Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 07:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times

Advertisements

I am seeing THE FERRYMAN tomorrow, Broadway at the Bernard Jacobs theaer. Has anyone else seen it? Did you like it?

Critics all went wild for it, with multiple comparisons to JERUSALEM, Jez Butterworth's earlier play, among the half dozen best plays of my long life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 12:25 PM

282 posts, read 575,542 times
I LOVED it. Thought it was one of the best things I have ever seen. However, I saw it with the original cast so I don't know how the new cast will measure up, but I'm sure they'll be great. It's a fantastic play--reminded me a lot of O'Neill.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:03 PM

6 posts, read 5,451 times
Saw it opening night. Also thought it was one of the best plays I've ever saw. Laughed, cried, thoroughly entertained. And what an ending!

Old 03-26-2019, 01:24 PM

123 posts, read 96,752 times
Best play I've seen in years. I saw the original cast so can't speak of this one, but it can't be bad.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:39 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times
I didn't see Jerusalem, but I did enjoy Ferryman. It's sprawling indeed. I would recommend reading up on "the Troubles" before you go. I didn't, and I didn't understand everything that was going on.

This is slightly spoilerish:
Spoiler
I didn't realize that the violence in Ferryman is Catholic vs. Catholic. I kept trying to figure out who the Protestants were, but that was not relevant. I guess each side of the conflict kills members of its own side if they think they are spies, or traitors, or whatever.

I would also study up on banshees and what they symbolize/foretell.

Enjoy!

Old 03-27-2019, 03:32 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Absolutely Wonderful afternoon. Not sure of the original cast but Brian d'Arcy James as Quinn was perect. I was surprised to see it offered at the TKTS booth at ($58 to $98.) Mine was a senior center lottery win. orchestra side near the center aisle.

Yes, I saw the O'Neill homages too. At the play's very beginning when wife, Mary, comes down the stairs suffering "a virus" (obviously severe depression) one cannot help but recall MARY Tyrone (even same first name) in LONG DAYS JOURNEY.I could easily picture Katherine Hepburn, Coleen Dewhurst or Jessica Lange. (My repertoire of Mary Tyrones.)
Same with all the booze consumption (Jamie Tyrone) and discord within a family.

Thanks for the tip about reading up on "The Troubles" and "Disappearances" and also Bobby Sands and the other hunger strikers. I got well-honed in advance.

The play let the Britisah off too easy but Thacher's radio speech was as word perfect...as it was monstrous. Of course, a few more amplifications would have had the audience in their seats until tomorrow morning.

Yes, Catholic vs. Catholic was eye opening.

If you see the play, get headphones, it helps with some heavy brogue dialogue.

I am so sorry that my partner was not there with me to enjoy the play. It is the first Broadway play I have seen alone since 1968. At some points about love lost, I wept mightily...but quietly I hope.

Last edited by Kefir King; 03-27-2019 at 03:50 PM..

Old 03-27-2019, 07:21 PM

What a touching post, Kefir. I am so sorry for your loss, but I give you credit for forging on without your partner. I'm glad you enjoyed the show, and I'm also happy that the American cast is up to snuff.

I love Brian d'arcy James. I saw him as King George in Hamilton down at the Public and was thrilled to see him again on Broadway.

If you're in the mood for more Irish playwrighting, I'm hearing that Juno and the Paycock at the Irish Rep is extraordinary. The magnificent MaryAnn Plunkett, an American, is bringing down the house. I'm going to look for a ticket right now!

Old 03-27-2019, 08:00 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I am so sorry that my partner was not there with me to enjoy the play. It is the first Broadway play I have seen alone since 1968. At some points about love lost, I wept mightily...but quietly I hope.
Aww KK, I'll be your date for plays...But only if we get cheap tickets

Old 03-27-2019, 10:23 PM

5,125 posts, read 4,972,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Absolutely Wonderful afternoon.

I don't quite understand people would waste money self-torturing with such heart-breaking artificial plays...it can be as addictive as cocaine. you could better use that money for organic food supplies to stay healthy and fit.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:41 AM

Human beings have created and craved art since time immemorial. I tend to think that means art is very important to our well-being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City