Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 08:17 AM

4 posts, read 1,877 times

Advertisements

Because it should be. Some liberal states just love being taxed for everything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 12:25 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,312,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It really is maybe one of the single greatest examples of government overstepping their bounds. When a government starts interfering between sellers and buyers, and telling the seller what kind of bags they can provide their customers, and how much they can charge for it, regardless of if it is for a good cause or not (personally I think it is not), what is left that government can't get involved in at that point? The government is now micromanaging the relationship between customers and private businesses. They pretty much have total control now, of people and private business.

Personally it's just another reason for me to shop online. Where my single item will come in a cardboard box 20 times bigger than the item, and filled with plastic bubble wrap, equal to probably 50 plastic bags.
You took the words right out of my mouth.
This trending rapidly spreading abuse of power is just unprecedented. Way overstepping than ever before. It would be unimaginable just two decades ago to legislate such a thing. They tend to bend the concepts of market laws and constitution in many states and nationwide to justify their agenda, and the increasingly progressive judges increasingly parden them in court. There is no scientific evidence of benefits except the ones they made up, but only for ordinances that also punishes end users directly for being served by a store. Essentially cities/states are basically deputizing the server, owner, or other front line personnel in customer service, which should only happen in authoritarian places. Interestingly the once unthinkables are now condoned in favor of this one world movement. How could cities and states get away with West Lynn Creamery Inc. v. Healy, 512 U.S. 186 (1994) Now many national retailers would need to deal with a city to city-state to state patch work of bans, requirements, and min fee structure not to mention complicated recordkeeping requirements on each bag sold/given out to ensure compliance. Interestingly how cities and states haven't been busted running afoul of this act. And constitutional issues within individual state as well i.e Massachusetts Constitution, amended Article 2, which prohibits municipalities from enacting private or civil laws governing civil relationships. This is just one example, other governments around the country also have no doubt ignored U.S. and state laws and constitutions in enacting their bans.

Scientific evidence are ignored as well https://assets.publishing.service.go...11buan-e-e.pdf Shows that forced fees on bags are much worse the the environment and climate change. Yet the warnings from scientists fall onto deaf ears by these progressive groups and brainwashed politicians who become even more rabid in covering the map around the globe with their social engineering agenda via repeating their lies, half truths, and make up numbers on medias and council meetings.

https://cei.org/blog/plastic-bag-ban...more-harm-good
I be curious where is the real text of the legislation? And can cornstarch(As done in some parts of the world) be used in place of plastic or paper in NYS?

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 04-10-2019 at 12:44 PM..

Old 04-10-2019, 01:05 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
What's the rationale for giving free plastic bags to low income people?
because low income people are the most responsible members of society and they would never pollute or leave bags flying around like slobs

Old 04-11-2019, 10:38 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
because low income people are the most responsible members of society and they would never pollute or leave bags flying around like slobs
Nor do they throw their garbage out of the window... Said no one ever...

Old 04-11-2019, 10:45 AM

522 posts, read 992,509 times
They should charge $50 or $100 for every plastic bag. Let's see then if customers are willing to bring their own reusable bags.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:29 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shet View Post
They should charge $50 or $100 for every plastic bag. Let's see then if customers are willing to bring their own reusable bags.
I know you're joking but $1 would be a good fee. Anybody who really needs it is going to pay

Old 04-11-2019, 05:00 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Where did you get the idea that plastic bags were free?? Plastic bags will be BANNED in supermarkets. You can buy a PAPER bag for $0.05. I wish people would learn how to read and stop complaining. I've been using reusable cotton "Made in USA" bags for YEARS now OR I use paper bags.

If any bags will be free to the poor it will be the reusables. Plastic bags will be left for take out food as well as meats. In other words where alternatives don't work because of the risk of leakage or tearing in the case of paper bags.

Many NYers use plastic bags for their garbage. We will now have to buy them instead of re using plastic bags that we get for our groceries. Not sure how much less plastic will be around.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I know you're joking but $1 would be a good fee. Anybody who really needs it is going to pay

I will as I don't plan to spend all day walking around with a reusable unless I have no choice.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

Personally it's just another reason for me to shop online. Where my single item will come in a cardboard box 20 times bigger than the item, and filled with plastic bubble wrap, equal to probably 50 plastic bags.

In fact it is already predicted that a city like NYC where many don't go shopping as they do in the suburbs many will do this. More stress for brick and mortar stores.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:55 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I will as I don't plan to spend all day walking around with a reusable unless I have no choice.
Same. If all they have is those reusable bags then I will buy them and use them as my garbage. Or get a stack and give them to good will who will probably throw them away. Now that it warming up I go for runs in the park and stop at the grocery store after I head home on the train. Like hell I'm running with bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City