, 04:42 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Those employees who don't like it can go elsewhere. It is not a birth right that you have to work for Barneys.
Hopefully they do, and no one else willing to take up the commission based at Barney's and they go out of business. Then Barney will have to offer base salary and then put commission on top.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:09 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Quote:
Where did you get those numbers from and what location are they applicable to? Is it NYC?

You do realize that there is a big country out there, outside of the 5 boroughs right? I doubt housing in Upstate for example went up 63%.

And don't you just love how the Leftist propaganda is now blaming all the social ills on the older generation and social security? Social Security has been around for a long time, way before the housing booms and college tuition rise. How do they explain that?

Why don't they explain instead all of their welfare, government programs, raising minimum wages, employer mandated healthcare, unions, all the creative new taxes have done to the cost of living and doing business in this city and state?

Notice the liberal media don't tell you that?
See sources below.
All of the data are specific to Lower New York.

I don't solely ingest liberal or sensational media..
Social Security is a system based on perpetual growth. As that growth in this country slows, it creates major deficits in the funding model. One looks no further than the first recipient, Ida Mae Fuller, to recognize a potential major flaw in SS.
The previous generation identified this, and kicked the can downwards- rather than delay retirement collection on their event, regardless of much longer average lifespans.

I don't quite get the relevant of welfare, gov't programs, minimum wages, unions, etc?
Aside from the fact these 'luxuries' create unfunded deficits when the City/State are not financially doing as well.

People should identify these terrible politics. Both Cuomo and DeBlasio refuse to offer solutions other than tax whoever can afford it.

I left.
Most intelligent people without major ties to the region should.

But I wouldn't ignore how disenfranchised today's youth feel about things- and I certainly encourage if a time comes where they take full political power, that they might consider rather than kicking the can down the road- collect bills from those who passed their debts onto them.

Sources -

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...you-2018-10-10
https://www.brickunderground.com/buy...r-10-years-NYC
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/11/manh...quare-foo.html
https://www.chronicle.com/interactives/tuition-and-fees
https://www.nasi.org/discuss/2011/02...ty-improvement

Old 03-23-2019, 03:43 AM

^ Your links prove that your premise is all over the place. You are using national healthcare and college tuition numbers but the housing numbers are from NYC and Manhattan. Like I said, there is a great big country out there and most Americans don't live in Manhattan (population of Manhattan is just .4% of the U.S. population) so the high cost of living numbers you cited clearly does not apply to most Americans.

How can then a whole generation of Americans be affected by Manhattan housing costs?

Next thing. If you don't know what the relevance between government spending on welfare and social programs and social security then you clearly don't have much of a clue.

Government money in the form of Social Security or welfare or other subsidies are still money. You are focusing strictly on Social Security but ignoring all the other huge expenditures like welfare, food stamps, medicaid/Obamacare, HUD / section 8 subsidies, etc. They are all the same government money.

The difference like I said is that Social Security is for old people who can no longer work but they contributed to it throughout their working lives. The other stuff like welfare, food stamps, Obamacare, housing subsidies are mostly for younger (not old) people who are able to work. This group also pay very little in taxes and frankly contribute almost nothing to the country or society except cause strife and crime.

You are excoriating one group (people who worked) but are ignoring another group (people who don't work). That shows how ridiculous your argument is.

And while you don't think you have been programmed by Leftist ideas, you clearly do, at least with this idea about this generation being financially burdened because of S.S.I. Just because you don't like de Blasio or Cuomo doesn't mean you haven't been influenced by Leftist ideas.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:24 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times
Some effed up smoke in everyone's buns.

SS ? Cant take that away,you crazy? Its Paid into for those who pay taxes. It ain't much anyways.

Barney,eff em. You cant keep hiring part timers,but keep those management incentives alive. Bet there is no pay freeze there. Hire part timers,on call ,with no benefits. One should beg the employer to keep the lights on? Yes master,do as you want with me!

Old 03-23-2019, 08:04 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
You don't like want Barney is doing???? DON"T SHOP AT BARNEYS!!! Talk with your money.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:00 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Quote:
^ Your links prove that your premise is all over the place. You are using national healthcare and college tuition numbers but the housing numbers are from NYC and Manhattan. Like I said, there is a great big country out there and most Americans don't live in Manhattan (population of Manhattan is just .4% of the U.S. population) so the high cost of living numbers you cited clearly does not apply to most Americans.

How can then a whole generation of Americans be affected by Manhattan housing costs?

Next thing. If you don't know what the relevance between government spending on welfare and social programs and social security then you clearly don't have much of a clue.

Government money in the form of Social Security or welfare or other subsidies are still money. You are focusing strictly on Social Security but ignoring all the other huge expenditures like welfare, food stamps, medicaid/Obamacare, HUD / section 8 subsidies, etc. They are all the same government money.

The difference like I said is that Social Security is for old people who can no longer work but they contributed to it throughout their working lives. The other stuff like welfare, food stamps, Obamacare, housing subsidies are mostly for younger (not old) people who are able to work. This group also pay very little in taxes and frankly contribute almost nothing to the country or society except cause strife and crime.

You are excoriating one group (people who worked) but are ignoring another group (people who don't work). That shows how ridiculous your argument is.

And while you don't think you have been programmed by Leftist ideas, you clearly do, at least with this idea about this generation being financially burdened because of S.S.I. Just because you don't like de Blasio or Cuomo doesn't mean you haven't been influenced by Leftist ideas.
The post is relevant to BARNEYS of New York, which is in Manhattan- so I pulled numbers regarding Manhattan. You've done nothing to refute this other than made baseless claims.
My premise is exactly where it needs to be on this one.

I'm aware of what social programs are and their existence, but they have nothing to do with the original post or the post I created explaining the issue. You're using this as a soap box against the poor.

You have an issue with people don't work... but people who DID work and now do not?
You either contribute, or you don't. Same situation.
If you believe Social Security is for people who ONCE contributed, then it needs to be financially guaranteed for ALL who are working, which means earmarked money that CANNOT be borrowed against. This isn't the case.

I never sided with any of the 'groups'. You don't have the slightest understanding of my ideas or ideals.
Budget for yourself. Let the poor die in the streets, and let the retired die in the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: