Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 11:22 PM

700 posts, read 421,754 times

Advertisements

Rosedale/Nassau County
Hook Creek Blvd pretty much divides Queens and Nassau County in Southeast Queens.

Coney Island & Sea Gate
W 37th for Coney Island and Sea Gate but this isn't anything impressive since Sea Gate is a gated community.

Bay Ridge & Sunset Park
'Im assuming 60th Street is a dividing line for Sunset Park and Bay Ridge or is it 65th Street?

East Flatbush and Flatlands
Not really a street per say but that underground empty railroad track between Ave H and Ave I from Flatbush Ave to Albany ave is a boarder.

That underground railroad track also divides Flatbush/Kensington and Midwood (between Ave H and Ave I as well)

Canarsie/Flatlands
Ralph Ave splits both of these communities even though the 50s is often referred to Canarsie which is wrong.

Brownsville and East Flatbush
East 98th street divides these two areas even though people claim the 90s to be Brownsville which is wrong and lately people in the area are now rightfully calling it East Flatbush compared to back in the day.

Prospect Lefferts Gardens & Flatbush
Clarkson Ave would be the dividing line here.

Prospect Lefferts Grdens and Crown Heights
Empire Blvd would be the dividing line here.

East New York and Brownsville
Pretty sure thats the L train or better yet that creepy looking street named Van Sinderan Ave.

Canarsie/East New York
Williams Ave

Bed Stuy and Bushwick
Broadway

Crown Heights and Prospect Heights
realtors have been pushing Prospect Heights boarder more east but when I was a kid, before gentrification Washington Ave was definitely the boarder between these two areas.

Ocean Hill and Crown Heights
That would be Ralph Ave even though there is a subset area called Weeksville which I believe is between Utica Ave and Ralph Ave

Once you hit Bed Stuy I believe Howard Ave is the boarder street to Ocean Hill.

The hardest section of NYC to know the boarder streets are The South Bronx, all of Queens, and Staten Island.

Brooklyn is pretty easy. Usually its the patterns of the street change which is a good indicator such as Halsey St switching direction once you intersect Broadway which indicates you are in Bushwick, or the streets change such as Avenue N changing direction and streets to 60th ST once you enter Borough Park or Rutland Road changing to Sutter Ave when you hit East 98th Street. Or you when numbered streets end entirely. For example after East 108th street in Canarsie you pretty much know you are in East New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McVinney View Post
Chinese community is growing in Marine Park ---- during the AM rush hour the B3 bus headed west down Avenue U to the Brighton Line is already majority Chinese passengers.

The Pakistani community is centered at Flatbush Ave and Kings Highway not really large numbers however.
Pakistani probably have more numbers in Midwood and Kensington then they do on Flatbush Ave and Kings Hwy. I would say the largest ethnic group on Flatbush Ave and Kings Hwy are people from Haiti.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
Lenox/Malcolm X Blvd in dividing West and East Harlem
I always assumed it was 5th avenue because of Central Park (For the part that is between 96th and 110th)

Old 05-07-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerNYC View Post
IMO, East FB should be from Clarkson to Avenue H from New York Avenue to Utica.. north of Clarkson should be Wingate or an extension of PLG and from Utica to East 98 should be called like "Erasmus" or something like that.. sometimes people say that they live in EFB, in my mind I think by the cemetery or by the Optimum store, but they say "East 90xx" by the 3 train. I don't think anyone thinks of EFB when they think the 3 train lol, it's too broad.
technically speaking its already that (Referring to your Wingate comment). My families church is located on Albany and Midwood St and almost everyone in the community refers to that area as Crown Heights even though technically its "Wingate".

Old 05-08-2019, 12:15 PM

34,078 posts, read 47,269,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
technically speaking its already that (Referring to your Wingate comment). My families church is located on Albany and Midwood St and almost everyone in the community refers to that area as Crown Heights even though technically its "Wingate".
Albany and Midwood, Crown Heights? nahh

Crown Heights doesn't start until Empire

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-08-2019, 03:48 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,081,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
That Cypress Hills Street is a great shortcut from Fresh Pond over to East N.Y. I used to work with a guy who would start singing that song by Cypress Hills in that Cypress Hill guy's accent every time we made the turn:

"So you wanna be a rock super stawr, drive fancy cawrs..."
They really have tried to make Cypress Hills Street safer. There must have been a lot of accidents as vehicles sped through the curves downhill. You can also see Houdini's grave from the street as you drive by.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:56 PM

179 posts, read 109,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McVinney View Post
Chinese community is growing in Marine Park ---- during the AM rush hour the B3 bus headed west down Avenue U to the Brighton Line is already majority Chinese passengers.

The Pakistani community is centered at Flatbush Ave and Kings Highway not really large numbers however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
Pakistani probably have more numbers in Midwood and Kensington then they do on Flatbush Ave and Kings Hwy. I would say the largest ethnic group on Flatbush Ave and Kings Hwy are people from Haiti.

I agree twice --- yes the Pakistani community in Flatlands is small compared to the community centered around Coney Island Avenue ---- and Haitians seem to be the largest ethnicity where Flatbush ave meets Kings Highway.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:23 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,862,321 times
For Western Queens...

36th Avenue - Long Island City/Astoria

39th Street - Long Island City/Sunnyside

Roosevelt Ave - Jackson Heights/Elmhurst

Metropolitan Ave - Maspeth/Ridgewood

Old 05-10-2019, 08:52 AM

313 posts, read 212,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
For Western Queens...

36th Avenue - Long Island City/Astoria

39th Street - Long Island City/Sunnyside

Roosevelt Ave - Jackson Heights/Elmhurst

Metropolitan Ave - Maspeth/Ridgewood
I thought the LIC/Astoria border was Broadway?

Old 05-10-2019, 12:03 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,862,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerNYC View Post
I thought the LIC/Astoria border was Broadway?
I think the border is generally gray. Long time residents would probably say it's closer to Broadway. Newer residents and real estate agents would probably say it's closer to 36th Ave.

Historically, the entire area was Long Island City before various hamlets and sub-neighborhoods took greater distinction, so I guess that's why it's still up for debate today.

I prefer to say 36th Ave because 1) it's more or less the dividing line between a predominantly industrial area to the south and a more residential area to the north and 2) it's essentially the border between the 11101 and 11106 zip codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City